LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-04-2008, 04:00 PM
5spd FTW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Angry Oil in the intake manifold

So i decided to give the VIAS disabling a test, and when i removed the plate i noticed there was what looked and smelled like oil all in the bottom half of the intake manifold. I assumed this was normal, but said something in the "Installed NWP block plate today" thread just in case, and pbflash told me it's not normal, and to check my PCV valve

the manual says its "blow-by gas" .. what exactly is that? it just looks like engine oil to me

i cant really make out where exactly it is.... is it the part i have circled?

Last edited by 20SE02; 07-04-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-04-2008, 04:16 PM

I think that nearly everyone who has done this mod has seen oil in their intake manifold. I know I did but I didn't do anything about it, even though I probably should have.

03 Altima 3.5 SE 4AT

Berk V2 w/ Apexi ~ NWP VIAS Plate ~ Racingline FSTB, Grounding Kit, Battery Tie-down, Springs ~ KYB GR2's ~ UR Ultra Sc Pulley ~ BT Under hood and Trunk Lighting
#3 Old 07-04-2008, 04:34 PM

I did a little more research and from what I have read, this seems normal (but that doesn't mean it's good). Some people install catch cans between the PCV and intake so the oil goes into the can instead of the intake. Here's a thread about it:

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/eng...1-oil-uim.html

2004 Smoke 3.5 SE Loaded, Ebay CAI,NWP VIAS plate, 35% tint all around.
Waiting to be installed: Altimaone eyelids amd JDM Grill.
#4 Old 07-04-2008, 04:51 PM
5spd FTW

(Thread Starter)
ahh nice.. didnt see that one when i searched

still unclear as to where the PCV valve is though, gonna go look around in there
#5 Old 07-04-2008, 04:51 PM

The solution for the oil is to install an oil catch can inline on the blue hose coming off your front valve cover. Ideally a second one also for the PCV valve. Because of limited space most have used an air compressor mini air filter instead of the larger aftermarket ones. Lowes, Home Depot also have the available fittings/adapters. My present filter installed off the front valve cover is a KOBALT #221024 with petcock drain valve. I have a #221024 KZ with a push/pull drain valve that is a ear marked for the PCV valve when I do the R&R on my spark plugs. Brands KOBALT at Lowes and HUSKY at Home Depot if you are interested.
il_signore97 was of great help when I inquired!

Last edited by jkg808; 07-04-2008 at 05:01 PM.
#6 Old 07-04-2008, 05:13 PM

I too noticed oil pooling in my intake back when I was messing around with the powervalve. At that point I was running Mobil 1 10w30 Syn oil and have since changed over to Penzzoil 5w30 Platium Syn and have noticed barely a trace of oil inside the intake manifold. Others have also attested to the fact that Mobil 1 seems to get drunk in the VQ and there are plenty of better choices for synthetic oil. I don't have a catch can installed either.
#7 Old 07-16-2008, 02:08 PM
never take it to the shop

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
its plain and simple the more you stay at WOT the more oil is going to be in your intake manifold. Your pcv is mounted in the rear valve cover). The tube going from the rear only sends excess into the front valve cover and then out the nipple to your right and back into the intake manifold. I suggest also replace that oil tube because its gets brittle and cracks. I just got a fuel line cut it to length and put clamps on both sides. Nissan for some reason did not clamp it and over time it will slide and oil will blow out slightly and you will see buildup under and around your upper intake manifold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > Engine Performance (2002-2006)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode