Replace Spark Plugs at 60k?? - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

NissanClub.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2003, 03:44 PM

Question Replace Spark Plugs at 60k??

Hello all,

I went to the dealer to get my 60k maintenance done and they asked me to change the spark plugs on my 1999 nissan altima with 62k miles on it. I am quoted at $145.00 to replace the existing spark plugs with new factory spark plugs.

Is it necessary to get the spark plugs done at 60k?

Please let me know what I should do.

Thanks
Altima Owner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2003, 03:53 PM

Yes, you should replace them.

I am fairly certain your car came with standard NGK copper plugs....BKR5E-11's to be exact. The 2000's or the 01's came with platinum plugs.

Plats don't burn as well as coppers, but the plats last longer. If you're not in it for performance, but rather reliabiliy, you could get some NGK platinums and not have to mess with them again for at least another 60,000 miles....

If you look to your right, on the screen, there is an add for Club Plug. A set of stock plugs might cost you $10 shipped to your house. You could also go to a local parts store and buy them...I have a problem finding NGK plugs at local stores, so I always order them. Platinums will cost a few dollars more...but not too much more. You could buy Bosch in a pinch, but the general opinion on here is to stick with NGK.

Then you'll need a socket wrench, a socket extension, and a spark plug socket....oh, and about 10 minutes of your life.

Remove the old plugs, do them one at a time if you're concerned about mixing up the spark plug boots, and then replace it with a fresh new one. They come pre gapped, so no work is needed there. Plugs torque to around 28 foot pounds. If you don't have a torque wrench, just tighten until they are snug. 28 ft/lbs is not a ton, so don't go wild. You're threading into aluminum remember.

When you're done, you should have a pocketfull of money you saved, and you can go back to the dealership and give them the finger.

Old 11-13-2003, 04:01 PM

Oh, and I get parts at cost at the dealership....4 stock plugs cost me a tad over $5, for my Maxima, same plugs one heat range lower.....

So they are COMPLETELY trying to rip you off.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:45 PM
Breu Meister

uhm, actually you torque the spark plugs from 14-20 ft lbs, and no more. I just checked the gaps on all my plugs last night and made sure they were all at .044 since my gauge only has that setting and not the .043 setting I thought it would not make that much of a difference. but my engine runs a little smoother now.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:49 PM

Sorry, I meant 18, not 28.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:33 PM

What are the ways to gap spark plugs? What's the best way to gap the plugs?

Oh an $145 to install some plugs is a complete rip-off. I wouldn't go back there if I was you.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:44 PM

With a $.99 gapping ring.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:26 PM

ya and for torqueing NGK says 18-21 for "gasket type alum blocks" and 7-14 for "taper type alum block" (back of NGK bkr5e-11 box)

V35 GTR
Old 11-20-2003, 01:28 PM

Is the performance that noticeable between the platinums and the coppers if you have a stock setup? I fully understand the life expectancy between them but will I notice a difference in the way it powers the car? I have a 99 Gle and I have nothing really upgraded under the hood.

Cardomain
http://members.cardomain.com/djredbrownie
Old 11-20-2003, 06:39 PM
X-Newbie

Thats not what the dealership told me. I went to get a tune up and I have 55,000 miles on my 1999 altima. They said the spark plugs are not ment to be changed untill the 100,000 tune up.
The Nissan dealership is a very reliable one, so I know they know what they are talking about
Old 11-20-2003, 06:42 PM

I thought only the 00 and up models were equipped with the platinum plugs all previous models were copper and were intended to be replaced every 60,000 miles or less depending on driving.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:43 PM

If your car came with plats, then technically you don't need to replace them until 100,000.

You make it sound like they warned you not to change them. You could swap out your plugs every day if you wanted. You're not going to hurt anything.....I used to change mine every 10,000 miles or so, sometimes sooner. Now I do it even more frequently with the turbo. Plugs cost around $6 a set, for coppers.

The whole reason plats exist is to extend the service life of the plugs. Yes, you might not have to mess with them until 100,000, but wouldn't you rather spend the couple dollars to help the ignition out, and maybe pick up a mpg or two?
Old 11-21-2003, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Peterson

Plats don't burn as well as coppers, but the plats last longer. If you're not in it for performance, but rather reliabiliy, you could get some NGK platinums and not have to mess with them again for at least another 60,000 miles....

Is that true? I thought the main reason to choose copper over platinum was that the tip on the platinum couldn't sink heat as well and could in some cases (such as turbo on an NA engine or turning up the boost) could result in the tip of the plug causing preignition.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:17 AM

One of the Jacobs Electronic techs I spoke with on the phone went into some shpeel about how the copper plugs will work much better than the plats, especially with an upgraded ignition, and I have heard from several people that the only reason plats are used is long term durability.

I could be wrong. I'm just going off what I have been told.

I only use NGK copper plugs.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:40 PM

Hey Peterson, I went to change out my plugs and when I lifted up the cap on the one there was oil in it. I got a turkey baster and drained it out as much as possible and shoved a cloth down there to soak up as much as I could but I was told that the seal is bad and needs replacing. I'm most going to do that first before I even think of putting the new plugs in. Do you have any polished covers or painted ones??? Also do they make rubber gaskets for our cars or just the other ones that need adhesive?
Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.