The Nissan Club banner

2001 Sentra blowing fuse

7K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  d0ugmac1 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 01 Sentra that died on me after starting and putting it in gear. Found that the ignition fuse 15 amp keeps on blowing. Looked over the harness did not see any shorts. What could be causing this, bad ecm? Is there a ignition control module? Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Any codes ! Must have something wrong somewhere , A short somewhere for sure .

#3 ·
Fuses that keep blowing like this are usually because of an open wire grounded out. Just because you dont immediately see an issue doesnt mean it isnt there. Remember fuses are simple devices, they simply pass current up to a certain amperage and then they pop. The fuse is doing its job, now you have to do yours....find the open short. Look at the starter connections also.............

#4 ·
You won't find codes for this kind of short, not any that make sense anyways. As above, you will need to find the path that is shorting to ground. Start with the FSM for your car and check the power distribution section, find the root and all the branches for the fuse that is blowing...being the 'ignition' circuit it could go a whole lot of places. Back to basics, start with the wiring diagram PG section if I recall and figure out what is feeding the fuse and what the fuse is then feeding power to. With the batter disconnected and using an ohmeter, check the resistance to ground on the downstream side of the fuse. It should be 0 or close to if you're blowing a 15A. Examine the harness diagram, are there points in it where you can disconnect branches of the circuits fed by the fuse that is blowing? Disconnect one at a time until the ohmeter reads a significantly higher resistance, I would expect 1000 ohms or higher. Figure out what circuit(s) you disconnected and then break down individual components and wire runs. For instance, if you disconnected one wire that feeds one device/item/module that makes a difference, reconnect it, and then disconnect the item itself and see if that makes the same difference...if yes, the item is defective, if no, then wire to the item is the problem. One other thing to check is the ignition switch itself.

Going on what you said about starting the car and then putting it in gear and then blam...nothing. Sounds like the movement of the engine/transmission in the mounts is related to whatever is shorting out the fuse...so I would spend more time in the engine compartment than the interior.

#5 ·
Ok here is an update.Tracked down short to coil was the two wire plug that was on the front side of the distributor. Using the wiring diagram I checked for continuity and did not find any. Ran new wire fron ECM to dist. Car starts now but will not rev over 2800 rpm hits rev limiter. Threw a new MAF in and no change. I am getting a p505 iac code but I dont think that is related. Also getting EGR code forget the number. What else sends a car into limp mode?

#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.