DIY Rear Wheel Bearings/Hub for 2003 Altima - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-06-2009, 01:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
DIY Rear Wheel Bearings/Hub for 2003 Altima

Just did mine today, figured I'd document it in case anyone else was going to do the project. If you can do brakes, the rear hub assemble is easy.

Hardest part is getting the rotors off

With just regular hand tools (no air wrench) it took me about 45 minutes to do the first side, and about 35 minutes for the other side, from the time I loosened the first lug nut until the time I had the last one tightened.

**NOTE** My car does not have ABS. IF yours does, I believe you have to remove and set aside the sensor for the ABS wheel unit, maybe someone else can chime in on that.

You will need:
#17 and #19 socket, and a ratchet **NOTE** Get 6-point sockets if you can, rather than the usual 12-point ones. I got a set of metric ones at Sears for about 10 bucks, well worth it, especially then trying to get a bolt off the back side of something, much less slippage, no stripped corners, no busted knuckles.
Lug Wrench
maybe some PB blaster
A wire coat hanger
Torque wrench would be nice
Two new rear hub/bearing assemblies (about $60 each, I got free shipping thru Amazon).

1) Slightly loosen your lugnuts, then jack up the car. Chock wheels in each direction on the other side, because you NOT going to be able to have the Parking Brake set.

2) Use a jack and a stand for safety! Remove the already-loose lug nuts and remove the wheel. DON'T SCRATCH YOUR ALLOYS!

3) Use your ratchet to remove the 2 19mm nuts that hold on the caliper: they are on the back of the caliper, but you can get to both without any special tools or extensions.

Once removed, you can set the caliper assembly on top of the aluminum suspension/steering unit, but use a wire that you wrap around the shock just to keep it secure while you are cranking and banging on the other stuff.

4) Remove the rotor, this is the hard part unless you have had yours off lately. Not enough room to give it a decent wack, I used a rubber mallet and on both sides I did not think I was making any progress, then is suddenly loosened up. So be patient.

5) Set the rotor aside, and now you get to remove the 4 17mm bolts that hold on the hub assembly from the rear. Don't worry, they are all accessible with regular tools and no extensions are really needed.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO DO ANYTHING TO THE E-BRAKE, it stays in place, so leave the cable alone, regardless of what you have read elsewhere! You will see why in a minute...

Here are two of the 4 bolts you have to loosen and remove

The other two are above the two you see there. On one side I had to use PB Blaster, the other side came out with no problem. Don't use PB Blaster until you have the rotor OFF, and don't get it near the E-brake shoes.

Once you have the 4 bolts off, the hub/bearing just basically falls out.
Not sure why it takes 5 lugs to hold the wheel to the hub, when the entire hub only has 4 bolts

Here is what things look like with the hub removed

Old/new hub unit

Install is easy, just reverse the steps, torque everything to 85lbs. Make sure the calipers have all the washers and clips in the right place when you put them back on, they tend to move around easily.

You should clean off the rotors with some Brakleen while you have them off, just to get your greasy fingerprints off them. I used it to blast off the crud from the E-Brake assembly as well.

This shows you why you do not need to mess with the E-brake assembly. The hubs come right out without touching it.

Good luck, don't forget to torque your lugs to 85 lbs and check them again in about 100 miles.

Usual disclaimers apply, don't attempt this if you are unsure of what you are doing, seek professional help, your mileage may vary!

Last edited by trooplewis; 10-09-2009 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Corrected price of bearings, $62 each
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trooplewis For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-06-2009, 01:34 AM

20 Inch Tire/Rims Fitment HELP!

Hey i am thinking about putting rims on my 2006 Altima but i have no idea if this setup would fit please help.
(Rims)20x8.5 Black Burn
+18mm Offset, 5.5" Backspace- 5/115

With 245/35/20 Tires
Ive searched but couldnt find anything
#3 Old 10-06-2009, 01:35 AM
Winner March 2010 NOTM

nice write up, looks easy enough!

#4 Old 10-06-2009, 01:40 AM
BURRRR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNowCryL8ter09 View Post
Hey i am thinking about putting rims on my 2006 Altima but i have no idea if this setup would fit please help.
(Rims)20x8.5 Black Burn

With 245/35/20 Tires
i doubt that'll fit without rubbing. that offset's too low.
#5 Old 10-06-2009, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNowCryL8ter09 View Post
(Rims)20x8.5 Black Burn

With 245/35/20 Tires
Why would you ask this question in this thread?

We have a wheel/suspension section specifically for that.

Nice write-up TroopLewis...
#6 Old 10-06-2009, 05:05 AM
I'm so old school

Good write-up. Pretty sure I may need this in the future with the miles racking up on my car. Thanks for this.

'03 Altima V6: totalled - R.I.P. - forever missed

07 Jeep GC SRT-8: debadged, Trufiber c/f hood, Volant CAI, Trinity, R1 rotors
Kenwood DNX9980HD - Audible Physics + US Amps being installed
#7 Old 10-06-2009, 07:54 AM

Now lets get a front hub replacement how-to (that should be fun, lol)
#8 Old 10-06-2009, 08:57 AM
Supra Fan/Altima Driver

I wish all of these DIY's and How-To's would get stickied....Or put in a separate How-To section....

Great write up! Thanks for contributing to the boards!

2006 Nissan Altima 2.5S Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_archer_69 View Post
I love women that are into cars. Unless they are ugly. Then I don't give a shit.
#9 Old 10-06-2009, 01:05 PM
It's the llama talking

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Very nice! Great job troop!

I'm with vsupra...A section called DIY.

05 3.5SE AT
Lightly modded
#10 Old 10-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Dave Matthews Enthusiast

I might be getting sick here...if I do, that'll be my project in the next few days-to make a thread full of the D.I.Y. My school is gay and locks us away if we get sick to keep the swine flu away......

18 x 8 350z wheels on 225/45R18 Yokohama YK520's -Eibach Pro-Kit -Magnaflow mufflers/no resonator -15% tint -S2 Grille -Momo shift knob -Injen CAI -12" Orion sub - NWP Vias Blockoff - V-LED Interior Swap - Bt2580 Footwell Lights - Bt2580 Under-hood Lights - Custom LED Tails

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200hpAltima View Post
Dont let me influence you when i say buy them. They are well worth the money. Trust me, im a Jew (i really am lol)
#11 Old 10-06-2009, 04:37 PM

(Thread Starter)
Replacing the rear bearings got rid of about 1/2 the road noise I was experiencing. I suspect at some point I will have to do the fronts as well.

There seems to be a debate on the fronts whether you can/should remove the bearings with a bearing puller on the car, or if you need to remove the steering knuckle and have them pressed out with a hydraulic press.
#12 Old 10-06-2009, 04:47 PM

FSM says to press out, but i think some people were able to get it out with a bearing puller, while on the car. By the way, forgot to give you props, good write up, and i agree, there does need to be a DIY section.....there so many DIY threads out there.
#13 Old 10-06-2009, 04:56 PM

i'm going to do my fronts soon but its nice that you did a writeup for the rears.

Performance: | AEM CAI | Magnaflow resonator-Stock pipes-Magnaflow 14862 muffler | XS Header
Cosmetics: | 35% tint | OEM sidesills | OEM splash guards | OEM Fogs | McCulloch 6k HIDS | Raptor 6k Fog HIDS | LEDS | BT footwell LED kit | BT underhood LED kit | SE-R tails | AT S2 grille | Debadged | Red calipers | DIY Blacked out headlights | RL BTD |
Wheels/Suspension: | 05/06 SE Alloys-Yoko Avid TRZ | RL FTSB | Stillen RSB | RL REL |
#14 Old 10-06-2009, 07:28 PM
FERRARI SLAYER

nice one troop...if only u did the fronts...(mine r goin bad...n im terrified of takin my car to a shop or dealer) lol

Gold 02' Altima 2.5

PERFORMANCE MODS. WHO CARES ABOUT THE REST RIGHT?:
Tsudo Catback
2J Racing Underdriven PS pulley
Lightweight crank pulley
Cut balance shaft chain
Custom SRI
2J Racing Intake Manifold
Stillen Header
Stillen Catless Midpipe
TB Bypass
Indexed NGK Iridiums

#15 Old 10-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Supra Fan/Altima Driver

Could you take a pic of the back of the old bearing? I'm just curious at how it looks. It would serve as a good reference if I break any of my studs on the rear....I broke a stud on my front right wheel. If I had known how to take it apart and replace then I wouldn't have spent the $80 to have the dealership do it.

2006 Nissan Altima 2.5S Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_archer_69 View Post
I love women that are into cars. Unless they are ugly. Then I don't give a shit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > F.A.Q 2002-2006

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode