Overheating at idle/Fine when driving - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-12-2008, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Overheating at idle/Fine when driving

I searched the forum and couln't find any post with the problem i'm having but apolagize in advance if it's posted somewere. Any way - every once in awhile while i'm driving and stopped at a traffic light or in traffic my temp. gauge will move all the way to hot. When i start moving again it drops right back down to the normal temp. My coolant level is fine and I can't figure out why this would happen. The only light on is my check engine but that on probally cause I have headers installed. It doesn't happen all the time which makes it weirder to me. I was thinking it could be my headers creating a lot of heat and while the car idles the cooling system isn't cooling the engine enough but don't know if that would be it. Can anyone help me out with this problem. Any suggestions would be a help. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-13-2008, 12:02 AM
The Don.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Be careful driving around like that. If the engine is really heating up then the radiator fans should be kicking ON. Check them when the problem reoccurs. If they don't come on then turn the AC to ON in the meantime to get the radiator fans cooling the system. If that still doesn't cause the fans to come ON then you're in deep shit.

'94 Nissan Altima SE, 5spd.
Erebuni 905, Turboing, Hotshot CAI, UR Pulley, Calum ECU,
HUD & ATC retrofitted, DEPO lamps, NGK Ignition wires.
ITEMS FOR SALE
#3 Old 08-18-2008, 05:37 PM

why whould he be in deep shit? if the fans cut on and it still over heating more then likey its the thermostat and that only takes like 15 minutes to put iton an the part is like 15 bucks.
#4 Old 08-18-2008, 10:10 PM
The Don.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradb View Post
why whould he be in deep shit? if the fans cut on and it still over heating more then likey its the thermostat and that only takes like 15 minutes to put iton an the part is like 15 bucks.
Re-read what OP is saying. His temp gauge is showing the engine overheating while idling but good while driving. What does that mean? That coolant must be circulating through the radiator and is getting cooled down by the headwind. If the thermostat was indeed stuck shut then your engine will not be cooling down at any time - except when the cooling fans were running. In which case you'll have what is called an "engine running too hot" condition.

Now keep in mind that our temp gauge does not work linearly. It will sit in the midrange point even while the engine is burning up. Luckily an engine coolant temperature sensor is sensing the actual coolant temperature and feeding that over to the ECU. If the ECU senses about 203 degrees F it should turn on the cooling fans while the water temp gauge remains at midrange. So, are the fans kicking ON? If not, then either the water temp gauge is lying or the cooling fan circuit has a problem. One way to test that, and to also keep the engine cooled off some, is to turn the AC switch ON. And if that still hasn't caused the fans to come ON then he is indeed in deep caca. I'm more inclined to think though that the temp gauge is lying. But OP hasn't responded to confirm.

'94 Nissan Altima SE, 5spd.
Erebuni 905, Turboing, Hotshot CAI, UR Pulley, Calum ECU,
HUD & ATC retrofitted, DEPO lamps, NGK Ignition wires.
ITEMS FOR SALE
#5 Old 08-19-2008, 12:44 AM

well on my cavalier it did he same thing and it was the thermostat thats why i said that but i get what your saying.
#6 Old 08-19-2008, 01:17 AM
Erect Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
could be a blocked radiator as well.
no airflow at a stop will be magnified by a clogged rad.
could be something as simple as leaves and debris or clogged internally.
either way, a coolant system flush and checkup sounds like its in order.

#7 Old 08-19-2008, 03:22 AM

(Thread Starter)
thanks

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to check to see if the radiator is clogged,a nd those sensers. Probally flush the radiator to.
#8 Old 08-19-2008, 08:18 PM

i had the same problem with my altima it was a bad radiator and my fans were not turning on when the ac was on, so i got those replaced as well with a dedicated switch for them to turn on at all times. Make sure also that you dont have a coolant leak, that could also cause your car to overheat at idle. Hope this helps

#9 Old 08-19-2008, 09:45 PM
The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by boitano928 View Post
I searched the forum and couln't find any post with the problem i'm having but apolagize in advance if it's posted somewere. Any way - every once in awhile while i'm driving and stopped at a traffic light or in traffic my temp. gauge will move all the way to hot. When i start moving again it drops right back down to the normal temp. My coolant level is fine and I can't figure out why this would happen. The only light on is my check engine but that on probally cause I have headers installed. It doesn't happen all the time which makes it weirder to me. I was thinking it could be my headers creating a lot of heat and while the car idles the cooling system isn't cooling the engine enough but don't know if that would be it. Can anyone help me out with this problem. Any suggestions would be a help. Thanks.
sounds like something clogged in the radiator for that to do that

Injen Ram Air Intake
OBX 10.3 mm Spark Plug Wires
Trubendz Custom Exhaust W/ Borla Muffler
OBX 4-2-1 Header
Venom Performance Chip
Nissan Pathfinder O2 sensor
Nissan Sentra Cat Converter
Option Racing Strut Bar
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
6000K HID
6000K HID Fog lights
Factory Fog lamps
2001 16" Factory Aluminum Rims
VIS Racing OEM Carbon Fiber Hood
1998 Nissan Altima GXE

Last edited by vipervic; 08-19-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > Engine Performance (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode