The Nissan Club banner

75MM BB TB and 4" intake

31K views 134 replies 24 participants last post by  COLTIN2005SE-R 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried a larger intake on their bb tb yet? I know a lot of guys said they were going to do it up, but i wasnt sure if anyone has yet. Aaron was suppose to send me a link to a guy who was making them, but never did.

#2 ·
Info on a larger intake

So this is all the info that I have gotten for a larger intake. But I still have not ordered.

MAF Mass Air Flow Adapter Pipe, Nissan, FORD and GM, Hitachi Style- TREADSTONE PERFORMANCE

Nice find with the "Mass Air Flow Adapter Pipe". What do you think about there
"HoneyComb MAF Mass Air Meter Airflow Straightener" worth the extra money?
Also I have the "The NWP Engineering 75mm Big Bore Throttle Body Kit for the VQ35DE" so does that mean I am looking into getting the 3" Low or 3" Tall because 75mm converts to inches to 2.95 inches but I still don't under stand what the low and tall means ( I think it's the part you hook up your Mass Air flow sensor to. ). Also would you need a tune right after the install because the car would go straight into limp mod or could you still drive the car until you get the cams broken in or even if I install the 3" inch pipe first drive around for a couple of months before the cams get installed would the car still work?

You are indeed correct that the low/tall option refers to the slot that you hook up the sensor to. If I'm not mistaken we would need the low option. When I ordered mine I did order the honeycomb to assist in 'calming' down and reducing the turbulance created in the pipe. I however never installed it before selling the kit.

You will also need a tune to be able to use that mod as well. Here's another option to the 3.5" TreadStone MAF:

I plan on getting a 4" inch to pair with the NWP TB kit and retune. Hopefully this helps.

The tall MAF is for turbo cars..

Also the guy on the Maxima "3.5 and 4 inch integrated maf/intake housings - Maxima Forums" is missing in action.

#8 ·
If you join the FB Se-R page (Nissan Altima SE-R Greatest Altima of them ALL!!!) there is a guy on there that's making them and selling them (4 inch intakes).
His facebook name is: Douglas RuSerious Sands

#17 ·
That is the best looking altima I have EVER seen...

#10 ·
You make it I well pay.

I don't have facebook. But if anybody makes one I am done. I also would love a cold air intake if the pipe would fit in the hole in front of the pumper with the air filter installed.

#18 ·
He is on the .ORG as well, may be easier to track him down and msg him on there.

#20 ·
Im down for one of these intakes if it makes power. Of course I'll add a BB TB and also the NWP spacer kit.

#28 ·
Like fuzzyknub said Douglas Sands in Mayland makes them. You can get a 3.5 or 4in. He just started making them for our MAFs. Previously they were for the maxima 03 and earlier. They come powder coated to your color preference and are around $130 for a SRI. He doesn't make cold air intakes and it's not really that necessary. I can get his email. I think he is backed up at the moment with orders but ask and see. Like monestar said ya gotta tune.

#29 ·
Cool. Do you think the 4in will be an improvement over the 3.5in with a BB TB?

#36 ·
I posted and there was little to no interest. I did a total of 3 and there were more arguments than anything. One car did 300hp/300 lbs another was 283/272.
I've dynod the 3. 3.5. And 4 and for the de the 4 inch was the highest number.

#37 ·
Hey Doug,
was wondering if you are still making the "4 inch integrated maf/intake housings". It well be going onto a 2005 Nissan Altima SE-R and I like the look of a polish chrome. Also have you looked into an extra pipe for changing it into a cold air intake.

I am also flying out to Vegas tomorrow for two weeks. EDC baby so I won't be back to send you any money until I get back.

But don't think I don't want one I do.

Later Andre'

#47 ·
What's up bro?

What kind of tuning was done with those different sized intakes? What would work well with a stock TB and no engine management beyond TS ECU?
Each of the setups 263 HP (STOCK TB) (Automatic 4 speed with utec) 267 (STOCK TB) HP (Automatic 4 speed with Utec added an 09 TB later) 308 (Automatic 4 speed utec 35 shot) 313 HP (6Speed HLSD Haltech w.2009 motor swap)
Besides the above questions I'm wondering if you have pics of your setups and how they performed on a bolt on car. I figure those 2 numbers you posted are cars that are far from stock?
I have them on FB. I can post later. The one car is a 2k9 swapped car that came out of Pride Auto LLC in Philly. the other is owned by DatDude on the forums, and needless to say I wont list his modlist, but he is not Cammed, Nor fully bolted (No UDP, No SSIM, No headwork or internals, No Headers) and in the 280s. Exhaust mods, uprev, my intake. Thats all.

a bigger intake and MAF is only going to make moar power when it is the last restriction in your plenum. i bet there isnt much moar power at all for near stock cars or only bolt on cars.. you need higher rpms, cams, lots of port work, and moar displacement for this mod to really shine.
INCORRECT Ill tell you like this. Ive sold over 100 of the Maxima intakes, and I can provide you with a good number of videos of street runs where the cars have picked up good power. As well there has been EXTENSIVE research and discussion on this under the following links on the org.
Definitive BBMAF Thread This is not new information. This is my take on something that has been in the VQ community since well before 2011. I purchased my first BBMAF in 2009 and didnt like the fit or finish. Average WHP for an auto max fully bolted FOR ME was 225whp. 225 fully bolted Utec brought it to 247 before any timing adjustments. another 16 for timing and 263. Figuring i was onto something it continued to where I am now.:soapbox: So as stated my car/idea of fully bolted
UDP
SSIM
Spacers
BOP
Headers
Exhaust
I later did a larger pump and injectors and that was just extra icing on the cake. But as it stands BOOM.
Maxima guys have been doing this for years and with great results. None of them are built motors.
Thank you TUKO.

So say in my case, I have a BOP, 2* timing advance. RL y-pipe. Im considering the RL HFPC after a drop. So you wouldn't consider a 3.5in intake, BB TB, MAF and uprev tune in my case? 5AT btw.
The 4 inch made more power over the 3.5 with 0 loss in the rev range so we kept the 4s. I offer them in a 3.5 but after the comparison noone bought the 3.5s anymore. I offered them at the same time. Send me an email at cant.get.ryte@gmail.com and ill link you to a kid with a modified elbow (I hollow out the elbows on ssims that I do), ssim, spacers, 4 inch and dek injectors. I can also link you to manny simmons or any other number of people with a combination similar to what you have now. With the BB TB, Intake, and uprev youll see Good gains. My recommendation would be hollowed out cats or headers, a good 3 inch y pipe, and at least a dual 2.5 rear section of exhaust. 3 inch if possible.

#39 · (Edited)
Besides the above questions I'm wondering if you have pics of your
setups and how they performed on a bolt on car. I figure those 2 numbers you posted are cars that are far from stock?

#41 ·
Maxima guys have been doing this for years and with great results. None of them are built motors.

#42 · (Edited)
:blah:
How worth it is a $$$$ expensive air intake for a few h.p. on a stock car? great results eh?> tell the whole story with a trade off between stock throttle response and drivability for a few extra h.p... there's a reason why this mod isn't popular on near stock cars.
intake pipe$ + new G35 MAF or UpRev MAF$ + silicone couplers$+ tune with new MAF$ = $$$$ = only worthwhile for highly modified vq's

#44 ·
From the dyno results shown on some maximas I would say its worth it. 10+whp peak and 20-30whp elsewhere. Obviousky results may vary.

It isnt a popular mod for a few reasons. It cost money. You need a tune. If your going to spend this money and get a tune you might as well have a lot of bolt-ons.

#46 · (Edited)

This would be with the 2009 motor swap. Fully bolted, stock cams, stock compression, stock trans and clutch (IE no lightweigh flywheel and an OEM clutch) My car now has a fidanza and stage 1 clutch as well as another qtp cutout.

from 3" with 6.5k redline, and to a 3.5" intake with a 7kredline
and the full numbers comparison run
3 inch final tune Blue 3.5 inch final tune RED^^^^^^

Extending the limiter out with the 3.5 over the 3.0

an early shot at my 2d production for the max.

@NismoS14
Will require an AFC, but well worth it.

the thread
3.5" Intergrated Maf+4" Intergrated Maf-In STOCK NO LRMAF NEEDED - Maxima Forums

#48 ·
Your welcome Doug.

Just stating some facts and shining light on a great mod not too many altima owners know about.

Guys honestly thisnis the best intake setup. Its way cheaper then building your own 3.5" or 4" maf/intake setup. All one piece ia way better. Dont forget to get the velocity stack. Makes a difference.

Someone should start a thread and get a few of these made from Doug.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.