Pros\Cons of Removing Resonator - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-28-2008, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Pros\Cons of Removing Resonator

Like Title said. I'm about to remove my resonator off my 08 altima with already installed Magnaflow with Tips. I was wondering about the pro/con beforei do it 2mrw morning. I'm replacing the resonator with a straight pipe and hoping to achieve a better deeper tone. Right now it deep but not as loud as i thought it would be. HELP ME >.>

I also havve a installed Fuijta Intake already too. lol

car engine size is 2.5 4cyl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-28-2008, 11:09 PM

I was thinking about doing the same thing. I'm either going to go resonator less or add a Magnaflow resonator. I would also like to know what the pros and cons are.
#3 Old 01-28-2008, 11:18 PM
Ctrl-F Yourself

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ok heres the scoop....i was wondering the same and just got a wild hair up my ass and did it....i ran a straight pipe from my cat. to a tip. NO MUFFLER. when i removed the resonater...my parents bought me a muffler and told me i had to install it. it will be louder. the right mufflers can really make the difference..if you want a deep tone, hit up magnaflow mufflers with a straight pipe. if you want a fartcan sound, dont run mufflers. other than that i think it souds great. very smooth with a muffler and farty without one. your choice.....let me know if itt helps...tell me if you would like prices

E-Racings Front|Tint|Tsudo Catback|Verde 18's|Woodgrain Dash Kit|Tinted Tails|Vinyl Behind Mirrors| Too Much to List!
DIY LED Tursignals In Mirrors|DIY Projector Retrofit|What You Need to Convert to OEM HID|Nissan Factory Service Manual Here|How To Check/Clear SES Codes HERE|Upgrading The Stock Halogen Headlights|Detailed Description of HID and Angel Eyes

BEST IN CLASS AT 2009 CANAL DAYS CAR SHOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeVQ35 View Post
Your car is like the ugly chick that all the guys look at in disbelief, but she tells all her girlfriends that guys are constantly checking her out.
#4 Old 01-28-2008, 11:27 PM
say what?!

not having one or the shorter it is, the louder it will be. not really any specific pros/cons, it just depends on your definition of what sounds "good"

2005 - 2008 - 2005 Altima 2.5S
2008 - 2010 - 1999 BMW 323i
Current Car - 2007 BMW 335i
#5 Old 01-28-2008, 11:30 PM
Rub my fender

Lots of people, including myself on the 3'rd gens used the 28" magnaflow resonator. The shorter 22" one wasn't enough to get rid of the cabin drone. That seemed to be the biggest issue to everyone.

Mine sounded like poop with no resonator, but I also had headers.

Do I look like a cat to you boy? Am I jumpin' around all nimbly bimbly from tree to tree? Am I drinking milk from a saucer? DO YOU SEE ME EATING MICE?
#6 Old 01-29-2008, 12:54 AM
Forty-something MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foglght View Post
Lots of people, including myself on the 3'rd gens used the 28" magnaflow resonator. The shorter 22" one wasn't enough to get rid of the cabin drone. That seemed to be the biggest issue to everyone.

Mine sounded like poop with no resonator, but I also had headers.
2.5 or 3.5?

. : The Rupp : .

.: 2007 3.5SE :: Precision Grey :: Sport Package :: CVT :: Höen Xenonmatch Plus Low Beams :. - Traded for:

.: 2008 3.5SE :: Dark Slate :: Premium Package :: CVT :: Garmin nüvi 350 Hardwire :: 20% Tint All Around :. - Gone

.: 2006 BMW 330i :: Sparkling Graphite :: Premium Package :: Sport Package :: 6MT :. - Sold

.: 2010 Scion tC :: Flint Mica :. - Sold

.: 2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco :: 6MT :. - Awaiting more LED's

LED: LED Thread :: Footwells & Cupholder :.
#7 Old 01-29-2008, 02:17 AM

(Thread Starter)
i have a 2.5 :O i have magnaflow str8 pipe with sound dampening muffuly and double wall tip =] Im about to do it 2mrw. We'll see wat going to happen. HOpefully i dont get droning noises... BLAH HELP :O scared! +X
#8 Old 01-29-2008, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnguyen View Post
i have a 2.5 :O i have magnaflow str8 pipe with sound dampening muffuly and double wall tip =] Im about to do it 2mrw. We'll see wat going to happen. HOpefully i dont get droning noises... BLAH HELP :O scared! +X
make sure you post some video with sound. so i can make up my mind to do this or not. thanks.
#9 Old 01-29-2008, 03:33 AM
3498 cc

Pro: Sounds louder.
Con: Sounds louder.

2005 ALTIMA 3.5 SE | LEATHER SPORT · ABS · TCS · A/T
SE-R FRONT/REAR/TAILS/RSB : SIDE SILLS : 35% LLUMAR
PIONEER AVIC-D3 : IPOD : BLUETOOTH : B-QUIET ULTIMATE : CLIFFORD 50.5X
#10 Old 01-29-2008, 10:46 AM
Rub my fender

Quote:
Originally Posted by therupp View Post
2.5 or 3.5?
3.5, and I meant to say 22" instead of 28. I just went back and looked at my 3 year old post.

Do I look like a cat to you boy? Am I jumpin' around all nimbly bimbly from tree to tree? Am I drinking milk from a saucer? DO YOU SEE ME EATING MICE?
#11 Old 01-29-2008, 03:25 PM

so what does the resonator do exactly?
is there a way to achieve the 350z/g35 sound? not lookign for the loud mummble or anythign liek that. jsut want that slight g35 growl.
#12 Old 01-29-2008, 08:54 PM
The Fastest 4th Gen in NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwang98131 View Post
so what does the resonator do exactly?
is there a way to achieve the 350z/g35 sound? not lookign for the loud mummble or anythign liek that. jsut want that slight g35 growl.
its pretty hard to mimic the stock sound of those cars because of the muffler setup that it has, so your best bet is to mimic the sound of a aftermarket exhaust z/g35, which is easily achievable just by getting the right cat-back. the nismo cat-back sounds alot like a z/g35 with a cat-back, and its not too loud either.

**Fujita SRI** 14.225 @ 100.00 MPH w/2.207 60ft, 90F, 65% Humidity
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/rac...-7-6-08-a.html
#13 Old 01-29-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Crazy Max View Post
its pretty hard to mimic the stock sound of those cars because of the muffler setup that it has, so your best bet is to mimic the sound of a aftermarket exhaust z/g35, which is easily achievable just by getting the right cat-back. the nismo cat-back sounds alot like a z/g35 with a cat-back, and its not too loud either.
then are you saying the car is ok to be screaming that loud and maxing out on rpms goign 60 or 80 whatever it is in a lower gear? thats the part i dont get. i thought it was harder on the car and stressign the gears when you do things liek that.
#14 Old 01-29-2008, 11:01 PM
QRuisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwang98131 View Post
then are you saying the car is ok to be screaming that loud and maxing out on rpms goign 60 or 80 whatever it is in a lower gear? thats the part i dont get. i thought it was harder on the car and stressign the gears when you do things liek that.
Huh? I don't think that's what he was saying at all. What I thought he said was that since the Z/G gets it sound from an OEM muffler which won't fit our cars, it's hard to make our cars sound like that. You're best bet is to get a catback system which fits the car and sounds like a similar Z/G aftermarket system.

I don't know where you got this gearing stuff from...wrong thread maybe?

2007 Altima 2.5 SL Sedan - Dark Slate and Charcoal
JVC KD-AHD39 headunit | Sony 6.5" coaxials (front doors) | Alpine Type S 6.5" coaxials (rear doors) | Polk 6x9's (rear deck) | Rockford Fosgate Punch P250.2 amp | 2 10" subs | Debadged
Plans for the summer: Fujita SRI

#15 Old 01-29-2008, 11:45 PM

(Thread Starter)
did it this morning. Sound got much louder, but it evens out. sound like FQ45 :O but that about it. It got little too loud in the cabin for me even with my magnaflow so yea.. but it sound nice =X

Video up later when i have gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > Engine Performance (2007-2012)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode