The Nissan Club banner

Is this legit?

16K views 37 replies 11 participants last post by  Eccho 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Check Zilvia for info on Emace chips. That Dyno is PDM's dyno. An ECU upgrade alone shouldn't make you lose low end power...

#4 ·
I wish someone from here would go for it. I really want too see if this tune is any good. If it's good it would save me tons even after the cost of converting my car to obd1 its still cheaper then jwt.

#5 ·
I think I might try it out. Hell its 40$ and they make it sound like its pretty easy to install and take out if needed. (like for smog testing) I dont know gotta sleep on it. I wish there were install instructions online just so I could see what im getting into before I commit to buying it

#7 · (Edited)
Something doesn't sound right to me...

First off, the Altima ECU has a soldered-in ROM chip which is of the large-scale PLCC packaging type. The picture on their ad is of a simple memory chip.

Take a very good look inside my ECU and tell me where that chip will install into,

http://www.stac-consulting.com/serrano.j/altima/ecu/94AltimaECUside11.jpg

By the way, the Altima ECU ROM is called a Versatile ROM and it is the big one to the topmost right side of the picture, it has a sticky label on it. The Versatile ROM has a lot more internals than that of a simple memory chip.

The only way I could see that chip getting installed is by putting it into a daughterboard. And if that is the case, the installation require electronics soldering skills, not easy for the average Joe Blow.

Here is a picture directly from their own e-Bay site,

http://i11.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/88/09/9350_1.JPG

Get them to send you the exact installation instructions for you to review. Better yet, have them give you three eBay users that has installed it on their Altima (we can then send them direct eBay messages to verify legitimacy.) Post that information here. And we can tell you in a heartbeat if this is legit enough to work. If they balk at sending you the installation instructions or eBay users, then buyer beware.

UPDATE:

Here is yet another link from them for your enjoyment,

http://eformance.info/ecu/

#8 ·
Dont tell me you guys are falling for this too....

#9 ·
I'll have to check Zilvia again. They had a thread on this, and I'll see how it turned out.

#12 ·
So with the links jserrano posted it looks like his ecu needs a motherboard. It would still work. I know I would need help. If the ecu matches there first example then we are in buisness and it shouldnt be hard. Ill take it to a tv repair store and have them take out the old chip and put in a sproket so I can take it on and off when i desire. Dosent seen that hard just need a good solderer.

#13 ·
This topic was discussed a year ago.
I emailed this guy last year and he told me that I'd need a daughter board to make it work with Altima. I'm not sure but it will cost you around $50 or more.
Yeah, and he also suggests to get it soldered by someone in electronics repair shop ($10).
I don't see the reason why it shouldn't work but I didn't want to be the guinea pig.

#14 ·
Well I checked ebay responses and most were good. I need another ECU to work with just incase things go to hell.

#15 ·
it seems you need a daughterboard... if you check the ECU forums a month or two ago i was in contact with a guy about these chips for our cars. they are supposedly good chips (altho i havent looked at zilvia in a while). he said that he would do everything for my ecu for $100 plus me shipping my ecu out to him. it seems pretty legit to me, altho you need some soldering skills and a daughterboard for this to work i bet.

my guess is that the pic he posted was just for looksies... he seemed pretty credible when i talked to him a few months ago

#16 ·
Emance Rom Tune Answers - Page 6 - Zilvia.net Forums

here it is... if you have the money GO FOR IT! please, do us all a favor and do it! open up a new avenue for the altima community!!! i advise you to go thru this guy directly instead of ebay, but thats your call...
im not bullshitting at all, i think you all might be suprised by the results.

#17 ·
dark is rite someone should try this out. If I had an older altima I would.

#19 ·
^what do you mean? he does the whole daughterboard thing for you...

#20 ·
yeah jserrano read your own link, it all makes sense to me. I will be doing this shortly just gotta get an extra decent ecu. The ebay seller works for E-mance so I trust that guy for reliability. He told me 125$ for the daughter board and chip replacement. I just gotta make sure the chip can still be swaped out for the original one when you have a daughterboard.

#21 · (Edited)
Well, I never mean to discourage any of you guys from experimenting with any projects. But keep us informed...

Vehemence, you will be working with a '94 ECU, correct? If so, then you will have to check underneath the label for the Versatile ROM for the ECU you are buying. If it says anything like M6M256xxx on it then the ECU uses 256KB of RAM and you should be fine with your project. But if it says something like A12-280-000 then your are "dead in the water" because that is a 512KB chipset and I haven't heard of anyone with a daughterboard for it, outside of JWT and Calum. The '94 SE-R community is in the "same boat" so if you can find out how they overcame this issue then you'll be fine. I'm saying this because I stalled into this same issue with mine and no 'older style' daughterboard works. But again, don't let me discourage you because we need people like you to help us out here.

Alternatively, what you can do, is to get a S13 ECU and daughterboard it instead. The S13 is plug-'n-play with the '94 Altima. My Altima is currently running on one...and has been for a couple of months now. But mine doesn't have a daughterboard in it yet. I wrote about it here,

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/ecm-ecu-tuning/245255-installing-tuning-s13-ecu-94-altima.html

Either way, good luck and keep us all informed.

Hey Dark:

I need to hit you up on a few questions for a Garrett turbo I've bought. I'll get you some pictures and specs on it later because it is in storage. But would really appreciate your input. Thanks dude.

#24 ·
^j, youre right about that... i remember vaguely reading something about some ecus that wont chip. but... like you said, you could always just swap over to an s13 ecu (which i see as a milestone for us OBDI guys... thanks! lol) this guy will be able to tune an s13 ecu for you, no big deal. just buy one off a member of zilvia or club240 (i imagine they go pretty cheap) and then tell him you want an s13 ecu tuned for whatever... you can even send him the ecu and hell do all the work for you i think for like $155 or somethin like that. and he backs up his tunes completely. if it isnt running right, he asks you to make sure its the tune, but if the tune is off he gets it right for you for free... (but as far as i know, only 1 person has had a bad tune, and iirc it was because he didnt tell emance his setup correctly)

pm me anytime j

#25 ·
you could always just swap over to an s13 ecu (which i see as a milestone for us OBDI guys... thanks! lol) this guy will be able to tune an s13 ecu for you, no big deal. just buy one off a member of zilvia or club240 (i imagine they go pretty cheap) and then tell him you want an s13 ecu tuned for whatever... you can even send him the ecu and hell do all the work for you i think for like $155 or somethin like that. and he backs up his tunes completely. if it isnt running right, he asks you to make sure its the tune, but if the tune is off he gets it right for you for free...

who is this guy your talking about and what is a s13 ecu from?

#26 ·
this is what the emance guy left me in response to jserrano's comment on the versatile rom 512kb.

is it a altima ecu? because i dont think any altima ecu's start with a12.

our daughterboard installs in any 94 altima ecu.
and it includes the 512kb chipset that installed on the daughterboard

#27 ·
S13 is not from the Altima world. It can be found in the older 240SX.

But if this guy is positive he can tune a '94 Altima then there is no need to continue further discussion as to the feasibility or his legitamacy. His word should suffice since he know how many Altima ECUs he has tuned.

Either way, I am really interested in the outcome. So please post back as much information as possible, whether good or bad. And good luck.

#28 ·
an s13 ecu comes from an s13 lol... (240sx 91-94 = s13)

just send him your ecu to tune dude... lol pleaseeeeee

#29 ·
Thanks guys I plan on doing this. my alty is a eveyday driver so I need to find a extra ecu to chip out so I can still drive while the other ecu gets tuned. Honestly I need to replace my timing chain first cause the lower gaurd has been banging around for years, my tensioners im sure are shot and the chain prob. has some damage. This needs to be done before the chip upgrade or i will jack the motor reving to 7000rpms(chip mod) with a loose chain. I WILL DO THIS ASAP just gotta do things in the right order

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.