camshaft seal oil leak? - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-17-2003, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy camshaft seal oil leak?

Hey y'all! I got a 93 Altima and unfortunately I also have a weird oil leak . I have been trying to pin it down for some time. I was told originally that it was my oil pan gasket, so I dropped it and replaced the gasket. Then I thought it might be my top part of the pan<groan> and have been practically scrubbing the engine trying to find a trail. Last night a guy I know who works for Precsion Tune stopped by and said it was my camshaft seal. He showed me how the oil leaks out and gets carried by the belt and sprays the engine. What he says seems to make sense as the leak is on that side and everytime I clean the engine and check it seems like I hadn't touched it. Has anybody else had this problem and if so how hard is it to change seals? Or is there an alternative to this(besides switching engines)? I need to remedy this problem soon as it is growing worse. Within 3-4 months I hope to start upgrading the car with performance parts but I want to fix the basics first. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-17-2003, 03:20 PM

(Thread Starter)
Found a post related to this and it said the problem for their leaks was a bad PCV valve. Could this be the cause of my leak? I will try to locate the little bastard today and check him out. Need to anyways. . .
#3 Old 05-17-2003, 03:34 PM
Die Trying

honestly, i can't help you on the leak. I hope you find and fix it soon.

But as far as modding the car, you may wanna consider a spare motor with less mileage. I don't know what your motor has on it now, but if it's a 93, i'm guessing it's 100K+. If yo plan to do a complete rebuild, then mileage won't really matter, but if you're just doing minor bolt-ons, i'd think about a lower mileage motor, if you have the money.

good luck, and welcome to the site. Sorry we're not much help on this problem, but we usually can help ya no matter what.

Living goes by fast,
catch your breath and it will pass you by.
And it won't last to
sulk in the memories you hold.

Mod List and Pics
My Nissan Site
#4 Old 05-18-2003, 11:43 PM

(Thread Starter)
Tried finding my PCV valve today with no luck. I know what the breather looks like from the book but the descriptions of where it's at are pretty damn vague. Anyone got pics if where it is, or can hold my hand while showing me it<lol>? Damn Hayne's manual is good for toilet paper and that's about it. I got some degreasing stuff from Oreilly's today and it works way better than than Gunk engine brite. I can see all kinds of things now. Not good for the paint though. looks like I did have some leakage around the distributor area like the pcv valve is bad. Gonna track it over the week and see.
#5 Old 05-19-2003, 12:25 AM
Erect Member

ok check it out... the ends of the cams on the engine side are nestled safely inside the valve cover, unless the valve cover itself is leaking on that side, the cam seals are not the problem. it could be the crankshaft pulley seal, it could be the lower upper timing cover seal. youll just have to check better. get some castrol super clean, spray it directly on that side of the block(if you do the whole engine, be sure to cover the distributor, shiny aluminum fittings, and dont spray too heavily on the spark plug wires where they go into the valve cover) and gently hose it off a couple of minutes later. the engine should be SPOTLESS. if its not, do it again, that shit is like magic. the pcv valve is directly behind the power steering pump. its a pain in the ass to remove and install. there is actually an FAQ telling you how to do it. if youre not mechanically inclined, FUGEDDABOUDIT! its like a 3 hour job.

#6 Old 05-19-2003, 04:50 AM
Import Tech.

Sounds like the very common front crankshaft seal leak ....

SHAWN
Ger-Brock & Co. Portland OR.
'99 G20t Driver
'09 Sentra FE+ Wifes
'98 Sentra SE Time Attack
'09 Titan CC LB SE
'93 Altima SE 5 spd. 13.97 @ 97 MPH ..All Motor ..
( Sold )
'93 G20 12.0 @ 119 MPH Built SR20DET
( Sold )
My Nissan Site !!
#7 Old 05-30-2003, 02:25 PM

(Thread Starter)
Well I used the Oreilly knockoff of Superclean and it works great. I had old oil around the distributor cap area along the passenger side of engine and along the back/bottom side. Freshest stuf around back/bottom. after cleaning and checking everyday for 2 weeks(no time to work on it) only oil on back/bottom. I am mechanically inclined but hardest part is getting car high enough to get to filter and then valve. I am big boy (6' 280 lbs.) and not close to Nissan engineer specs(think Oompa Loompa) so getting there is half the fun lol. Plus I live in an apartment complex and that has its own difficulties, sigh. But back to the leak; none seems to be coming from side of engine, just back/bottom near the valve. Going to try again on getting to the valve. Wish me luck.
#8 Old 05-30-2003, 05:55 PM
ProChoice=Bottle or Draft

Hey if it's your PCV then you'll be better off removing the intake manifold. The PCV sticks out like a sore thumb with the manifold off. And since you're doing that you might as well replace all the gaskets (2 on the intake mani and one on the throttle body), becuase you'll have to soon with a 93.

Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pully|OBX Muffler w/ 2.25 custom piping|Warm Air Intake|Advanced Timing|NGK Plug Wires|Air Struts|Viair 450C 100% Duty Comp|2 Three Gal Air Tanks|10 Switches (FBSS) -------- Indiglo Gauges|Rattler 300 Alarm -------- Pioneer SuperTuner III DEH-P7400 HU|Fosgate Punch 360 Amplifier|Fosgate HE2 12in. Subs|Sealed Box|Boston Acoustic FX6|Boston Acoustic FX7
#9 Old 05-30-2003, 06:31 PM
Import Tech.

Quote:
Originally posted by maporsche
Hey if it's your PCV then you'll be better off removing the intake manifold. The PCV sticks out like a sore thumb with the manifold off. And since you're doing that you might as well replace all the gaskets (2 on the intake mani and one on the throttle body), becuase you'll have to soon with a 93.
Actually its not that hard , yea with the intake manifold off it would be easy , but removing the intake manifold is no easy task !! You can do it by removing the front timing area brackets , power steering pump assy , and then the breather box , the PCV valve is in the breather box .....way easyer than removing the intake !

SHAWN
Ger-Brock & Co. Portland OR.
'99 G20t Driver
'09 Sentra FE+ Wifes
'98 Sentra SE Time Attack
'09 Titan CC LB SE
'93 Altima SE 5 spd. 13.97 @ 97 MPH ..All Motor ..
( Sold )
'93 G20 12.0 @ 119 MPH Built SR20DET
( Sold )
My Nissan Site !!
#10 Old 05-30-2003, 06:34 PM
Erect Member

^take it from two guys that know... that intake is a bastard...

#11 Old 05-31-2003, 03:11 PM

(Thread Starter)
Have been searching the forums about the crankshaft seal and I want to know what else I can do while I have that area taken apart? Besides changing my belts and I have to change my rack and pinion boot as well(it has torn up) anything else? Also has anyone changed the gaskets on their intake? How difficult is it and what do I need? I have my Haynes book but as I am the library I have to wait til I get home to read it. If it is easier to get to the PCV valve with the intake off I will wait to do it all at once(glutton for punishment lol). Thanks for the help so far y'all.
#12 Old 05-31-2003, 05:33 PM
Erect Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RedBeardedDevil
Also has anyone changed the gaskets on their intake? How difficult is it and what do I need?
did you read any of the above at all? the intake is a bitch to do. it was hard enough to do with the engine out of the car, let alone doing it IN the car.

#13 Old 05-31-2003, 05:40 PM

Also what you might check is..
There are two O-rings built into the front cover, they are located approximatly behind the power steering pump..

And when you change the PCV valve, take the pump off..

Makes life a whole lot easier
#14 Old 06-01-2003, 10:07 PM

(Thread Starter)
I apologize, I did read it but was thinking about acouple of other problems as well. My PC is down at hpme so I have cram everything I do into an hour at the local library. Multitasking on someone else's computer is a bitch lol. I went under and over the engine today and it seems that my PCV valve is not the culprit after all. It all seems to be coming from my front oil seal. After that illuminating moment I went and checked a couple of other symptoms. Ended up breaking the damn throttle cable adjustment piece while tightening up the cables. Plastic; real nice Nissan! Parts store is checking on availability. And ran diagnostic on my auto tranny; TPS sensor is on fritz as well. I will be breaking out the multimeter and checking voltage, etc. Looks like this weekend I will be:
1. Replacing steering dust boot
2. TPS replacement
3. Drive belts replacing
4. oil seal replacement
5. throttle cable replacement
6. who knows what else I will find lol
She sure wasn't treated well before I got her. I am going to put off the valve replacement(intake removal, etc.) until after my baby is born. Thanks for the posts y'all.
#15 Old 06-01-2003, 11:42 PM
Erect Member

tps is a 10 minute job at best. dust boot is gonna depend on how fast you want to work and if you have all of the tools... oil seal should be about 30 minutes. belts about 20 minutes as well. throttle cable is fun but still not that hard a job, about 30 minutes after you figure out you have to pull the clamps from it. so not bad for a couple hours worth of work... just get a 6 pack and have at it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > Engine Performance (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode