K&N cold air intake filter, pros? cons? should i put one in? - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 01:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
K&N cold air intake filter, pros? cons? should i put one in?

Hello, well ive already replaced the cat converter in my car with a header and i was told i should get a K&N cold air intake for my 2006 engine in my 2002 Nissan Altima 2.5L (replaces 2002 engine with 2006), and well i would love to hear any input from people who have already done this.....i read some things online and most are saying its a rip off due to water sucking and it being some kinda oil filter. I would love to hear some feedback, give me your honest and factful opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2011, 01:51 AM
ZERO MILES SINCE 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Get one if you're looking for a bit more power plus a deep sound. As long as you have the fender liner mounted securely, you should be safe from hydrolock. Other cars have slits in their fender liners which puts their engine easily at risk if they have a cold air intake installed and run through a puddle. But you can always convert it to a warm air intake during the winter as a safety precaution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_turner_02 View Post
just found out that in 2 hours I will be dressing up like justin effing bieber and lip syncing to one of his songs at a damn pep rally in front of the entire school.....fml
Old 04-04-2011, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutt View Post
Get one if you're looking for a bit more power plus a deep sound. As long as you have the fender liner mounted securely, you should be safe from hydrolock. Other cars have slits in their fender liners which puts their engine easily at risk if they have a cold air intake installed and run through a puddle. But you can always convert it to a warm air intake during the winter as a safety precaution.
Whats your definition of "winter" though cause im in Florida the most winter we get is maybe 40 for one of two days they its back up.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:32 PM

I like my K&N. Did give it a deep sound. The filter isn't really low to the part where water can splash into easily.You'd have to be hauling ass through a puddle to get it wet

2005 Altima 3.5 SE Auto
  • Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust
  • K&N Intake System
  • Suspension Techniques 1.5" Lowering Springs
  • 18" Wheels
  • Tinted Windows
  • Carbon Fiber Tail Lights
  • Upper/Lower Billet Grilles
  • Racingline Performance Grounding Kit
Old 04-13-2011, 11:47 PM
Young Blood

Well I can't speak about the cold air intake but I do have the K&N short ram for my 3.5 and I love it... It's not hard to maintain... Filter doesn't have to be cleaned and re-oiled very often at all... I'm willing to bet I could go up to 40 or 50k miles without cleaning and re-oiling... I decided to go with short ram because I'm here in Houston and we get heavy rain often in the summer... Great sound, slightly better throttle response... Overall worth the money for me...

2005 Nissan Altima 5 AT
Amateur Bolt-On Lover
Mods: Magnaflow Cat-Back_Racingline Y-Pipe_VIAS Block-Off Plate_K&N WAI_6000K Lows_3000K Fogs_SE-R Tails_Pioneer DEH-33HD
Old 04-14-2011, 12:55 PM

Thank you for all the responses, it really helps on my decision and I think I am going to get one.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:06 PM
ZERO MILES SINCE 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack181 View Post
Whats your definition of "winter" though cause im in Florida the most winter we get is maybe 40 for one of two days they its back up.
didn't see this post. but you're safe in florida, nothing to worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_turner_02 View Post
just found out that in 2 hours I will be dressing up like justin effing bieber and lip syncing to one of his songs at a damn pep rally in front of the entire school.....fml
Old 04-14-2011, 03:26 PM
Altimer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The hydrolock debate, here we go again, lol. I've gone through my second winter with my CAI on without issue. I ran a while without the filter on (unknowingly) and still had no issues.

Altima traded for Odyssey
Current - 01 HIGHLANDER
Old 04-15-2011, 12:39 AM
Snow... what

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack181 View Post
i read some things online and most are saying its a rip off due to water sucking and it being some kinda oil filter. I would love to hear some feedback, give me your honest and factful opinion.
your not going to suck in any water if you put it in the right place, and hae all the fender liners and under panels still installed around it. another note don't soak the filter in a ton of oil, then you might get problems, moderation is key

Old 04-15-2011, 01:04 AM
Young Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05SickSer View Post
your not going to suck in any water if you put it in the right place, and hae all the fender liners and under panels still installed around it. another note don't soak the filter in a ton of oil, then you might get problems, moderation is key
^Qft... I thought about buying a CAI recently to replace my SRI, but I discovered soon after that my splash shield ripped almost completely off lol... So with heavy summer rains approaching, that thought has gone into the trash...

2005 Nissan Altima 5 AT
Amateur Bolt-On Lover
Mods: Magnaflow Cat-Back_Racingline Y-Pipe_VIAS Block-Off Plate_K&N WAI_6000K Lows_3000K Fogs_SE-R Tails_Pioneer DEH-33HD
Old 04-15-2011, 03:01 AM

would it be worth dropping just a K&N Air filter in the stock air box? or should i save my $40-50 bucks?

2003 Sheer Silver Altima 3.5 SE (auto), 5% Limo tint, KYB GR-2's, Eibach Springs, Royal Purple, Kenwood Double DIN receiver, Boston Acoustic component system, fuzzy dice. (waiting on Cat-Back Exhaust & CAI)
2007 Magnetic Gray Sentra 2.0S -
2008.5 Radiant Silver Titan CC 5.6 SE - fully loaded -
1997 Nissan Sentra GXE Sedan - all stock - still running......

Old 04-15-2011, 03:23 AM

Garage
OEM Replacement filter vs K&N Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by militarydave View Post
would it be worth dropping just a K&N Air filter in the stock air box? or should i save my $40-50 bucks?
If you plan on buying the CAI I would suggest not to spend your money on the OEM replacement. I have the K&N Typhoon and love it. I also have an OEM K&N replacement filter sitting in my garage collecting dust! Waste of $50! Here are the pros about the Typhoon; it can be made into the WAI for winter mode and the CAI for the rest of the time. It comes with a filter dry charger (filter condom) to keep the water out during wet times and it works pretty well. I noticed a difference in throttle response right away! It does have more power now. The cons... GAS! I use more gas! I don't know if it is because I am putting my foot into it more or it's just burning it quicker. The other is the price, but the price is common for a CAI.
Here are pics:

Short ram (WAI) Winter mode, for me at least.

Cold Air Intake

Take your baffle out for both because if you don't have fogs, air is forced up into the wheel well towards the filter in WAI mode. And when you don't have fogs, the filter sits right behind the opening where the light would be and acts like an intake port. Because of that NO FOGS FOR ME! The only thing you have to watch out for is if you take your car through a car wash with high pressure sprays, it might shoot into the fog light hole and hot your filter. It's a good mod.

0331 M60E3 Devil Dog
03 Altima 2.5S Mods: KYB GR2's with H&R Sport Springs, K&N Typhoon CAI, Tower of Power TBS, OBX Lightweight Drive Pulley, Ebay Nana.outpost N1 Catback, Ebay Header and my favorite Tenzo R M Rims with Red lip wrapped Riken Raptors 225/45/18 Z's...

Last edited by fast621; 04-15-2011 at 03:27 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:12 AM

there isn't a airbox housing for the filter? I know Volant, AEM and few other CAI have the black housing that box in the filter.

2003 Sheer Silver Altima 3.5 SE (auto), 5% Limo tint, KYB GR-2's, Eibach Springs, Royal Purple, Kenwood Double DIN receiver, Boston Acoustic component system, fuzzy dice. (waiting on Cat-Back Exhaust & CAI)

Old 04-15-2011, 04:13 AM

also, (dumb question): aren't you supposed the car tuned after a CAI and exhaust upgrade?

has anyone done a 2 degree timing advance?

Old 04-15-2011, 04:18 AM

I"m thinking of just getting one of these:

Dryflow Air Filters - Oil Free Replacement Air Filters and Cone Filters

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > Engine Performance (2002-2006)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode