How much is paying too much to have my sub/amp installed? - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 05-09-2002, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How much is paying too much to have my sub/amp installed?

I wanted to know what type of price I should be looking at to have a place install my sub/amp? I will have a friend make a sealed box for my sub, and I will buy the sub/amp on my own. I just want to know how much all the wiring will cost? Both things will be located in my trunk. The car is the 2002 Altima if that makes a difference. I don't want to overpay, so please let me know what is a reasonable price.

Anyone also have sugguestions on where to get it done (Best Buy/Circuit City, or car audio places like Cartoys, etc?)?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-09-2002, 10:29 PM
Damn! I Drive a Civic

how many chanell amp? usally they charge for the more channel

i would say no more than $50

06 Altima 2.5S - 5 Speed
post #3 of 24 Old 05-09-2002, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
2 channels that can be bridged. Will they ask me any questions that I should know about (wire types, etc)?

post #4 of 24 Old 05-09-2002, 10:47 PM

how to save cost on installation

do it yourself... it's very simple to install an amp/sub... hardest part if anything, is getting the power gauge wire from your battery to the amp located in the car... basically drill a tiny hole through the fire wall underneath the driver side dash just above the pedals. check to be sure it's clear on both sides... mount the wire using a connector to your (+) end of the battery and run the wire to desire location of amp(most have the amp in the trunk)... next is installing the remote and RCA wires from your stereo, either original or aftermarket... remote wire is usually blue and splices directly to the remote wire of the wiring harnest of the car's stereo.... might want to double check to be sure... but in most cases... blue or blue w/white stripe is the remote wire... next is the RCA outputs from your reciever to your amp... simple... after this re-install the stereo and run the wires to the the amp... to hide the wires: hide underneath carpet, underneath moldings, door panels. almost there... now you need a ground wire.... simply look a metal object in your car which can be used as a ground... best place is the seatbelt or seat bolts... simply connect the ground using a connector to the metal object and run top the amp... maintain this wire short as possible... when wiring all the wires to the amp.. always ground first, then power, then remote, then the easiest: speaker wires and RCA input. final step start the car and enjoy the bump....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amp-subs.gif
Views:	2191
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	13071  

post #5 of 24 Old 05-09-2002, 10:51 PM

best place to get installation done

best buy, circuit city, car toys would not be my first choice... yeah there poplular but really systems aren't hard to install... i chat with the guys at these stores to test there knowledge and ask them questions, in reply they draw me off the subject... i would suggest visiting stores that are privately owned... these stores usually do more customs and know more about car audio and charge a lot less...

post #6 of 24 Old 05-10-2002, 03:37 AM

If you do not have an aftermarket HU they will probably charge a little more for the line converter (i think that is it, there is something you need). Talk to some people and find out what shop around has good installers. We have one place in town that is pretty cheap but chances are they are going to scratch your dash or break something because they just don't seem to care. The installer probably won't have much experience taking apart the dash of a 2002 so you want someone who is careful doing the work.

Or you could always try it on your own. I'm sure if you get stuck you could just post here and get a pretty quick response. They make amp wiring kits (i've never used one but i have seen them) that are supposed to have everything you need.

Try to post pics when you get it all done.
post #7 of 24 Old 05-10-2002, 03:55 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I'd like to do it myself if I had a choice, but since this is my first car ever, and I'm so new at all this, I don't know too much about this stuff. I've done a lot of reading on car audio over the past week and a half, and plan on doing more reading/visiting stores this weekend.

I do need an amp wiring kit, but I'm not sure how much it should cost/what kind. Anyone have more info. on that? I will post pics. for everyone when I get this done. One question though, what can I break if I try to do this myself? Can I blow out the sub/amp or break something where I can't fix it or have to pay a lot to have it fixed?
post #8 of 24 Old 05-10-2002, 04:18 AM
Korner Kutter

You can get a 4 gauge amp kit from www.ikesound.com for about $25 which retails for like $75 in car audio shops.

Look in your yellow pages and call around to local shops and get some quotes. Also let them know that you are interested in watching the installation be done.

It is not hard to do it yourself, but you will need lots of patience and time.

Car-
35% tint
18 x 7.5 Katana Spazio's
225/40/18 Kuhmo Rubber
Eibach Prokit
Trenz Grille

Audio-
HU:Pioneer Premier 740MP
Components: CDT CL61a
Sub: Kicker 15L7, 3^3 vented (For Sale)
12W7 in HO enclosure
Xover: Phoenix Gold Bass Cube
Mid/High Amp: Kicker kx800.4 (1000 rms, but only giving 125 to each speaker)
Sub Amp: JBL BP1200.1 (1300+rms)
1.5 Digital Farad Cap
Custom Amp Rack
post #9 of 24 Old 05-10-2002, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Call local shops for prices on install or prices on the amp kit? Also, why do I want 4 gauge and how did you know that?
post #10 of 24 Old 05-10-2002, 05:12 AM
Korner Kutter

Quote:
Originally posted by Junkyard
Call local shops for prices on install or prices on the amp kit? Also, why do I want 4 gauge and how did you know that?
Install prices, shops make their money on accessories!

4 Gauge will allow more than one amplifier and it decreases power loss over a long distances such as from your battery to your trunk, much better than 8 gauage.

Car-
35% tint
18 x 7.5 Katana Spazio's
225/40/18 Kuhmo Rubber
Eibach Prokit
Trenz Grille

Audio-
12W7 in HO enclosure
1.5 Digital Farad Cap
Custom Amp Rack
post #11 of 24 Old 05-10-2002, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Ok got it. I read somewhere though that the gauge you use should be deteremined by the power your system requires (b/c of the current). Is that true, and are you taking that into account with the configuration I plan on having?
post #12 of 24 Old 05-10-2002, 06:00 AM
Korner Kutter

Quote:
Originally posted by Junkyard
Ok got it. I read somewhere though that the gauge you use should be deteremined by the power your system requires (b/c of the current). Is that true, and are you taking that into account with the configuration I plan on having?
True. However I always consider the possibility of future upgrades.

You will probably be okay with 8 gauge, but if you get a big amp or add another amp 4 gauge will give you some headroom.

Car-
35% tint
18 x 7.5 Katana Spazio's
225/40/18 Kuhmo Rubber
Eibach Prokit
Trenz Grille

Audio-
12W7 in HO enclosure
1.5 Digital Farad Cap
Custom Amp Rack
post #13 of 24 Old 05-10-2002, 09:11 AM

types of gauge....

power supply is a must... specially if you're goin to run a powerful amplifier or share the power with two amplifiers... usually the amplifier manual will tell you which gauge to use or you can tell by looking at the size of the power port on the amplifier... however, with any amps, i would reccomend to run at least an 8 gauge wire for quality purposes and ensure that your amp runs well and a long time... have to remember, you do want to protect your investments... another important factor is the amp you want to choose to buy... you might have some crazy subwoofers, but without the proper amp... take you have nothing.... invest more in the amp then the woofers... oh yeah and another important factor in installations of wires is that make sure you use the same guage for the ground... and always connect ground first...

myself recently got a new system:

amplifier running 2,200 watts rms=1,100 watts@1ohm with
2-12's dual voice coils rms=700 watts
4 guage wire of course...

pix will be up tomorrow...

Last edited by akaotikpnoy; 05-10-2002 at 09:15 AM.
post #14 of 24 Old 05-10-2002, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
My system is not going to be anything special like that. I already posted what amp I bought in this thread (Jensen, the model # is specified in this thread). I'm only going for one 10" sub or at most a 12" sub, JL Audio most likley.
post #15 of 24 Old 05-10-2002, 09:36 AM

the amp....

hmmm... hey junkyard bad news bro... i'm not trying to put your amp down or anything just trying to help... that amp will blow if you push any subwoofers that require more than 150 watts... even when you push the speakers, it won't send out any low bass.... take it from me, 6 years of experience with sytems after blowing up 5 amps.... sell the amp bro and invest your money for a better one....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Technical and Specific Interest Nissan Discussion > Car Audio / Multimedia / iCE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode