The Nissan Club banner

VK56DE RWD Conversion :P

180K views 514 replies 138 participants last post by  diablo2424 
#1 ·
Well some of you may have remember awhile back I was going to do a RWD swap in the Altima. Well the time has come. Its going to be a long process and I'll update u all as much as I can. I ordered my VK56DE from Cali just yesterday that is being sent to E-Shift Performance. Then I'll be breaking down the motor and cleaning it up. I have already removed the whole frontend off the car and I am in the process grinding all the paint down to the bare metal in the engine bay. Just so you all know this isn't going to be a 2 month install job...lol. Its going to take a few months to a year or so. So stay tuned!

Oh yea!!! VK56DE!!!

See less See more
#88 ·
We'll today I got my 350z rear subframe and well theres some good and bad!

Lets do the good first.....
1. All of the altima suspension links bolt up no problem like they were supposed to be there.
2. The rear subframe bolts up on one side but there are issues I'll explain later.

Now the bad...
1. The altima upper control arm does not bolt up to the 350z subframe(probably needs the 350z one)
2. The 350z rear subframe hits the crossmember on the unibody frame (can be removed and supported in another area)
3. Oh and the 350z subframe is 2 inches short in width then the altimas... :/

In conclusion, the main problem is the width of the 350z subframe, but we share alot of similarities in our rear end design as far as suspension. So all is not lost, knowledge it gained. Below are some pictures of how it fits. My next experiment will be to get my hands on a Murano rear subframe to see how it fits up. Now remember that the Murano and Altima share the same chassis and the murano came AWD. So its subframe is made for a rear dif.

Shot from the rear

The circle is the part of the subframe that needs to be removed and re located

A closer look of where the 350z subframe hits the unibody frame

Just a litle too short :/

Looks like it should belong there! LOL :p

Altima suspension components bolted up to the 350z rear subframe

#90 ·
#92 ·
Hey altima02DUB im surprised that you didnt go with the Murano rear subframe in the first place. But know you where thinking of performance, and went for the 350z rear subframe. Cant wait to see how you get that VK56DE to fit in. Oh yes, and we cant forget the tranny.

#93 ·
Interesting. I've been kinda wondering for a while now if the 350Z subframe would just bolt up. I noticed a while back that our rear hubs have an opening for an axle, so I knew we must share some components with our RWD or AWD brethren... Murano subframe sounds promising.

#102 ·
We'll all the altima suspension components bolts right up with the exception of the rear lower link (need to get a murano one). I also belive that the altima upper control arm will be an issue with the rear axles fitting properly (going to get a murano one). I also have to look at the Murano swaybar fitment. My next experiment will be getting my hands on a 350z rear dif (murano dif will not be able to handle the power). more then likely it will not bolt up and some fab work will be needed. below are some pics of the suspension.

oh and today I got my engine finally!! here are some pics

#107 ·
#109 ·
Update: I just ordered rear 350z hubs and 350z axles! I'll be getting them by the weekend. I am just getting them for fitment test. As far as the wiring I am getting there, almost all the wires that will not be needed anymore are being removed.

Here's some of them...lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.