Intro to ECU Programming - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

NissanClub.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2006, 12:22 AM
Mod

Arrow Intro to ECU Programming

STEP 1 DATALOGGING/SCANNING

You cannot successfully program a better chip for your car unless you know exactly the engine is doing, and when you change a setting how the engine reacts. To do that you need a Scan Tool, or Data logging capability a lot of company’s that can program a chip or ECM say that don’t need to data log.
Well 2 exact cars with the same parts are still going to run differently due to differences in small things you would normally think of, even if they do have Self Learn Capabilities.

A great way for determining what your car is doing is to use a scanning or Data logging. Data logging is done with a Cable (consult cable) that connects to a Laptop and uses software to communicates with your car's ECM through the Consult port and displays your car's current runtime statistics (such as O2 voltage, Coolant Temperature, Knock Retard, Air Temperature, Spark Advance, etc). A scan Tool would be Like a Snap on Dealer Unit.

Although it is not necessary to data log to successfully change your car's EPROM calibration, but I wouldn’t suggest making changes with out being able to see how the engine reacts. Scan tools or data logging can be extremely helpful because they let you see exactly what your ECM sees. Do you need more or less fuel? Do you need more or less spark? Do you experience any knock retard and if so, at what RPMs is the knock experienced? Is a sensor bad well if the car has been running for a while and your coolant temp sensor still displays it is at 60 degrees well the sensor is either bad or there is a problem with the sensors connection, there for the ECM doesn’t have the correct information to do what it needs.
All of this information can be determined easily by looking at certain parameters that are displayed via the Scanning or data logging.

Scanning = real-time looking at what the ECM is doing in real time
Data logging = recording what the ECM is doing on a drive.

Links for Cables

Slipnfall:

Craig Moates: www.moates.net (Nissan stuff Coming soon)

BlaTz: http://www.blazt.biz/ (source for Cables and Software, (due to being outside of us, kind of pricey)

PLMS: http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/consult_if.shtml (cables, datascan, Daughterboard’s)

Links for Datalogging Software

Calumsult: http://web.utk.edu/~cjohns32/calumsult (Bin Dump/Data Logging/)

Tunerpro: www.markmansur.com (Data Logging/Bin Editing) mark’s next software release will have support for nissan data logging Using the Consult Port

ConZult: http://300zx-twinturbo.com/conzult/products.htm (says it’s for the 90+ 300z could possibly work on others)

Data Scan: http://home.curl.aunz.net/tpkolo/DataScan.htm (works on a lot of nissan cars)

STEP 2 ECM Hardware

Now that you can scan the car and know what it is doing you need to be able to reprogram the ECM. Find your ECM and open up the lid, this will now tell you whether or not you can just remove the EPROM or if you will need a Daughterboard.

If the inside of the ECM looks like Below, with a single 28 pin EPROM, You will need To Chip the ECM before you can Reprogram Proms

How to Chip you ECM: http://eccs.hybridka.com/viewtopic.php?t=149 “written by: glacier985”

Programming the EPROM is discussed further down in this article

Now if you open up your ECM and it looks like the one below, with a 40 pin Header or 20x2 Pin header as some call it, you will need a Daughter Board.

What is a Daughterboard? Basically this lets you run a different ROM Chip than the stock one. The stock ROM Chip is contained the right most of the three big chips on the ECM. Rather than replacing this chip a board is added to the Header on the top of the ECM. Also a jumper must be set to tell the ECM to read from the daughterboard and not the stock ROM Chip. This is what JWT & other Chip companies do when you buy a so called "REPROGRAMED" ECM

How to install a Daughter Board: http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=94997 “written By: Calum”

now If your ECM looks like the one below, it is referred to as a 40x1 header this is on 95+ ODB II, Some 95' had ODB I and would look like the Picture Above.

There is work being done for daughter board for these, but nothing that I am know of yet.
A BikiRom Megaboard will work, or you could swap a 1993-1994 ECM in.

Links to purchase Daughter Boards

Plms: http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/daughterboards.shtml

DeviousKA:

Step 3 Downloading Stock Bin File

Now you need to be able to get access to your stock Bin File, To do this you will need a Consult Cable, and a computer (home or Lap top) Calumsult (old .Exe) or equivalent software with the Bin or Rom Dump feature.
Connect the Consult Cable to the Consult Port in the car. Now load Calumsult and click Rom Dump. You should now be able to save you bin to a file.

STEP 4 (Bin Editor)
You will need a program to read this BIN and allow you to modify it. This program (Bin Editor, ) is not supplied by the company that makes the Chip Programmer. I use an editor called 'Tunerpro'. Tunerpro is available at http://www.supportfitness.com/mark/tunerpro/. However, there are several other programs available on the Internet that you can use. A couple of the most popular ones are:
Additional Bin editor
1. Live Edit http://www.
2. Rom Editor www.hybridka.com/misc/romeditorE.zip (requires Asian text support installed.)

ALL of these editors have special calibration files (also known as definition files) that you load into the program before opening your BIN. This calibration file tells the editor exactly how to read your BIN. The BIN needs to be interpreted appropriately and the calibration file takes care of this. This is important because not all EPROM images are organized in the same manner. The editor needs to know where to find the appropriate information inside of the BIN. This is accomplished by loading the calibration file into the editor before loading the BIN. In reality, each ECM (Electronic Control Module) has a specific type of EPROM and a specific organization of the code contained in that EPROM. EPROM type and EPROM organization can change from one year to the next so it is important to know what type of EPROM you have in your car and the common term for the EPROM organization (also known as the 'Mask'

Bin editor Definiton Extension type

Tunerpro: .ecu or .xdf
Romedit: .adr
LiveEdit: .ini

Step 5 (PromsProgramming)
You need a piece of equipment that can program PROM’s. This is most often called a Prom Programmer, Chip Programmer, and Chip Burner. This piece of equipment will be used to read and program your PROM’s, EPROMS, and EEPROMS. The Chip Programmer connects to your computer, and should come with software to operate it.
This software is installed on the computer to which the Chip Programmer is attached to a computer and it is used to control the Chip Programmer (for reading from and writing to the PROM). Reading PROM’s will produce an image of your PROM stored in a file with a .BIN extension (binary). It is this binary file that must be modified in order to change things such as fuel and spark parameters. The binary file is often called a BIN. I use the ‘Flash N Burn' that is made by Craig Moates, Moates.net. It is reliable, easy to use, and economically priced.

Prom Bunners/Chip Programmers

Name: Flash N Burn Company:moates.net part #BURN1
Price:$85.00 (make sure of the EEproms you want to use are compatable)

Name:Pocket Programmer Company: XTRONICS part #I-PP2A/I-PPUSB Price:$180/$280 Connectionserial/USB

NOTICE:USB Pocket Programmer is a $100 more expensive than the serial version

OVERVIEW OF ABOVE

1.) Read article and Make sure your ECM is compatable before buying anything. If so install what is needed IE:Chip socket, daughterboard, ect

2.) Build or buy a Consult Cable

3.) Connect Consult Cable to Computer Open up your Consult Software & Dump Bin

4.) Now open up You Bin Editing Software and load bin File and Load the Definition File that is compatiable with your Software and for your Bin.

5.) Start by making a small change in something Small like "Rev Limit" lower it to 2500 rpm. and then save bin file with name like KA24DE 2500 Revlimit

6.) Open up your Prom Burner software and load bin. Now Burn bin to Prom(s) and install Prom(s) in to ECU or Daughterboard. and test. if you changed rev Limit you shouldn't be able to Rev the engine higher than the limit you set. This will let you know that the ECU is running off of the Chip or daughterboard correctly.

(TO BE CONTINUED)
The rate or a measure of the rate of motion or distance travelled per unit time

Last edited by aabe; 04-24-2006 at 02:23 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to aabe For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2006, 12:25 AM
Mod

This article is in no way complete, I will be adding to it regulary. If some one has something to add let me know and I will put it in somewhere.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:43 AM

Hi aabe,

I'm currently driving a Nissan Tiida 1.5 4AT. After changing my extractor, the engine check light came on. and upon diagnostics, it showed "EGR", something to do with the exhaust gas flow i think. I tried re-flashing the ECU a few times, but it came litted on still. I have a couple of qns to ask..

1) Would installing aftermkt unichips such as those from ADM or Dastek helps to remove this problem after the tuning?

2) Izit possible for us to manually set our ECU to wad we want? Such as to make our fuel being injected less rich? (Not too sure abt this, cuz i always hear tt our fuel is too rich, and we gotta make it more lean. is tt true?)

Looking forward to ur reply, correct me if i am wrong k, cuz i'm very new to such things and want to learn from my mistakes if there's any.. =)

Cheers
Old 05-19-2006, 08:02 PM
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapelofres
Hi aabe,

I'm currently driving a Nissan Tiida 1.5 4AT. After changing my extractor, the engine check light came on. and upon diagnostics, it showed "EGR", something to do with the exhaust gas flow i think. I tried re-flashing the ECU a few times, but it came litted on still. I have a couple of qns to ask..

1) Would installing aftermkt unichips such as those from ADM or Dastek helps to remove this problem after the tuning?

2) Izit possible for us to manually set our ECU to wad we want? Such as to make our fuel being injected less rich? (Not too sure abt this, cuz i always hear tt our fuel is too rich, and we gotta make it more lean. is tt true?)

Looking forward to ur reply, correct me if i am wrong k, cuz i'm very new to such things and want to learn from my mistakes if there's any.. =)

Cheers
Well I am not fimilliar with your application. What ECU does it have. I will see what I can dig up on it.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:57 PM
NISSANCLUB.COM

Great post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Technical and Specific Interest Nissan Discussion > ECM / ECU Tuning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.