The Nissan Club banner

Gas Type & Oil Change

17K views 46 replies 21 participants last post by  chunt5 
#1 ·
Helloo everyone!!!

I just bought a new 2014 SL Car. I have been gunning the car lately but my 4th round for the gas is killing me which i figure of course so i have been trying not to gun it and try to stay below 2000rpm... I guess no more gunning to get good gas mileage and its working, my average is going since my daily route is mostly highway, i am getting there now close to 24...

I am confused is here that What gas should i be putting in the car and oil change?

Is there any benefits for to put Regular gas? Plus? Super? I was recommend to put Plus.

Oil Change - Regular or Synthetic Oil Change? I am thinking about Synthetic Oil Change? What you guys think?

#2 ·
If you have a 2.5... you need Regular 87.

Oil change.. 0W-20 is better for MPG but 5W-30 (or 5W-20 I cant remember right now), can also be used but 0W-20 has a lower viscosity so it flows like water so you get better MPG.

Also check your tire pressure.

Turn off the AC as that eats up ur MPG as well.

#3 ·
Helloo everyone!!!

I just bought a new 2014 SL Car. I have been gunning the car lately but my 4th round for the gas is killing me which i figure of course so i have been trying not to gun it and try to stay below 2000rpm... I guess no more gunning to get good gas mileage and its working, my average is going since my daily route is mostly highway, i am getting there now close to 24...

I am confused is here that What gas should i be putting in the car and oil change?

Is there any benefits for to put Regular gas? Plus? Super? I was recommend to put Plus.

Oil Change - Regular or Synthetic Oil Change? I am thinking about Synthetic Oil Change? What you guys think?
Dear Confused,

Nissan understood that people would have questions when they bought a new car, so they were kind enough to put a packet of books/booklets/manuals in your glovebox. Inside these books are valuable information about your car. Take the time to read thru them. Lots of useful information in them. They even have an index, to help speed your search.

Speaking of searches, this Forum has a SEARCH feature. Gasoline and Oil and Filters have been discussed many times before. Search for those key words.

Enjoy your car.

#8 ·
24 mpg seems low. Did the 2014 decrease in miles per gallon? I have a 2013 3.5SV. If I can believe the on screen display, It shows consistently 26 mpg for city driving and 31.5 highway. Average mixed driving is 29 to 29.5. On a recent trip with speed kept around 65 for over a hundred miles from fill up, the display showed 36 mpg. I run California mid-grade 89. Seems that I note better fuel mileage with Chevron fuel.

#9 ·
Use the type of products that are recommended in the owner's manual, and stop listening to Monday morning engineers who think they know more than all the engineers at Nissan combined. Most don't know jack shit about oil viscosity or the tests that were run on that engine. Nor do they know how the engine was tuned for the recommend fuel.

Reactions: nyrmk
#10 ·
Fuel regular 87.If you have extra money in your pocket then buy premium gas.
Oil 0w20. In new car oil need change at 5000 mi.After that you may put regular for 3000mi or semi synthetic for 5000mi or full synthetic for 7000 mi.
Now stop ask kids questions and think about something else.Thank you.

#11 · (Edited)
0w-20 gives better MPG(fractionally), 0w-30 or 5w-30 will technically give better wear protection but unless you get over 300K its not enough to really make a difference as long as you change regularly and don't always use a heavy foot.

In my personal testing with many tanks of both 87 and 89 oct from Mobile in MY car I have noticed 2-3 MPG better with 89 oct. I did 7 tanks of each back to back and then after going back to 87 that 2-3 MPG went away again.

With prices in my area 2-3 MPG is enough to make up for the cost difference. But (pun) your mileage may vary.

#12 · (Edited)
2.5L i4
Oil: Castrol Synthetic Blend 5-30
Gas (as of recent): 87 and 89 10% or less Ethanol. For a couple of week I did use Ethanol Free 90 but it's a bit expensive (~4.10$/gal), I mix it up.

Driving: 90%city/10%highway: MPG on the inside Display 30.4mpg.
-Yes, I know the inside display isn't 100% accurate for the MPG.. I've seen some people report lower and higher manual calculations.
So in reality my MPG is around 30.4 +- 5-10%

#13 ·
87 octane for my baby. Screw the people that bitch about the computer calculated mpg, what difference does it make? It's a helluva lot better than my Silverado with a 5.3.

Reactions: kap142
#15 ·
You're just an incessant complainer.

#18 · (Edited)
To get back on topic, Costco 87 and Mobil 1 Extended Performance (true) full synthetic or AMSOIL signature full synthetic. Currently I'm using Mobil 1 more often then AMSOIL and changing it more often to maintain a better warranty status. AMSOIL is the superior oil, but at a superior price too if you're changing it at the Nissan recommended intervals. I have the 3.5 so 5w-30 is the recommended weight and what I use. Costco doesn't have 89, and premium is a waste, so I stick with 87 - what the car was designed for.

#19 ·
If you go by the Nissan book, Amsoil isn't correct because it's Group IV PAO-based. My friend who repairs Nissans changed my oil and put Redline in because it's a Group V ester-based oil. Well frankly I don't know if that really makes a difference, except that oil change cost me over $100 with a discount. I'm telling you I was pissed, and would have jumped all over their asses if they weren't my friends. And then he only gave me 5000 miles between oil changes. I use to sell Amsoil, and my change intervals were 15,000 miles. You can double check that oil, but I think Nissan recommends Group V, and that pisses me off. :banghead: Now some have suggested that it could be an ester-blend (Group III), and not a full synthetic.

#23 ·
I just had 0w-20 Mobile 1 put in my car, it was $50 for the oil at Pepboys.

Group V is all synthetic I believe. Many oils have Ester in them, and the Nissan oil is not known for being particularly good compared to others. I think it may be part of why the Maintenance was changed to 5000 instead of 7500, their own oil would BARELY last 7500.

#28 ·
Both Group IV & V are full synthetic. Group IV is PAO and Group V is ester. Group III is synthetic blend.

#24 ·
I go with the Mobile 1 Extended Performance Full Synthetic most of the time at about $27 for 5 quarts at Walmart. The Non Extended Performance which is not all true synthetic but is still called Synthetic is $2 - $3 less for 5 quarts, not much difference. Pep-boys and most auto parts stores charge much more. The AMSOIL was about $50 so that's almost double, and since I'm not going to run it longer then the recommended interval for now it seems like a waste. No way I'm paying $75 for that Nissan oil!

#26 ·
I go with the Mobile 1 Extended Performance Full Synthetic most of the time at about $27 for 5 quarts at Walmart. The Non Extended Performance which is not all true synthetic but is still called Synthetic is $2 - $3 less for 5 quarts, not much difference.
Where did you find this info about the regular Mobil 1?

#25 ·
just did my oil change yesterday
Mobile 1 Extended Performance Full Synthetic 0w-20 @ walmart 25.00 plus tax
Mobile 1 oil filter M1-108 @ autozone 12.99

#29 ·
I'm not sure going to 0-20W is worth it. You probably won't notice that much difference.

#30 · (Edited)
Mobil 1 Extended Performance (true) full synthetic
This is what I used (exclusively) in my 2k Maxima until it died (at 260,000 miles). It is what I am using in both of our family Altimas. It has a 15k mile wear, but I change at ~7500 miles. I also use "extended wear" filters (mobil 1, bosch, even the "high end" Fram). I haven't changed oil at a 3000 mile interval since I went to synthetics over 20 years ago (Mobile 1 synthetic in my 1993 Honda Civic).

A attribute regular oil changes of M1 EP to be a contributing factor to why my cars have lasted so long over the last 20 years (three cars in a row with no major breakdown... ever... in over 500k miles of driving).

#33 ·
If your using the mobil 1 0w 20 advanced fuel economy how often should you change the oil? I'm a little over 5000 miles now and trying to figure if I want to pay the 47 bucks to do it tomorrow or wait a little longer

#34 ·
The oil will last 7500 miles. It just depends on how closely you want to follow the manual.

I am using the same oil with a Nissan filter and plan to change every 7500.

#39 ·
Instill stands by my 89oct and 0-20 in my 2.5l. I get an average of 29.8 with heavy city commute and when I hit the turnpike I have seen my dash read over 45mpg.

I travel about 1000 miles a month

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.