#1 Old 07-22-2011, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
DIY: Wheel stud replacement (front)

Since I had two stripped wheel studs, I figured while I had the front end apart to replace my Axle, i would do a small writeup on how to replace the wheels studs.

First, get the car off the ground and well supported. Remove the wheel.

Remove the brake hose retaining clip. I used a flat head screwdriver, and with a slight tap from a hammer it pops right off.

remove the two large bolts in the back of the brake caliber bracket that secures the bracket to the hub. I think they were 19mm bolts.

Once removed, the caliper and bracket will slide off the rotor, then you can remove the rotor. Find a spot to hang the caliper securely so it's not hanging freely from the brake hose.

you should now see the hub assembly with the studs sticking out. Put the car in neutral, and spin the hub till the stud you are removing is lined up with the cut out in the back of the shield.

Once lined up, use a heavy hammer and pound out the stripped or broken stud. It may take a few hard wacks, and it should just pop out.

To install the new stud, insert it from the back through the hole, and get it as straight as possible. The easiest way for the DIYer to get it back through, is to use some thick washers and a Lug nut. I didn't have enough washers, so I used an open end wrench as well.

Once you have a tight fit, Put the car back in gear (locks the axle so it won't spin). make sure you have the parking brake on, and if possible a wheel chuck to prevent any possible rolling. Use a ratchet to tighten the lug nut down, and it will draw it through as it tightens down. Once the back of it is flush against the hub, you are done.

Then remove the lug nut and remove the washers. Repeat the process for any other studs that needs replacement.

PM me for Overlay or Projector Retrofits

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIZAMAN View Post

People who defend CVT are like people with ugly kids - they have no choice but to love them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-22-2011, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Nice.
Doing this yourself saves you $105 (or whatever your local dealer charges per hour) btw since that's what dealer will charge you for labor.

#3 Old 07-24-2011, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nice write up!!

-08 Altima 2.5s
-Injen SRI
-Stillen headers
-Stillen Cat Back Exhaust
-Stillen Pulley
-Stillen Hood Dampers
-Stillen Sway Bar
-Grounding Kit
-Leds Interior
-Painted Engine Cover & Misc
-15% Tint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > F.A.Q 2007-2012

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode