Changing spark plugs - am I wrong? - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-26-2010, 12:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Changing spark plugs - am I wrong?

Went to change my spark plugs yesterday and... wth? Do you seriously have to remove the manifold to get at the plugs??!! I can't see any other way to get at them.

Anyone done this? Advice? Tips?

Also, what's the life on the plugs? I got a lemon engine and got a brand new one around 12k, but I don't know if they replaced or reused things like plugs (my guess is they reused). I'm at 20k now. It still idles and runs smoothly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-28-2010, 12:30 AM
Import Tech.

Plugs are due every 105,000 miles , and yea they can live that long ... Yes, you have to pull the intake manifold, so you will need the manifold 0-rings ...Its a super easy Manifold to remove ...

Use only NGK plugs on these and they are Platinum , spend the extra for Iridium, they tend to hold up better ...

SHAWN
Ger-Brock & Co. Portland OR.
'99 G20t Driver
'09 Sentra FE+ Wifes
'98 Sentra SE Time Attack
'09 Titan CC LB SE
'93 Altima SE 5 spd. 13.97 @ 97 MPH ..All Motor ..
( Sold )
'93 G20 12.0 @ 119 MPH Built SR20DET
( Sold )
My Nissan Site !!
#3 Old 03-01-2011, 03:20 AM

Garage
spark plugs

would you need the same ones for a 07 sentra s. 2.0
#4 Old 03-01-2011, 03:22 AM

Garage
saprk plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAWN View Post
Plugs are due every 105,000 miles , and yea they can live that long ... Yes, you have to pull the intake manifold, so you will need the manifold 0-rings ...Its a super easy Manifold to remove ...

Use only NGK plugs on these and they are Platinum , spend the extra for Iridium, they tend to hold up better ...
would you need the same ones for 07 sentra s 2.0. thanks
#5 Old 03-01-2011, 03:41 AM

Quote:

The plugs might last 105K miles but if you leave them in that long they can be a bear to remove.......and if they're a 2 piece plug they can break! (don't know if they are, just saying)

I'd have the plugs taken out at no more than 75K miles, but that's me.

Shawn....why do you say to only use the NGK plugs? If you can find another brand plug in the same "heat range" they should be ok shouldn't they?
#6 Old 03-02-2011, 08:10 PM

Garage
were to find

Quote:

Were can I find spark plugs for a 07 sentra I went to NGK website and they didn't have anything available for that model. I also called pepboys and they didn't have it available to. Thank You.

Also do you have to replace the plugs if so were can i find them.Sorry I'm new to this car but i love it.
Thank You.
#7 Old 04-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Import Tech.

I say use NGK , because you will get the best performance, mileage , etc. from the NGK plugs . I have seen issues when using some other brand plugs in most Japanese imports ...

'07 MR20DE up to 7/'09 have the same plug # ... # PLZKAR6A-11

I have done a bunch of Nissans with 105K + on the plugs and have never had an issue ( another reason to use NGK ) ... Some car brands ( Ford for one ) is known for hard to get out plugs , but I have yet to see an issue with the Nissans .... But if your really concerned its a pretty easy plug change so just do it when you want ... I will probably do my wifes '09 at 90K ...

SHAWN
Ger-Brock & Co. Portland OR.
'99 G20t Driver
'09 Sentra FE+ Wifes
'98 Sentra SE Time Attack
'09 Titan CC LB SE
'93 Altima SE 5 spd. 13.97 @ 97 MPH ..All Motor ..
( Sold )
'93 G20 12.0 @ 119 MPH Built SR20DET
( Sold )
My Nissan Site !!

Last edited by SHAWN; 04-11-2011 at 07:49 PM.
#8 Old 03-27-2013, 02:09 AM
rev

Will also be attempting this job on my car. Several posts mentioned the need for intake and throttle body gasket, are these required. Having trouble sourcing them.

allsentra.com-A Nissan Sentra Forum/Sentra Se-r Forum/Sentra Spec-V Forum. All Sentra's(B13,B14,B15,B16 and B17 welcome reguardless of motor or typeView topic - How To: Change MR20 sparkplugs.
#9 Old 04-01-2013, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSentra View Post
The plugs might last 105K miles but if you leave them in that long they can be a bear to remove.......and if they're a 2 piece plug they can break! (don't know if they are, just saying)
What is a "2 piece plug"? I don't recall ever seeing any of those.
#10 Old 06-03-2013, 03:00 PM
rev

Do you guys put anti-seize on the plugs? Most people say it is not needed as the head is aluminum. But what about an NGK plug, is it steel? I mean if it won't hurt anything then might as well put a bit on, no?
#11 Old 06-03-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throckmorton View Post
What is a "2 piece plug"? I don't recall ever seeing any of those.
the FORD F150 with the 3 valve 5.4 TRITON uses a MOTORCRAFT 2 -piece plug that cracks in the middle body of the plug when you try to change them.

if you don't leave them in for 100,000 miles it's less of a problem but some still break......check out the pages of complaints on F150 forums from people who had to pay $1,500 or MORE for a plug change at the dealer because when they crack they charge you more money PER plug for labor. When they crack you have to use a special tool to get the plug out of the head and if pieces fall into the head MORE LABOR!

FORD has like a 10 page bulletin on how to change the plugs......you have to soak them, quarter turn, let em sit, quarter turn ect.....and they still can break.....piece of crap design of a plug.

Last edited by SoCalSentra; 06-03-2013 at 04:53 PM.
#12 Old 06-03-2013, 06:23 PM
rev

Quote:
the FORD F150 with the 3 valve 5.4 TRITON uses a MOTORCRAFT 2 -piece plug that cracks in the middle body of the plug when you try to change them.

if you don't leave them in for 100,000 miles it's less of a problem but some still break......check out the pages of complaints on F150 forums from people who had to pay $1,500 or MORE for a plug change at the dealer because when they crack they charge you more money PER plug for labor. When they crack you have to use a special tool to get the plug out of the head and if pieces fall into the head MORE LABOR!

FORD has like a 10 page bulletin on how to change the plugs......you have to soak them, quarter turn, let em sit, quarter turn ect.....and they still can break.....piece of crap design of a plug.
That's brutal why would they continue to use cheap plugs as such. The dealership should cover the extra charge since it's their design. Is this design the same in current trucks?
#13 Old 06-03-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev View Post
Do you guys put anti-seize on the plugs? Most people say it is not needed as the head is aluminum. But what about an NGK plug, is it steel? I mean if it won't hurt anything then might as well put a bit on, no?
No, best not to as they already have what is effectively an anti-seize coating.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/tb-...1antisieze.pdf

Didn't used to be the case, of course, and lots of people continue to use anti-seize whether they know about this or not.

If you are careful not to over-torque I suppose no harm done and you may have added insurance that they will come out easy the next time.

But if you err on the low torque side, then you run the risk of a bad seal or even the plugs starting to back out in use.

Take your pick. I'd vote for no anti-seize I think.
#14 Old 06-04-2013, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

OOHHHH boy, so true...
Did spark plugs on a Triton engine,biggest pain in the ass job... I will never forget the last back 2 on the drivers side..

2009 Altima coupe 2.5 6spd; my babe!

Amsoil synthetics, LED lights, illuminated kickplates, WC Lathewerks shift knob, Racing Line STS/TB kit/strut bar/RSB/ front & rear end links/ first 4th gen 2.5 with racing Line springs, first 4th gen to swap 7th gen maxima brakes (on 16" wheels).
-Plans for now/future:restored old school wheels in progress/ quad projector retrofit in progress.

Best 1/4 mile; 15.598@88.3MPH factory stock to the tires.

DD/work ride; 2000 Nissan Xterra 4WD V6 5spd
-Damn thing has a taste for blood and all my time, bringing him back to life= taking my money
#15 Old 06-04-2013, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the information. Not being a Ford man, I never knew about the plug problems on the 5.4 Triton.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN SENTRA / 200SX / SE-R FORUMS > B16 2007-2012 Nissan Sentra Discussion (SE-R / Spec-V)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode