Expected HP Gains - Page 3 - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 Old 11-14-2012, 09:59 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
I didnt see where you listed if you had a two door or 4 door? Assuming its a 4 door, but there are more less expensive alternatives for exhaust with the 2 door
jeffb3348 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#32 Old 11-14-2012, 11:54 PM
Altimation
 
tbtheqt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 7
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
iTrader: 1 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb3348 View Post
I didnt see where you listed if you had a two door or 4 door? Assuming its a 4 door, but there are more less expensive alternatives for exhaust with the 2 door
It's a 4 door. I'm considering just changing mufflers but my options are very limited.
tbtheqt is offline  
#33 Old 11-17-2012, 04:02 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtheqt View Post
It's a 4 door. I'm considering just changing mufflers but my options are very limited.
So I have decided to make my own cat back exhaust. I looked underneath. I already replaced the y-pipe which nissan had a critical crimp restricting exhaust flow.

I've heard some awful exhaust on you tube so i want to get it right.

I see that after the y-pipe is 1 resonator, 1 mid muffler, another crimp in the exhaust then 2 more mufflers. No wonder our exhaust is so quiet.

So my plans are to remove the mid-muffler. Replace resonator and 2 mufflers. And replace crimped pipe. I talked to a local muffler shop and they can do this for me.


Total cost to me is about $550.

Ive been looking at magnaflow and vibrant universal resonator and mufflers, but everyone swares by magnaflow, so guess I have to try them out.


Once I get the work I'll put a video with sound clip for everyone.

let me know what your thoughts are?
jeffb3348 is offline  
#34 Old 11-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Registered User
 
702L32's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Born on Oahu, Living in Las Vegas
Posts: 4,403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 17
Thanked 58 Times in 54 Posts
iTrader: 5 reviews
magnaflows are good

702L32 is offline  
#35 Old 11-17-2012, 05:03 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb3348 View Post
So I have decided to make my own cat back exhaust. I looked underneath. I already replaced the y-pipe which nissan had a critical crimp restricting exhaust flow.

I've heard some awful exhaust on you tube so i want to get it right.

I see that after the y-pipe is 1 resonator, 1 mid muffler, another crimp in the exhaust then 2 more mufflers. No wonder our exhaust is so quiet.

So my plans are to remove the mid-muffler. Replace resonator and 2 mufflers. And replace crimped pipe. I talked to a local muffler shop and they can do this for me.


Total cost to me is about $550.

Ive been looking at magnaflow and vibrant universal resonator and mufflers, but everyone swares by magnaflow, so guess I have to try them out.


Once I get the work I'll put a video with sound clip for everyone.

let me know what your thoughts are?
So is this for sound only? I doubt you will gain any HP.

.
mrsalty is offline  
#36 Old 11-17-2012, 06:05 PM
Altimation
 
tbtheqt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 7
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
iTrader: 1 reviews
(Thread Starter)
What are my options if I'm looking for just a muffler for a 2.5 sedan?
tbtheqt is offline  
#37 Old 11-18-2012, 12:49 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsalty View Post
So is this for sound only? I doubt you will gain any HP.
Im going for performance too. Basically performance catback exhaust eliminate any factory restrictions to exhaust flow. I have located the crimped down pipe after the muffler and will replace hopefully eliminate any back pressure. The new resonator and mufflers will be straight through flow design, which I dont believe nissan stock actually is?

The y-pipe was just fixing a crimp and deleting the main cat. And it was impressive the gain.

Ive done a little research here, should be minor gains. I guess I will let you know in a few months when I can afford it if I feel anythng.

Either way, it will sound like it should.
jeffb3348 is offline  
#38 Old 11-18-2012, 12:57 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtheqt View Post
What are my options if I'm looking for just a muffler for a 2.5 sedan?

There are a ton of universal. You need 2.25 in inlet, and whatever outlet you want. (3-4.5 inch)

here's what i decided to go with, but you can find cheaper out there if cost is critical. $140.99 each

Newegg.com - Magnaflow Performance Exhaust 14829 Street Performance Stainless Steel Muffler


but look underneath your car. I have the v6 version, but im guessing yours also has a mid muffler like mine. That really kills the sound. So if you buy 2 mufflers for a deeper tone, it will get deeper, but remain real quiet.

Thats why I want the mid muffler out of there.

Can anyone else out there validate this?
jeffb3348 is offline  
#39 Old 11-18-2012, 12:59 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Im sure someone will correct me. Some back pressure is needed
Otherwise you will hurt things.
blueis300 is offline  
#40 Old 11-18-2012, 04:38 AM
Altimation
 
tbtheqt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 7
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
iTrader: 1 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb3348 View Post
There are a ton of universal. You need 2.25 in inlet, and whatever outlet you want. (3-4.5 inch)

here's what i decided to go with, but you can find cheaper out there if cost is critical. $140.99 each

Newegg.com - Magnaflow Performance Exhaust 14829 Street Performance Stainless Steel Muffler


but look underneath your car. I have the v6 version, but im guessing yours also has a mid muffler like mine. That really kills the sound. So if you buy 2 mufflers for a deeper tone, it will get deeper, but remain real quiet.

Thats why I want the mid muffler out of there.

Can anyone else out there validate this?
According to MF, their authorized online retailers have this badge.
MagnaFlow Exhaust - Buy Online
The site you gave me doesn't so I'm kinda suspicious if it's trustworthy.

But back on topic, so even with the MF muffler, it will still be quiet?
tbtheqt is offline  
#41 Old 11-18-2012, 05:52 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtheqt View Post
According to MF, their authorized online retailers have this badge.
MagnaFlow Exhaust - Buy Online
The site you gave me doesn't so I'm kinda suspicious if it's trustworthy.

But back on topic, so even with the MF muffler, it will still be quiet?
It will be a little louder. But if you have the mid muffler removed it will sound a lot better. Basically the mI'd muffler is twice as big as each back ones. So imagine it quiet s the sound a lot. But performance mufflers will sound good but you will probably think too quiet. Its your call. Just I think our exhaust is super quiet. Never seen 3 mufflers before
jeffb3348 is offline  
#42 Old 11-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Altimation
 
tbtheqt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 7
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
iTrader: 1 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb3348 View Post
It will be a little louder. But if you have the mid muffler removed it will sound a lot better. Basically the mI'd muffler is twice as big as each back ones. So imagine it quiet s the sound a lot. But performance mufflers will sound good but you will probably think too quiet. Its your call. Just I think our exhaust is super quiet. Never seen 3 mufflers before
Actually, I like quiet exhausts like the ones on the G and Z. They're not loud unless you smash on it. I think I will try the MF mufflers before removing the mid one.
tbtheqt is offline  
#43 Old 11-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Registered User
 
zbarbato016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: 0 reviews
If youre not trying to spend a ton of money you could go the route I went. And it sounds awesome and it got rid of the restricted air flow. I had a muffler shop cut out and replace the resonator with a magnaflow round muffler. It fits in the spot where the resonator was perfectly. Then I had them remove the 2 back mufflers completely and weld in a small pipe in their place to keep the stock exhaust tips. I will eventually get some different exhaust tips but for now it looks fine. I had them push back the tips a couple of inches as well to give it a more agressive look. So basically I am running headers to the magnaflow round muffler (in the spot where the resonator used to be) and then straight piped out to the back. Best part was it cost me 155 dollars for all of it and it really does sound better than a lot of the catback exhausts that are out there for 700 to 1000 dollars.
zbarbato016 is offline  
#44 Old 11-20-2012, 09:01 PM
Registered User
 
702L32's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Born on Oahu, Living in Las Vegas
Posts: 4,403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 17
Thanked 58 Times in 54 Posts
iTrader: 5 reviews
^^got any video/sound clips?

702L32 is offline  
#45 Old 11-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtheqt View Post
It's a 4 door. I'm considering just changing mufflers but my options are very limited.

SO, I decided to go ahead and give myself a custom exhaust. by trial and error I am gonna get it right but at extra cost and time to myself

Im thinking you would be best to start with the mufflers first.

My magnaflows sound nice and deep, but they are real loud in the crusie range of 1800-2300 rpm's. Real loud in the cabin of the car.

So now I will be adding another quiet resonator on top of the 1 I already ordered.


additional power was observed all across the powerband. I think was primarily the mufflers, because nissan stock are double chamber which restrictive but more quiet.

in other words, start cheap with the mufflers.


Note. My muffler shop actually has magnaflow gereric's called flow 409. only cost $79 each plus $25 each on tips.

good luck!
jeffb3348 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > Engine Performance (2007-2012)

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


<

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome