cleaning egr system. - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2004, 01:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cleaning egr system.

Hey guys,
I have been getting a lot of engine knock when I am accelerating since last week or so. Seems like when i'm getting them i'm accelerating little hard.
Before that, like a month ago, my cel light came on with code 34(knock sen.) and code 36 (egr).
So I asked the mechanic if he could check or clean the egr system.
He mentioned that they use a machine which cleans out the egr system with very strong chemicals to clean the egr system and it automatically removes the carbon deposits in there. He said the process last about 4-5 hours and it's done by a machine. But it will cost me around $150 (cdn.)
He also told me that before that try to use a higher octane fuel to see if the pinging goes away.

Do you guys know anything about what kind of process he's talking about? and how good it is at cleaning?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2004, 01:10 AM
Resident NICO Mod

Well, for the most part the EGR valve would have to be removed and cleaned with an intake cleaner and a brush. If you are knocking you could have excessive carbon build up on the tops of your pistons or just have incorrect ignition timing. I would upgrade fuel quality, have the timing set for starts then look at the EGR system if this doesn't correct the situation. If that doesn't correct the problem I would take the vehicle to a company that uses the BG Injector cleaning system which would also clean the piston tops.

1995 Nissan D21 Hardbody 4x2 5spd 2.4L.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:40 PM

Thanks for the reply Reverend D.
I've done the fuel injector cleaning service. I am not sure if it's the BG cleaning system.
They used a machine with some chemicals and ran it for an hour.
Car feels much smoother and shifts properly.

But I still i get the engine knock when i accelerate a bit fast.
I'll check the timing out soon somewhere else. I went to check my timing with the mechanic since I don't have a timing gun, but he said he has to hook it up to computer to check the proper timing, otherwise it won't be accurate. He said on these cars, the computer automatically controls the timing, and he's gonna charge me 50 bucks to hook it up to the computer.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:54 PM
Hit and Runs Suck

I'd stop going to that guy. Sounds like he's just trying to get as much money out of you as possible. Of course the computer adjusts the timing on the fly, but that doesn't mean that you can't see those changes with your normal timing light. As for the egr cleaning, just take it out yourself and clean it with some intake cleaner, like the reverend said. Also, as for the gas upgrade thing, ever see those chevron commercials. Well, it is true. Cheap gas will leave more deposits in your engine than the higher quality gasolines do. Use a more quality gas, and your car will be happier (no, i don't work for chevron )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Lion
but hey, I wouldn't get a body kit nowadays, I'd scrape it while racing.

My vB PicGallery
Jesus > *
Old 06-12-2004, 01:54 AM

allright guys,
I went to a different autoshop today. The mechanic checked my timing, it was at 28 degrees, and the stock supposed to be 18 i believe. Anyways, he tried to set it back to stock, but he mentioned he couldn't go lower than 22 because the distributor wasn't turning anymore.
The guy mentioned that the distributor might be faulty or the wrong one is in there for my car (95 altima se).
so it's now still set to 22 degrees.

He also took the egr valve out and cleaned it out, but he said it was already pretty clean.

anyways so now i'm still geting engine knock when i'm accelerating.
Actually now i'm getting way more than before. i can hear it a lot.

Is it the timing that's causing it?
Could you guys please help me? I'm a total newbie when it comes to cars.

Last edited by Rcrew; 06-12-2004 at 01:57 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:51 PM

Video on Cleaning EGR Valve on Nissan Altima 2001

DIY VIDEOS
Old 11-18-2011, 03:05 AM

sounds like a fuel mixture problem to me. your car is running lean, causing the Knock. The timing that you are seeing could be the computer compensating for the Knock. Check your codes, and also check your knock sensor to confirm it is in working order.

Put your distributor where it was before. adjusting the distributor is not going to fix this problem.

Run the highest grade gasoline possible to prevent the knock so you do not harm your motor.

I'm almost certain you just have a sensor bad. could be the knock sensor, O2, air intake temp, MAF.

Also check for vacuum leaks.

Im just throwing my ideas out there.

97 GXE Altima
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode