LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-16-2009, 03:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Volume Controls on Steering Wheel

Hey guys,

I bought a 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5S a few months ago with basically no real options at all. Now that I've recently gotten a way better job, I was thinking about upgrading a few things in it.

I was specifically wondering if anyone knew if the dealerships install the volume controls on the steering wheel, and how much it is (typically this is in the convenience package I believe). Or alternatively, how much the part is, and how easy the install is. I'm willing to bet all the wires are there, it just need to be connected and etc.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-16-2009, 04:24 AM
Altima SER/GTR/JDM/TURBO

I think youre going to have a tough time if this is even possible. Sorry I have no useful advice for you lol
#3 Old 06-19-2009, 10:26 AM

I think there is some info here... but it does not make sense for me...
see if you can figure it out.

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/new...ml#post3702632
#4 Old 06-19-2009, 05:32 PM

Probably would be cheaper just to get an aftermarket radio with a remote.

Nissan Parts Associate

#5 Old 06-19-2009, 06:24 PM

I have answered this question three times this week on several forums, so I'm just going to copy and paste it this time. They are all pre-wired, as far as I can tell. My 2.5 base coupe (that isn't prewired for anything it seems) even was.

I did not take pictures of the install process; but I do still have the old pieces that came off, so I can use them as an example. Each side (radio & cruise control) are wired together in the same harness, so when you order them you'll get a new set of cruise switches in anyway. Hence why everybody should be prewired.

To access them, disconnect the neg. terminal on the battery since you'll be working around the airbag. Once its disconnected on each side of the steering wheel on the back side you'll find two plastic caps that just pop off to reveal a screw on each side. Simply unscrew these and the airbag will become free from the steering wheel. You can either disconnect the harness from the back of it and take it in the house for the rest, or leave it on if you wish to work form inside the car. Also you'll need to disconnect the cruise control harness (since you're removing it). Looking at the back of the airbag you'll see that it has a flange around the sides where the switch shrouds (the silver trim) screw onto the airbag itself. There are two phillips screws holding on each side, simply unscrew the old ones, screw on the new ones, and reinstall everything in the reverse order! That's it!

If you have the time and want to check for yourself before you order, this whole process takes 5-10 minutes. Just disconnect the battery and unscrew the airbag and take a peek. Hopefully the pictures (especially the back side will help it make more sense). It is a super easy swap out. I purchased them off ebay but you can find them on all the online parts stores. It's listed under the cruise control switch.

One last reminder, for some reason if you leave your battery disconnected for an extended period of time the alarm will go off when you reconnect the battery. So as a precaution if you're going to take your time doing this, pull the fuse for the horn so you don't have a heart attack or go deaf when reconnecting the battery (It might just be my car that does this, but it's happened twice for me).

If you have anymore questions just ask.

Sorry their huge, I did cut them in half, but I still wanted there to be some detail.

The easiest online store to find them is Courtesy Parts. Just drill down through to the cruise control switches. There are four different part numbers for the switches. The cheapest one with the least amount of notes is obviously the base model one that you have (25550-L32001), the (25550-L32002) Looks to be what you need, it shows as optional for the 2.5 and standard equipment for the 3.5 (which the basic audio controls are standard on 3.5's), (25550-L32003) looks to be the assembly for the blue-tooth controls (for the TEL reference notes), and (25550-L32004) looks to be the switch set for navigation equipped models since it has the longest set of notes, and the highest price. So for clarity I am 99.9% sure that you need part# 25550-L32002. I'm sure you could call Courtesy Parts and give them the part number and ask them if that's the correct set, they might give you the "you can't add options that didn't come from the factory speech," but obviously you can since I did.

Also I take no responsibility in any damages you might cause to yourself or your vehicle in attempting this, I can only tell you what I was able to safely do.

If you have anymore questions just ask. I know this thread was long, but I copied and pasted most everything from the other posts. I need to ask someone to add this as a sticky lol.

Current: 19" G35 Forged Rays -- Projector Headlights & HIDs -- Factory iPod Connection -- 3.5SE Mirrors -- Eibach Pro Kit -- 30% Tint -- K&N Typhoon -- Mustache Overlays -- LED Tails -- Convenience Audio Controls & Leather Steering Wheel -- Foglights -- Auto-dimming Mirror -- Racingline Strut-Brace -- Ambient Lighting -- Aluminum Kick-plates -- Factory Canadian Spoiler -- SBD Ground Wire Kit -- Trunk Net
#6 Old 06-20-2009, 04:25 AM

(Thread Starter)
hey thanks man! I can't wait to get it installed. The part you mentioned, and the part mentioned in the other thread differ, but are the same price, I'm thinking they have different part numbers but are the same product. What do you think?

SWITCH-ASC :: CourtesyParts
SWITCH-ASCD,STEERING - ALTIMA (L32) :: CourtesyParts

Also, if anyone has any photo instructions that would be great, when it comes to airbags and stuff, I become a bit more hesitant to going with text directions. heh

Thanks for everything so far! I'm wicked excited to get this installed.
#7 Old 06-20-2009, 04:38 AM

I'd go with 25550-L32002 that shows up on the illustration as the correct part. The other one doesn't show up with any discernible information. The airbag is something to fear, and its good that you do; however by disconnected the negative terminal on the battery and waiting about 3 minutes for all the capacitors in the system to dissipate there won't be anything that could set it off. Popping off the covers on the back of the wheel are removing the screws is incredibly easy and if you never disconnect the airbag harness you have nothing to fear in hurting it. Trust me, its super easy. It'll take you about 10 minutes to take it apart, and about 5 to put it back together once you've realized how easy it really is.

Current: 19" G35 Forged Rays -- Projector Headlights & HIDs -- Factory iPod Connection -- 3.5SE Mirrors -- Eibach Pro Kit -- 30% Tint -- K&N Typhoon -- Mustache Overlays -- LED Tails -- Convenience Audio Controls & Leather Steering Wheel -- Foglights -- Auto-dimming Mirror -- Racingline Strut-Brace -- Ambient Lighting -- Aluminum Kick-plates -- Factory Canadian Spoiler -- SBD Ground Wire Kit -- Trunk Net
#8 Old 06-20-2009, 05:08 AM

(Thread Starter)
K sweet, I'll order it in a couple days, I'm gonna ask my friend to help me with the install, we'll use your instructions since the illustration scares and confuses me haha. The way you put it though, sounds a lot easier than on paper.

However krnflyboy's link he gave scares me even more, it sounds more complicated than the illustration haha. http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/new...-steering.html

I'm thinking my friend and I will pop it open just to see what were looking at before I purchase the part, just to make sure my car is already pre-wired, I know you're confident that they all are, but I don't want to be stuck with $125 of equipment.
#9 Old 06-20-2009, 05:15 AM

Sounds interesting. Subscribed for updates.

2008 2.5S CVT Super Black/Frost

Contemplating... OEM Rear Spoiler : Stillen/Nismo Lip : OEM Fogs : Projector Retrofit : LED Tailight : HUD : OEM Homelink Rearview Mirror : Remote Start : OEM 17'' Alloy Rims
Done... Interior Wood Accents : Amber Footwell LED and Ambient Lighting : Warm White Footwell Courtesy Lights : iPod Adapter
#10 Old 06-20-2009, 07:08 AM

(Thread Starter)
I just found a cool couple of manuals online that should help me in the installation, sure they are just illustrations, but they seem to go pretty in depth.

The Audio Video components in the car:
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Altima/2...ima_HEV/av.pdf (Page 53)
(As a side note when I was looking at different pages on that pdf, I had no idea that the sound system even had a diagnostics ability, too bad they don't lock down settings such as speed sensitive volume under this where we could easily just enable it in that, haha)

The SRS Airbag Removal/Installation:
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Altima/2...ma_HEV/srs.pdf (Page 4)

At least I'll have some backup instructions incase we have some problems. Do these instructions look essentially the same as what you did? If I'm correct it's only 6 steps by the above PDF, looks very easy and quick, like you said.
#11 Old 06-20-2009, 12:57 PM

Yup, thats all there is to it. I would go ahead and pull it and check that the harness is pre-wired, just in case since its such an easy step; but it should be pretty obvious if the clock-spring side of the connection has more wires on it than the cruise control side. The basic setup that you have (without audio) only uses five wires out of the 10-pin plug. The extra wire seen above that is separate is the ground for the horn.

Incidentally thank you for posting up the SRS portion of the FSM, that was the only section I didn't have and couldn't find. =)

Last edited by boystar22; 06-20-2009 at 01:04 PM.
#12 Old 06-20-2009, 04:01 PM

It does say there to use new bolts instead of old ones for the airbag... Are those bolts made of plastic or something? And how hard would it be to repaint the plastic to something that's more metallic?

2008 2.5S CVT Super Black/Frost

Contemplating... OEM Rear Spoiler : Stillen/Nismo Lip : OEM Fogs : Projector Retrofit : LED Tailight : HUD : OEM Homelink Rearview Mirror : Remote Start : OEM 17'' Alloy Rims
Done... Interior Wood Accents : Amber Footwell LED and Ambient Lighting : Warm White Footwell Courtesy Lights : iPod Adapter
#13 Old 06-20-2009, 04:38 PM

They aren't plastic, they looked galvanized. I'm sure the logic to replacing the screws is due to the torq spec for tightening them. I didn't replace them and I'm not worried in the least. Your supposed to replace your oil plug everytime you change your oil, or at least replace the copper crush washer, but most people don't do that either. I wouldn't worry about it, but that's me.

#14 Old 06-20-2009, 07:08 PM

(Thread Starter)
I just called Nissan Courtesy Parts, the guy said he doubts the wiring is there. He was saying the part you recommended was correct, however the coupes, because they are newer may be wired as a standard. He said the part I'd be ordering is a 2006 part and the Altima sedans may not have the wiring built in.

Can anyone confirm that the 2.5S sedans without the convenience package have the wiring built in?

What I'm worried about is that the wires aren’t going to be there from behind the plug to the stereo itself. I have no issues taking the car apart after seeing how easy it is, but how will I be able to tell if the wiring is there?
#15 Old 06-20-2009, 07:10 PM
h4x0r 1337

SO basically if you have 2008 2.5s no packages... u can't get OEM vol controls right? only aftermarket?

R.I.P 1990 Toyota Corolla DX
Tranny Blew to Exactly 3,910 pieces

Altima 2.5s 08
Dark Slate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HtxfDsuack
Modded Skyline SMOKES Bugatti Veyron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Technical and Specific Interest Nissan Discussion > Car Audio / Multimedia / iCE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode