O-Ring Part Number - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2008, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wink O-Ring Part Number

I was wondering if anyone knows the Nissan Part Number for the distributor o-ring that wears causing oil to infiltrate the inside of the distributor. I went to the local Nissan dealer and they tell me that ....get this,......there IS NO SUCH THING!!
I know I have seen the part number postsed here at sometime but can't seem to find it. I would like to change that o-ring because I am tired of cleaning the distributor every three months or so. Thanks In Advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2008, 01:25 AM

Guess what. **there is no such thing!**
However, if you could do me a favor. Could you take a picture of what you think the distributor o-ring is?
Tell me, are you talking about the big sqaure part that has all your spark plugs going into it? Is it part of that?
If it is, then gasket maker solution is your key to sucess. or you can just order that entire gasket.
But also to make my day MUCH MUCH easier. could you PLEASE tell me what model/year you have?

First BS in Computer Science, second as an Electronic Engineer.
2001 Altima GXE
OBX 4-2-1
2001 F350 - I like big trucks. :-D

Last edited by runcoolisback; 05-13-2008 at 01:27 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runcoolisback View Post
Guess what. **there is no such thing!**
However, if you could do me a favor. Could you take a picture of what you think the distributor o-ring is?
Tell me, are you talking about the big sqaure part that has all your spark plugs going into it? Is it part of that?
If it is, then gasket maker solution is your key to sucess. or you can just order that entire gasket.
But also to make my day MUCH MUCH easier. could you PLEASE tell me what model/year you have?

It is a 1995 Altima K24.
If you remove the distributor, just before the end of the shaft , is an O RING/Seal that prevents oil from seeping out of the race for the distributor shaft.
I know that there IS SUCH A THING. THere was another board I was on and several people had replaced that o ring.seal.
Now, what do YOU measn by "that big square part that has all of your spark plugs going to it?"

There is No Big Square Part as you describe. There is a coil, then the dist cap with 4 wires that go to the spark plugs.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:48 AM

dude, go to a hardware store.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:00 AM
The Don.

The internal o-ring in the distributor is a bitch to get to and replace. I doubt it gets replaced in a rebuild distributor. Good luck finding a source. And let us all know when you find one.

'94 Nissan Altima SE, 5spd. Ultra Red (AJ4).
Erebuni 905, Turboing, Hotshot CAI, UR Pulley, Calum ECU,
HUD & ATC retrofitted, DEPO lamps /w Silverstars, NGK Ignition wires.
ITEMS FOR SALE
Old 05-13-2008, 03:13 AM

Just buy a package of O-rings of all sizes. You'll be sure to find one that might work. lolz. But, I would like to see a picture of what you're talking about. 'cause I could always be wrong or mislead. I did search what you're making it sound like but came up empty handed. I do wish for your luck but we need more detail.
and again, normally 99.9% of the time there is no such thing as a part number for an o-ring unless it's ford and you're installing a waterpump. LOL! I HATE THAT DESIGN!!!

First BS in Computer Science, second as an Electronic Engineer.
2001 Altima GXE
OBX 4-2-1
2001 F350 - I like big trucks. :-D

Old 05-13-2008, 03:53 AM

Thumbs down

You guys are a trip!!
The o ring/seal is NOT INTERNAL. Have any of you ever had the distributor out of one of these engines? If you have, if you read my description, you will know what I am talking about.
I am looking elsewhere........
Old 05-13-2008, 04:10 AM
The Don.

The o-ring around the shaft of the distributor only causes leaks externally around the base of the distributor. You can get that o-ring for cheap at the dealership's parts department. But the cause of any oil leak internal to the distributor has nothing to do with that o-ring. Re-read that last sentence. And don't challenge us...

ITEMS FOR SALE
Old 05-13-2008, 01:55 PM
The Don.

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/gen...ml#post3077000

ITEMS FOR SALE
Old 06-11-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jserrano View Post
The o-ring around the shaft of the distributor only causes leaks externally around the base of the distributor. You can get that o-ring for cheap at the dealership's parts department. But the cause of any oil leak internal to the distributor has nothing to do with that o-ring. Re-read that last sentence. And don't challenge us...
The two of you are talking about completely different o-rings.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:44 PM

If anyone is still looking for this o-ring, I can share that I got a similar one from NAPA auto parts. It's not exactly the same as the one that comes OEM, because that one is apparently custom designed (to fail). But the guy at my local NAPA was able to match one that was very close. I installed it, and my car started right up, and has been running strong for 3 days or so now.

I tried the other auto parts stores in my area (autozone, advanced auto, carquest) and none of them had anything close, and actually the guys at advanced and autozone treated me like it was a waste of their time to try to match up an o-ring. Through research on another nissan forums, I found some other people that said they were able to get the o-ring at NAPA, so that's were I went, and low and behold, they were able to help me.

Total cost of repair: $.75

Much better than $150 for a rebuilt distributor, or $400 for an OEM.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:17 PM

Hey everyone, sorry to revive a 6-month old thread. Just picked up a 95 Altima for cheap, and the reason it was cheap is because the previous owners were given a $525 estimate for a new distributor. The car sputters and almost starts when you try, so I know the distributor isn't totally dead. Planning to tear it out and get it apart tonight, hopefully she fires right back up after being cleaned out.

But as for the O-ring issue, I suppose I will try Napa first, but if that doesn't work out, I actually work for an automotive supplier, and we buy a ton of O-rings for our parts. Our supplier is really good about sending me samples of various sizes when I need them, so I figured I'll try to get a bag full once I get the bad internal O-ring out and sized up.

Does anyone know of a good exploded view of the distributor so I know what I'm looking for? I imagine it's pretty obvious, just curious.

Thanks for any help guys, and I will continue searching through different threads for more info.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:06 PM

Smile O Ring and distributor issues

In order to change that o-ring, the distributor must be completely disassembled.
The o- ring in question os on the shaft INSIDE of the base of the distributor.
My suggestion is , before tearing the distributor up , is to remove it from the engine, get some Electronics cleaner and spray it all out paying particular attention to the "disc" inside that has a bunch of tiny slots in it.
Do this then reinstall it and check to see how the engine runs.
There could be other problems and I would put new plugs is (NGK Platinums). new distributor cap, wired, new fuel filter, etc. Your time and money will not be wasted as this work alone will improve engine performance and mileage.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:56 PM

Yeah, no doubt that I'm going to just "get it running" first to make sure all is well before taking the distributor apart. Plus I doubt I'll have time tonight to make it out to Napa to look for a new seal anyways. But definitely once she's running, she'll be getting a full tune-up.

Asked my dad (Nissan mechanic) about these distributors, and if they had the O-rings needed to fix it at the dealer. He just replied with his usual old-man mechanic attitude "We don't fix distributors, we replace them. If a customer's car dies on them again, or leaves them stranded, guess who they're coming to yell at? I just install a new distributor." I got a laugh out of that.

This thing should work out pretty good for a $400 car. About all it needs is the distributor to get it on the road, and a rear bumper and hub cap to have it looking pretty decent. Took a few pics with the phone.

James
Chicago, IL

The Nissan collection, past and present
Old 12-15-2008, 03:25 PM

Friday night, took the distributor out, blasted all the oil out of it with my air compressor... car fired right up. Oil in there wasn't too bad, just enough of a film on the metal disc to cover up a good portion of the holes. One weekend I'll have to see about dismantling it and getting that seal replaced. I do know those 2 exterior seals were wasted, all stretched out and messed up. I actually cut portions out of them and sealed it up with a bit of RTV.

Now on to my oil leak, engine mount, intermittent speedometer, flashing airbag light and broken cruise control. Ah, the joys of a $400 beater.

James
Chicago, IL

The Nissan collection, past and present
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > Engine Performance (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode