Looking to enhance 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5SL with stock navigation - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-16-2017, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Looking to enhance 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5SL with stock navigation

I am trying to add a stock navigation system to my 05 Altima. It has a stock bose radio without navigation currently. I want to find the dash bezel, screen and radio for the navigation system that was once sold with this car and install it in mine. Would this be possible? I have the ability to get the bezel, screen and radio but is there something I'm overlooking when it comes to actually hooking it up? Would it just be plug and play with the same connections as the current radio? Thank you.

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-16-2017, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Come on someone help.

-
post #3 of 7 Old 04-17-2017, 12:43 PM
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Corey

Have a look at my BOSE Upgrade thread in my .sig for an approach and a rough idea of the work. While not exactly what you are trying to do, it gives an idea what is involved as others posted asking how they could add the Nav unit. The two biggest issues with the Gen4s are the change in location of the factory mic wiring and the new GPS antenna that is required. Connectors also change. I'd suggest a quick read of the thread and then recommend you go grab the AV.pdf version of the FSM for your '05 and figure out the harness changes you will be looking at.

My personal thought is that the Nav from say 14 years ago is going to look about as sexy and cool as a 14 year old cellphone does.... You may just want to consider going aftermarket.

Nissan OEM HIDs with Morimoto bulbs/harness, RacingLine FStB & RSwB @ 200%, ETI LED Fogs,
BBK: PowerStop Powder Coated Calipers: M45 Front/Stock Rears w/StopTech slotted sport rotors
BOSE Headunit w/USB & BT (2012 update), Dunlop Signature HP (summer) / Blizzak WS80 (winter)

Altima FSMs & Useful posts: Bose Upgrade / Alternator / Bad Ground / Rear Brakes / TPMS Reset /
/ Spurious ABS / Audio Power / ABS Diag / Steering Lock

post #4 of 7 Old 04-20-2017, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
So are you saying a project like this would be too difficult to be worth doing? Going aftermarket would probably be better, I just feel like the dash with the storage compartment looks more awkward and it would make more sense for a nav screen to be there.

-
post #5 of 7 Old 04-20-2017, 01:16 PM
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
It's doable certainly, I'm question the value and expense of doing a 14 year old NAV retrofit with used unit, vs getting something new, flashier and with a bigger screen.

2005 NAV wasn't far off Microsoft Flight Simulator circa 1998

Nissan OEM HIDs with Morimoto bulbs/harness, RacingLine FStB & RSwB @ 200%, ETI LED Fogs,
BBK: PowerStop Powder Coated Calipers: M45 Front/Stock Rears w/StopTech slotted sport rotors
BOSE Headunit w/USB & BT (2012 update), Dunlop Signature HP (summer) / Blizzak WS80 (winter)

Altima FSMs & Useful posts: Bose Upgrade / Alternator / Bad Ground / Rear Brakes / TPMS Reset /
/ Spurious ABS / Audio Power / ABS Diag / Steering Lock
post #6 of 7 Old 04-20-2017, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I just think it would look better aesthetically because it's actually made for the vehicle.

-
post #7 of 7 Old 04-20-2017, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
I was thinking about doing the same thing as you a while back, but fortunately Doug talked me out of it.

Keep your Bose stereo, and just buy a name brand GPS. Even a good used gps would be better, AND again you keep your factory Bose stereo, which, IMO is great for a factory setup. [you could add a capacitor to the rear speakers if you like, and I think Doug covered it in the thread he links above].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Technical and Specific Interest Nissan Discussion > Car Audio / Multimedia / iCE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode