Timing marks on the cam chain - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-30-2010, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Timing marks on the cam chain

I just pulled the IVT cover off and found that the marked link on the chain is not inline with the gear mark. It lags by two full links. Normally I set timing by the gears, the crank pully, and the timing marks embossed into the casting of the block and head...if they are lined up, the chain really does not make a difference. However, on this motor, the shop manual says that they are to line up with a particular link on the chain. Has any one else see this where the colored link does not line up?

Thanks,
Hap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-31-2010, 04:20 PM

read my write up on the head gasket for qr25DE
It explains this. your most like ly looking at the wrong timing mark

Altima 2.5s KY1 Silver
Advance Raybestos Rotors
NGK Platinum
Reflectex Insulation
full interior sound Insulation
Blue interior LEDs
Full LED Exterior and custom LED Interior
Rebuilt Head gasket
Intake matched and ported.
#3 Old 01-31-2010, 06:24 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akashmer View Post
read my write up on the head gasket for qr25DE
It explains this. your most like ly looking at the wrong timing mark
If you are talking about the timing mark on the crank, I am on the correct one. I'm on the third mark, (the difficult one to see) about 10mm past the two easily seen timing marks. I looked at your write up and it is a good one but I'm still looking at a timing chain marked link that's two links off of where it should be. If the cams are in the correct position and the crank is in the correct position, what effect does having the chain mark off by two links have on the timing?

Thanks,
Hap
#4 Old 01-31-2010, 07:21 PM
slowly losing my sanity..

cams are in the correct position with the two left lobes facing outward? (or whatever the manual says.. can't remember exactly) if not, then rotate the crank pulley one full turn. don't forget, there are actually three colored links on the timing chain. be sure cam and crank are correct to know you are viewing the correct link. (sounds like you've already checked all this, but reiterating just in case.)

if you are looking at this area, there should be TWO colored links, not just one:
#5 Old 01-31-2010, 07:25 PM

this is what i meant about the lobes:
#6 Old 02-03-2010, 02:14 AM

Hey how did you cut and past those I tried with the ESM and it wouldn't work for me...

Well anyway another photo source is in that write up, it explains a little better than the ESM where things should be. (and its in color) like PHREEKEE said you have to make sure your on the intake stroke. Sounds like your 180 out of phase. Are you are at TDC EXHAUST?

Altima 2.5s KY1 Silver
Advance Raybestos Rotors
NGK Platinum
Reflectex Insulation
full interior sound Insulation
Blue interior LEDs
Full LED Exterior and custom LED Interior
Rebuilt Head gasket
Intake matched and ported.

Last edited by akashmer; 02-03-2010 at 02:45 AM.
#7 Old 02-03-2010, 03:48 AM

^I copied using the Snapshot button. You might have to turn it on if you don't see it in your toolbar.

#8 Old 02-03-2010, 02:44 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreekee25 View Post
cams are in the correct position with the two left lobes facing outward? (or whatever the manual says.. can't remember exactly) if not, then rotate the crank pulley one full turn. don't forget, there are actually three colored links on the timing chain. be sure cam and crank are correct to know you are viewing the correct link. (sounds like you've already checked all this, but reiterating just in case.)

if you are looking at this area, there should be TWO colored links, not just one:
You nailed this one. I have an issue with some colors with my sight. What I thought was a yellow chain link was an orange one. I continued to turn the motor until I found the actual yellow links (my wife confirmed them as yellow) which did line up with the timing marks on the cam gears. When I checked valve lash clearance I had the crank at TDC for #1 and both the intake and exhaust valves were all closed because the lobes were at the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions respectively.

It all came together well. I still don't understand the need for the colored timing chain links.

Hap
#9 Old 02-03-2010, 07:52 PM

it was a pain in the butt trying to keep the chain from jumping one link off of either one cam sprocket or the other during installation. if the number of links in between sprockets is not correct, it will throw off the timing. so, it's either have colored links, or you would have to count the number of links between each mark. colored links is much easier.
#10 Old 02-05-2010, 01:59 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreekee25 View Post
it was a pain in the butt trying to keep the chain from jumping one link off of either one cam sprocket or the other during installation. if the number of links in between sprockets is not correct, it will throw off the timing. so, it's either have colored links, or you would have to count the number of links between each mark. colored links is much easier.
That's a good point. I've always either counted links or insured that the cams and crank were in the correct position then pulled out slack using the tensioner to insure correct timing...the colored marks are definitely an improvement over that.

Hap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > Engine Performance (2002-2006)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode