Spark Plug Socket Size - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 01:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Spark Plug Socket Size

Alright well I'll start off by stating I'm a complete newb when it comes to car maintenance, with that said heres my question. I recently decided to change my spark plugs, bought all the necessary tools, socket wrench, socket extension, spark plugs etc... Here is my problem I own a 97 Nissan Altima special edition, now I can't seem to figure out what is the correct socket to use in order to remove the spark plugs. I bought a set of sockets that were specifically labeled "Spark Plug Sockets", only one of the sockets would even fit down into the plug hole and it wasn't the right size. That socket was a 5/8". I've tried about 4 different sizes, 14mm, 15mm, etc... So if anyone has information about which socket size corresponds to the spark plugs in my car please respond. Something else i noticed when trying to remove my plugs was that when I removed the boots that snap onto the plugs, the hole was filled with oil and the boots were soaked in it, is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 01:48 AM

your using the wrong sockets, in your kit there is a 5/8 socket that looks different from allthe others and is usally located in a separate place within your kit. it is a deep socket that has a 6 sided nut shaped head on the rachet connector end. inside the socket there is a piece of rubber that is afixed at the back, without this the only thing you will do is loosen the spark plug. that rubber piece holds onto the end of the spark plug so that it can be pulled out.

Yes,..its mine.....
Old 02-02-2009, 10:07 AM

I don't have a kit, just the three sockets that came with the set I purchased labeled "Spark Plug Sockets" and none of them fit. Only one out of the three was narrow enough to even fit down the hole to reach the plug and it wasn't the right size.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:45 PM
Rippen RJ

The easiest thing to do is go to your local auto store, ask them for a spark plug for you Altima and just buy a socket for the spark plug and see if it fits. The plug socket I used is 5/8th but maybe yours is to short or something.

As far as the oil goes, you need to change your valve cover gasket and it comes with a gasket for the spark plugs. It is really easy to fix and takes about 30 mins.

Mods
-----
Bomz Sentra CAI
OBX 4-2-1 Header
2.5" Catback with high flow cat and dynomaxx muffler
Taz Street Motor Mount Inserts
Front Strut Bar
Custom Rear Strut Bar
Koyo Radiator
MSD Blaster Coil 2

Stuff For Sale...
-----
Turbo Kit

It's not the quantity of your post, it's the quality of your post...
Old 02-03-2009, 02:22 AM

Just stopped by my local auto parts store and was informed that the 5/8" is the correct socket size, so not sure why I couldn't get the plug out. I'll try again tomorrow with a better quality socket, the set I originally purchased was from wal-mart. As for replacing the valve cover gasket I've been watching a few instructional videos, bought a kit and will go ahead trying to repair that. Just concerned about what the possible negative effects are for driving with such a leaky valve cover gasket, my plugs were drenched in oil.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:18 AM
Rippen RJ

The plugs could be bad from the oil, give them a good clean and see how they look but better yet how the car feels. If needed, just change them, there only about $10. A good investment is the Haynes manual book. Shows you step by step with pictures too.

Mods
-----
Bomz Sentra CAI
OBX 4-2-1 Header
2.5" Catback with high flow cat and dynomaxx muffler
Taz Street Motor Mount Inserts
Front Strut Bar
Custom Rear Strut Bar
Koyo Radiator
MSD Blaster Coil 2

Stuff For Sale...
-----
Turbo Kit

It's not the quantity of your post, it's the quality of your post...
Old 02-03-2009, 03:22 AM
ewwfffff...another altima

it might be tht you need too push down on the socket wrench too get the rubber bung too suck onto the socket. i know first hand i had tht problem when i purchased some new sockets for my box.
and as far as your boots for your plugs. i had this prob when i first recieved my car from my g-pa.. its a valve cover gasket.. wouldnt recommend doing this. i could now since i have the knowledge but back then i was like you... a "newb" soo its not recommended.
but to start you gotta press on the socket. if it makes it easier take tht rubber bung out for the spark plugs

Last edited by rtkskater44; 02-03-2009 at 03:28 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:12 AM
july notm winner!

DO NOT OVER TORQUE YOUR BOLTS ON YOUR VALVE COVER!!!!! youll break them ****er's real easy...i have one i have to fix sometime

i paint "fancy" valve cover's pm me for detail's
Old 02-03-2009, 06:59 PM
ewwfffff...another altima

true that.. very important info. same for spark plugs. youll want anti seize grease on the spark plug threads as well.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:12 AM

Hi, i'm new to the forum having recently purchased a 97 Altima GXE. I'm having the EXACT same problem with removing the spark plugs. I have the correct socket, a fairly decent magnetic one from Advance Auto Parts, size is 5/8 6-sides shape. It fits the replacements spark plugs i bought for the 97 GXE. However when i try to engage the socket onto the current plugs it just does not engage. I thought maybe there is some kind of 'non fouler' or something that's stopping me from engaging the plug, or a 'tube liner' thing? I've just replaced the entire distributor and am in the process of cleaning the throttle body, i don't want to get stuck on a simple spark plug replacement! Anyone with any more ideas?
Old 03-06-2009, 01:39 AM

dkenj
Buy a Craftsman spark plug socket, they fit better,

Used to own a 93' Altima KA24DE!
Revenge feels so good!
Nissan Tech
Fix it now! When it is right, not when it is very $$$ to fix!!!
Old 03-06-2009, 04:41 PM

For those having difficulty getting the socket on the plug you need to make sure the lower rubber seal on the plug wire came out with the rest of it. If it didn't this seal is blocking the socket from going over the plug all the way.

To remove this seal you will need a hook or a 90* pick or even a pair of hemostats to get ahold of it and pull it out.

HTH
Old 03-06-2009, 07:10 PM

Thanks guys, i've just had another look and indeed there is a rubber ring at the bottom of the spark plug socket, i'm having difficulty pushing past the thick ring and engaging the socket onto the spark plug nut. So you say i can firstly remove the rubber ring on it's own before removing the spark plug? OK i'll try that.
Thanks,
Dkenj

Last edited by dkenj; 03-06-2009 at 07:31 PM. Reason: pictures added
Old 03-06-2009, 07:38 PM

this might help, enjoy
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/eng...ml#post3703835

Used to own a 93' Altima KA24DE!
Revenge feels so good!
Nissan Tech
Fix it now! When it is right, not when it is very $$$ to fix!!!
Old 03-07-2009, 12:59 AM

@ badreligion9265
You may have already sorted it out by now, but for the benefit of anyone else, i've solved the same problem you had.
I didn't realise that the spark plug wires had rubber rings at the very end, because whenever I took my wires off the spark plugs, it was leaving the rubber ring down the cylinder around the plug itself! So when i tried to remove the plug, i could not get the 5/8 socket onto the spark plug nut (the rubber ring was in the way). So i improvised 2 metal sticks with hooks at either end (i pulled the metal strips out of one of those green 'hanging files' you use in a filing drawer) and managed to hook/pull the rings out. One of the rings (in cylinder 1) had mostly melted away, as you can see in the picture

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/566/sparks1.jpg

I can only guess that heat was somehow escaping the combustion chamber and melted it half away!

This picture shows what the wire boot SHOULD look like, with the rubber ring attatched to the end:
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/6803/sparks2.jpg

However it looks like this because the ring is left behind, stuck around the spark plug:
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2163/sparks4.jpg

And this is what is effectively going on 'down in the well', which is why you can't reach the nut with your socket:
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1404/sparks7.jpg

Thanks,
Dkenj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > Engine Performance (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode