LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-29-2011, 08:25 AM
Nissan Altima Driver

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Turbo or Supercharger?

I drive a 2006 Altima 2.5L S. Going to mod. Straight up opinion. Turbo or Supercharger? and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-29-2011, 07:32 PM

If it's you only car and drive it every day, sell it and get a V6.
#3 Old 11-29-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imo000 View Post
If it's you only car and drive it every day, sell it and get a V6.
hey bro you must be my bro from another mother lol

no matter how many mods you put on that 2.5 slow it wont matter the only mod that will make that 2.5 go is turbo so if you want power sell that 2.5 and pick up a 3.5 you will lose 2-4mpg's but will gain some nice hp sounds good to me
#4 Old 11-29-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by got2begucci View Post
I drive a 2006 Altima 2.5L S. Going to mod. Straight up opinion. Turbo or Supercharger? and why?
hey a 2.5slow guy is going to do it right nice man go turbo more power anytime you want it turn boost up less harsh on motor than sc and turbo is just more fun . going sc there is no turning up boost you will half to get a new pulley or bigger sc and turbo sounds cooler .atkeast you are going the right way

no matter how many mods you put on that 2.5 slow it wont matter the only mod that will make that 2.5 go is turbo so if you want power sell that 2.5 and pick up a 3.5 you will lose 2-4mpg's but will gain some nice hp sounds good to me
#5 Old 11-29-2011, 11:45 PM
Nismo Whore

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06sepimp View Post
hey a 2.5slow guy is going to do it right nice man go turbo more power anytime you want it turn boost up less harsh on motor than sc and turbo is just more fun . going sc there is no turning up boost you will half to get a new pulley or bigger sc and turbo sounds cooler .atkeast you are going the right way
isn't that backwards? a high pressure turbo would need time to spool up, while a supercharger is constantly spun by the crank. there would be a parasitic loss due to this. however, a low pressure turbo wouldn't have a terrible lag.

there use to be Supercharge kits made for the QR25DE. seem to range range from 4.5 to 9 psi. although treadstone performance makes a turbo kit that has a range of 5-9 psi for $3200+.

#6 Old 11-30-2011, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
in the history of this forum has anyone that has inquired about turboing a 2.5 actually done it rather then fantasize about it?

"Sorry Gramps, My Altima's Nicer Than Yours"

"I would like to apologize in advance for being brutally honest!"

MODS:

- Cargo Net retrofitted in the trunk
- 10w HID Converted Dome Lamp
- 8w HID Converted Door Lamps
- Removed OEM FogLight Covers
- Relocated "Special Edition" badge
- Custom Floor Mats with visible "Special Edition" Logo
#7 Old 11-30-2011, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L31_06 View Post
isn't that backwards? a high pressure turbo would need time to spool up, while a supercharger is constantly spun by the crank. there would be a parasitic loss due to this. however, a low pressure turbo wouldn't have a terrible lag.

there use to be Supercharge kits made for the QR25DE. seem to range range from 4.5 to 9 psi. although treadstone performance makes a turbo kit that has a range of 5-9 psi for $3200+.
i bet a turbo altima will be faster than a sc altima

#8 Old 11-30-2011, 01:14 AM

Quote:
i bet a turbo altima will be faster than a sc altima
thats a dumb bet to make. If you run a small turbo and a decent size supercharger I bet you the supercharger will win. Supercharger is instant power and turbo you can make more power. At the stock engine levels though both of them will be about the same if not the supercharger making more.

IMG_4742 by Deebsr6, on Flickr
#9 Old 11-30-2011, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebsr6 View Post
thats a dumb bet to make. If you run a small turbo and a decent size supercharger I bet you the supercharger will win. Supercharger is instant power and turbo you can make more power. At the stock engine levels though both of them will be about the same if not the supercharger making more.
keep thinking that son i have done many turbo and sc builds on same cars and turbo is allways faster and makes more power there are turbo's out there that make full boost fast. turbo will always be better than sc its fact son turbo is less stress on the motor than a sc your using exhausr gases to make he turbo go

#10 Old 11-30-2011, 03:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
High pressure turbos with lag are virtually a thing of the past....to a point. Done right, and with a turbo sized for the motor it is being mounted to, turbo is THE way to go imho also. I have owned turbo cars my whole life. IF lag is truly a concern for anyone, be smart and read, read ALL you can about the things you can do with bumping compression for that low end power, and high pressure turbo for that ultimate insane mid to top end power. If done correctly, you will have nearly the best of both worlds. Or phuck it and just go Borg Warner's extended tip turbos.

Wheels/Suspension: 5Zigen 19x8 Pro Racers-Falken F452 245/35/19 Tires-Eibach Sportline Springs
Visual: S5 Grille-20% Tint-M3 Window lip Spoiler-LED Cluster/Switches-TWM Weighted Shift Knob
Performance: C-man Headers-C-man 3" Y-Pipe-Magnaflow Exhaust-PNP'd Heads w/Ferra Valves-RevUp Oil Pump-Pulley-JWT C9 Cams-Haltech Platinum ECU-Fujita5 CAI-Weisco Pistons-ARP Head Studs
Audio: Kenwood DNX-9140-ZED Leviathan-Focal Speakers-Sound Deadened-XBox-270Amp Alt

Last edited by 4DZC; 11-30-2011 at 04:10 AM.
#11 Old 11-30-2011, 03:53 AM

Quote:
keep thinking that son i have done many turbo and sc builds on same cars and turbo is allways faster and makes more power there are turbo's out there that make full boost fast. turbo will always be better than sc its fact son turbo is less stress on the motor than a sc your using exhausr gases to make he turbo go
they make a higher peak power? Thats great if you built so many motors and cars you should know that its the area under the curve. Sure you can have a turbo that spools quick but then it also dies out fast. On these motors stock internals you wont see it being able to hold more then 10psi max before it blows. So if its up to me and I am building a car that is great to drive everyday and will go from light to light I will stick with a supercharger. A fully built motor I will stick a turbo on since I will build the motor to be in the rev range of the turbo I want.

I highly doubt that this kid will be buying a twinscroll turbo or a ball bearing turbo for his car.

IMG_4742 by Deebsr6, on Flickr
#12 Old 11-30-2011, 04:09 AM

I highly doubt that this kid will be buying a twinscroll turbo or a ball bearing turbo for his car.[/QUOTE]

yea i bet its all talk anyways but if your going to do it might as well do it all out

#13 Old 11-30-2011, 10:44 AM
My little champion...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
No one comes on here, with 20 or less posts and starts talking about a turbo or supercharger and then actually does it. Most people come on here, already having it done, or half way through the process; not going to happen!!

At least the thread got some activity
#14 Old 11-30-2011, 12:21 PM
It's the llama talking

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywat? View Post
in the history of this forum has anyone that has inquired about turboing a 2.5 actually done it rather then fantasize about it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeVQ35 View Post
No one comes on here, with 20 or less posts and starts talking about a turbo or supercharger and then actually does it. Most people come on here, already having it done, or half way through the process; not going to happen!!

At least the thread got some activity
True and true. This build won't happen. As soon as he realizes it's going to cost more than the combined cost of an air intake and oil change, the project will be put on terminal hold.

There's a better chance of me turboing my car and that's in my "Things To Do Within the Next 20 Years" list.

If, by chance it does happen and I end up eating my words, then I will eat grapes in retribution. Yes...Grapes!

05 3.5SE AT
Lightly modded
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > Engine Performance (2002-2006)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode