Expected HP Gains - Page 2 - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

NissanClub.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 12:12 AM
Altimation

So if I'm understanding you guys right, your suggestions are to get the Stillen headers, 2J racing lightweight pulley, and the K&N intake? That totals to about $750 and gives me approximately 20whp?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtheqt View Post
I found these 2 and I'm not sure which one is better. Is it complicated to tune your own engine, I have no experience with it at all.

WatchDog<sup>TM</sup> Multi-function Performance Gauge
Triple Dog GT Gas Gauge/Tuner

According to the dyno charts, tested vehicles gained approximately 100 hp. I'm not sure if that's at all accurate but if so, can an Altima 2.5 handle that much hp gains? (engine, CVT-wise)
its this one Triple Dog GT Gas Gauge/Tuner

there is no tuner that will add 100hp to the 2.5 its just not there in the engine as is. what you can look at is around a 10% increase in hp. depending on the tune u choose( there is no self tuning) and what other bolt ons you have. car stock will give u the least increase. car with several bolt ons will give u more of an increase.

i highly recommend these four things for increase in performance. intake, tune, pulley and exhaust in that order. you should be able to do all 4 for way less than $1000 if you price everything right and dont waste $$ on names like Stillen and Nismo

now if you are making your car faster u need to stop and handle better too. so put $$$ aside for that too
Old 11-14-2012, 12:39 AM
IT Consultant

I've seen turbo kits for $1500ish? 10psi alone'll give you 240ish
Old 11-14-2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMusician View Post
I've seen turbo kits for $1500ish? 10psi alone'll give you 240ish
Is it a piece together kit? That and he has to be able to install it.

Something like this?

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/Cus...er-Kit/549013/

Still take a tune and misc..

I found this.

http://www.fastwayracer.com/p2986/02...c2af5aba9611a9

Like 702l32 said its gonna take other things. Nothing is easy and cheap these days.

Last edited by blueis300; 11-14-2012 at 01:21 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtheqt View Post
So if I'm understanding you guys right, your suggestions are to get the Stillen headers, 2J racing lightweight pulley, and the K&N intake? That totals to about $750 and gives me approximately 20whp?
I'd say it would be closer to 30 whp. But more important is those should be gains all throughte power band. Low end thru high. You start there and you will feel it.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:01 AM
IT Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueis300 View Post
Is it a piece together kit? That and he has to be able to install it.

Something like this?

Altima QR25 Turbocharger Kit by Custom

Still take a tune and misc..

I found this.

02-11 Nissan Altima QR25 2.5L T3/T4 Turbo Kit - FastWayRacer.Com

Like 702l32 said its gonna take other things. Nothing is easy and cheap these days.
How hard could piecing things together be? Given the right tools, time, and reading the manual?

I just figure spending $1,000 gaining 30hp tops vs waiting a couple paychecks and spending $1500 gaining 150-200hp...
Old 11-14-2012, 03:04 AM
Altimation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 702L32 View Post
its this one Triple Dog GT Gas Gauge/Tuner

there is no tuner that will add 100hp to the 2.5 its just not there in the engine as is. what you can look at is around a 10% increase in hp. depending on the tune u choose( there is no self tuning) and what other bolt ons you have. car stock will give u the least increase. car with several bolt ons will give u more of an increase.

i highly recommend these four things for increase in performance. intake, tune, pulley and exhaust in that order. you should be able to do all 4 for way less than $1000 if you price everything right and dont waste $$ on names like Stillen and Nismo

now if you are making your car faster u need to stop and handle better too. so put $$$ aside for that too
But the intake and pulley added together will be around $300-400 already. The tune is at least $400? That leaves $200 for an exhaust. I can barely find any exhaust that will fit a 2.5, if you know any that doesn't sound ricey nor raspy, it would be appreciated.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:11 AM

the pulley is less than $100 (2J racing.com)
intakes can vary from $100 up to 300+. shop aroundthey are all SRI warm air intakes only differences are mainly the heat shield if it does have one. what u choose is up to you
the bully dog can be had for around $300 new. check ebay or amazon. i got mine for $280 new
that leaves you $300 to 500 left for exhaust work like headers or muffler replacements.

if you dont mind used stuff check the For Sale section in here http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/parts-sale-fs/ for anything u might want

Last edited by 702L32; 11-14-2012 at 03:24 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMusician View Post
How hard could piecing things together be? Given the right tools, time, and reading the manual?

I just figure spending $1,000 gaining 30hp tops vs waiting a couple paychecks and spending $1500 gaining 150-200hp...
Sure. Just trying to be objective about things like this. Can you be without your car while trying to install. Manual? Dont think there is one for a turbo kit. Probably just basic that come with the kit but part of it is going to be custom. On the one you still need to add injectors,fuel pump and tune. A manual isnt going to tell you what to do with the universal piping in case it doesnt fit. Just from the few searches I did on this site. It isnt a cut a dry install. I would stay with the basic things people have suggested until ready to spend some money on a good kit and everything needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to blueis300 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 06:36 AM
Altimation

Quote:
the pulley is less than $100 (2J racing.com)
intakes can vary from $100 up to 300+. shop aroundthey are all SRI warm air intakes only differences are mainly the heat shield if it does have one. what u choose is up to you
the bully dog can be had for around $300 new. check ebay or amazon. i got mine for $280 new
that leaves you $300 to 500 left for exhaust work like headers or muffler replacements.

if you dont mind used stuff check the For Sale section in here Parts For Sale - FS - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum for anything u might want
I've already got the K&N air intake and 2J pulley down.

I'm looking at this one.
Amazon.com: Bully Dog 40410 Triple Dog GT Gas Gauge Tuner: Automotive Amazon.com: Bully Dog 40410 Triple Dog GT Gas Gauge Tuner: Automotive
How does this thing work anyways?

As for the headers and mufflers, can you give me suggestions if Stillen is not what I should be looking at? I want a muffler that sounds good and is decent. Headers can be anything as long as they're giving me better airflow.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:27 AM

that looks like a good price. the instructions with the BD are extensive and pretty clear. if u want tips on settings ill help u with that.

i never got headers or exhaust myself. never got around to it. what i gathered from everyone in here, who did exhaust upgrades, it was mainly for sound and no performance gain. headers would give you a boost in performance for sure. but you gotta deal with CEL cause it removes a cat converter, and it adds alot of heat to the engine bay(wrapping helps alot in that area).

there are youtube clips of altimas with different exhaust choices. see if u like any of those. two things not to do are: removal of resonator and/or run straight pipe(no mufflers)
Old 11-14-2012, 07:32 AM
IT Consultant

Quote:
that looks like a good price. the instructions with the BD are extensive and pretty clear. if u want tips on settings ill help u with that.

i never got headers or exhaust myself. never got around to it. what i gathered from everyone in here, who did exhaust upgrades, it was mainly for sound and no performance gain. headers would give you a boost in performance for sure. but you gotta deal with CEL cause it removes a cat converter, and it adds alot of heat to the engine bay(wrapping helps alot in that area).

there are youtube clips of altimas with different exhaust choices. see if u like any of those. two things not to do are: removal of resonator and/or run straight pipe(no mufflers)
Truth. I have headers solely to avoid the disintegrating pre-cat, but the P0420 code is kicking my ass and mechanics keep giving me crap about it. So I might end up getting an aftermarket one.

It sounds a little nicer, and the response at the higher RPMs is slightly better, but that's about it. Catbacks give a nice sound and a slight (slight) boost, and intake mods seem negligible, none of it being worth the money IMO.

A true boost would be a turbo or a super, IMO. Add bigger cams + all the aforementioned stuff and then it'll scream, but it would mostly be the turbo giving you the HP.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:43 AM

can u get a hi flow cat installed?
Old 11-14-2012, 03:24 PM
Altimation

I'm most likely going to do it in this order.

K&N air intake, 2j pulley, BD tune, mufflers, and headers.

For the pulley, do I need the PS combo? I don't wanna lose PS.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:40 PM

its not worth doing. the crank pulley is all you need
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > Engine Performance (2007-2012)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.