Sunroof Wind Defector -- LOUD!! - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2007, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question Sunroof Wind Defector -- LOUD!!

My Altima came with the sunroof wind deflector. When my sunroof is closed, it is EXTREMELY loud in my car... the noise is coming from the sunroof/deflector. Is this normal? I've never had a sunroof deflector before and do not know anyone who does... my dad said it could be something with the ventilation..? hope y'all can help..

On another note, quick question about my car. It's a 3.5SL... right after I start it and put it into drive, as I accelerate it sounds like something "clicks" into place. It only does it once, it's not a continuous click or anything.. is this the CVT "clicking" into gear or something?? Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2007, 12:10 AM
vrooooooooo, o hai im cvt

the click is normal, thats just your abs initializing i believe. don't worry we're all getting it too. as for your deflector, in my opinion those things are ugly and unnecessary, i think you should look into removing it.

2007 Nissan Altima 2.5SL Precision Grey []
Current: Fujita Short Ram Intake [pics+vids] - License Plate Super White LED Swap [how-to-DIY] - Umnitza HID 5000k - GTR Taillight Overlays - Custom Exhaust

2000 Nissan Maxima 3.0GLE White - retired [ ]
Old 11-05-2007, 12:13 AM
I used to VQ, now i-VTEC

I've had them on two cars and then I added the Fairing to the roof racks of the other two cars. all have been VERY loud and the Fairings actually killed my gas milage. I would agree with above in looking at taking it off. Stick it on ebay and make a few $ off if it.

IIRC, it just clips into place like most sunroof deflectors do. Take it off and see how the noise is, then figure out what you want to do from there.

~SB

2009 Honda Fit Sport
2007 Frost White Altima 3.5SE: Sedan with Fogs & Wing. - AVG MPG: 26.41 @ 29,246mi Best tank 566Mi. (Traded @ 30K Miles)
Former/Current Cars: '86 Prelude Si. 2.0 | '93 Integra GS | '98 Civic EX | '00 Integra GS-R | '06 Ridgeline RTS | 07 Altima 3.5SE

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:24 AM

What are the benefits to having a wind deflector?.. all bias aside..
Old 11-05-2007, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heysteve View Post
the click is normal, thats just your abs initializing i believe. don't worry we're all getting it too. as for your deflector, in my opinion those things are ugly and unnecessary, i think you should look into removing it.
agreed... this is just the warning system on the altima that tells you that you car looks gay... (with the deflector) kill two birds and take it off... sound goes away and car looks better

2007 Nissan Altima 2.5S CVT
Bone Stock
MRR HR-4 20'x8'
35% Tint All Around
Simple, Sleek, and Long Lasting.
Dig-It!
Old 11-05-2007, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldonovan82 View Post
agreed... this is just the warning system on the altima that tells you that you car looks gay... (with the deflector) kill two birds and take it off... sound goes away and car looks better
ouch?

Gotta remember.. a girl has different taste than you guys. I initially did not want a wind deflector.. it kinda just came with it. BUT regardless of looks, does it have any advantages? I hear it's supposed to decrease the noise, but I only get more noise. Didn't know if this is normal or if it could have been installed improperly?
Old 11-05-2007, 12:31 AM
vrooooooooo, o hai im cvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashersss View Post
What are the benefits to having a wind deflector?.. all bias aside..
the only benefit of having deflectors (windows and moonroof) is i guess to kill the wind noise when youre driving at high speeds. without a deflector the wind just goes all over the place but with deflectors i guess youre free to drive with your windows down.

2007 Nissan Altima 2.5SL Precision Grey []
Current: Fujita Short Ram Intake [pics+vids] - License Plate Super White LED Swap [how-to-DIY] - Umnitza HID 5000k - GTR Taillight Overlays - Custom Exhaust

2000 Nissan Maxima 3.0GLE White - retired [ ]
Old 11-05-2007, 12:50 AM
Master of the UOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashersss View Post
ouch?

Gotta remember.. a girl has different taste than you guys. I initially did not want a wind deflector.. it kinda just came with it. BUT regardless of looks, does it have any advantages? I hear it's supposed to decrease the noise, but I only get more noise. Didn't know if this is normal or if it could have been installed improperly?
Actually, the sole purpose of a wind deflector is to...

Get this ----> Deflect the wind from entering your car when you have the sunroof partially open.

Usually, people want the sunroof open to allow the sun in, so that they can tan the bald spot on the tops of their heads. But then they run into the problem of the wind blowing their comb-overs all over the place, ruining their sense of freedom.

So those people buy wind deflectors so that they can tan their bald spots in peace.

The reason why it's making noise while you are driving, is, well, simply because it's pushing air out of the way, which in and of its self, creates noise.

So, your choices are keep the wind deflector, and live with the noise, buy some earplugs to wear while you drive around all the time to lessen the noise, or remove the wind deflector, and wind up listening to other noises instead.

BC.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladecutter View Post
Actually, the sole purpose of a wind deflector is to...

Get this ----> Deflect the wind from entering your car when you have the sunroof partially open.

Usually, people want the sunroof open to allow the sun in, so that they can tan the bald spot on the tops of their heads. But then they run into the problem of the wind blowing their comb-overs all over the place, ruining their sense of freedom.

So those people buy wind deflectors so that they can tan their bald spots in peace.

The reason why it's making noise while you are driving, is, well, simply because it's pushing air out of the way, which in and of its self, creates noise.

So, your choices are keep the wind deflector, and live with the noise, buy some earplugs to wear while you drive around all the time to lessen the noise, or remove the wind deflector, and wind up listening to other noises instead.

BC.
hes right but technically it does absolutely nothing

2007 Nissan Altima 2.5S CVT
Bone Stock
MRR HR-4 20'x8'
35% Tint All Around
Simple, Sleek, and Long Lasting.
Dig-It!
Old 11-05-2007, 01:27 AM
I used to VQ, now i-VTEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldonovan82 View Post
hes right but technically it does absolutely nothing
Technically, it deflects the air at mid and higher speeds from entering the car while the sunroof is open. This can be a benifit for those that like to drive with the sunroof open but do not wish to have hair blown around in their faces or have the rear passengers (possibly children) deal with wind blowing in their faces.

Oh and in most cases, it does work pretty well but the unfortunate side effect is the extra noise that is created from diverting the wind. I found in my last car that If I turned up the blower a little and had it set on "air intake" (instead of Recirculate) that the amount of air entering the sunroof was diminished.

~SB

2009 Honda Fit Sport
2007 Frost White Altima 3.5SE: Sedan with Fogs & Wing. - AVG MPG: 26.41 @ 29,246mi Best tank 566Mi. (Traded @ 30K Miles)
Former/Current Cars: '86 Prelude Si. 2.0 | '93 Integra GS | '98 Civic EX | '00 Integra GS-R | '06 Ridgeline RTS | 07 Altima 3.5SE

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:39 AM

To be quite honest not much wind enters the cabin without the deflector.

One other thing a wind deflector does that has not been mentioned above is prevent a little rain from getting into your car when it's raining lightly, kinda like those plastic window guard thingys. (which also look lame imho)

The first thing I did after driving my car home from the dealer is take it off, it takes five minutes. Once you do you won't want to put it back on, trust me. In fact I still have mine laying around and would give it to anyone who wants to pay shipping.....

'07 3.5SE 6mt black/black cloth, sport pckge
'86 300ZX black/grey leather, electronic dash
Old 11-05-2007, 02:54 AM

All they do is make your car noisy and stupid cause it looked like the guy at the dealership bent you over and you got that as a prize. Next car just avoid it at all costs man. avoid.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:54 PM

See if you can get Nissan to take it off. Completely uselss-the one that is existing within the sunroof works well enough. Just extra noise and it probably decreases gas mileage b/c of the drag it creates.
plus they just look stupid on the top of your car.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueguy View Post
See if you can get Nissan to take it off. Completely uselss-the one that is existing within the sunroof works well enough. Just extra noise and it probably decreases gas mileage b/c of the drag it creates.
plus they just look stupid on the top of your car.
Appreciate the compliment...
Old 11-06-2007, 05:41 PM

does it make like a loud whistling noise? That's what mine does, i'm going to remove it and see if it gets any better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Technical and Specific Interest Nissan Discussion > Car Audio / Multimedia / iCE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode