HELP! Water puddle in passenger side - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

NissanClub.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2004, 07:45 AM

Unhappy HELP! Water puddle in passenger side

First post.
Please Help...

My 1994 Nissan Altima GLE 81k miles is leaking water in the passenger side and flowed to the rear. The whole carpet under the passender seat soaked and so is the rear. It was raining furious here in NY for about an hour from the left overs of Frances. The water was 2" high on the floor mats in the rear. This the first time this has happened. I used a cloth and cleared out some of the water. It was like rust color and rust smell. Anyone think it is the evaporator lines? Are they easy to check?

I would greatly appreciate your insight as to what the problem may be and how it could be fixed.

thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2004, 07:02 PM
DIY User

hey, sorry to hear that, my car was the same, but ont he drivers side... mine was becasue of holes in the floor board.... under the carpet is about an inch to an inch and a half of foam, this foam sucks up all the water,a nd because the rear is lower than the frontit probably all goes back there and levels itsself with the front.... so pull up the carpet, and see wahts going on... if you have holes they are in the front, just get plates welded in, or pop rivit plates and seal with rtv sealant or body filler or something., if they are small enough body filler will work

91 Infiniti G20
94 Nissan Sentra SE-R
Old 09-12-2004, 01:03 AM
Altimaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocoastmusic
mine was becasue of holes in the floor board....
I don't understand. How can holes in your floorboard cause water to stay. If anything, wouldn't this cause the water to drain?

I have had this problem too...It is just my pass side though. Do I have a hole in my floor too?
John 10:10
Old 09-12-2004, 01:27 AM

Well my car was parked in my back yard and it was sloped up a tad bit. I felt the carpeting around the sidewalls of the floor and they were dry. So I am thinking that something over flooded and over spilled into the cabin floor area or even thru the speakers. Anyone else have this issue and found a solution.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:18 AM
Altimaboy

I have the exact same problem. It has happen to me twice. I vacuumed it up, I thought I had left the windows cracked or something.

So let me get this thing right...There is holes in the floor board. So they have water coming in from them...How? I park in my driveway, and it has a little slope to it. I have never noticed water in the rear. It only happens when it rains a lot.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:29 AM

I am going to take out the passenger seat and carpet too and see whats causing this. The bump or frame right beginning of the passenger seat is dry but I put my hand after that, under the passenger seat and the whole floor was soaked. There was so much water that it flowed to the rear. I also noticed rust stains right under the T-bar so i will also take a look at that.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:19 AM
Altimaboy

the floor is the only thing that is wet in my car. The sides, and directly under the dash is dry. It is in the middle of the floor pan. Also I wonder why it doesn't happen when I wash my car. I wash about 3 times a week.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:36 AM
"Respect My Authoritei"

Heater Core leaking will cause this. Normally located right against the firewall on the inside of the cabin.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:47 AM
Altimaboy

but it is not coolant, it is water. It is clear. Also, why is it only in the middle of the floor pan? Plus, most of the time the heater core leaks on the drivers side.

Last edited by SexyGXE; 09-12-2004 at 03:49 AM.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:24 AM
DIY User

my water got in from driving... the front wheels spin towarsds the cabin... where the holes are.... the foam absorbs all the water... the waters moves to the lowers spot.. the rear... i ahd like a galloin or two of water in all that floor foam... [not joking]

this is how mine was....

you could tell if water was comign from somewhere else from water marks or wetness...
Old 09-13-2004, 02:58 AM

So if the heater core leaked it was be coolant.

If you AC drain was clogged it could overflow into the passenger side (at least it does on other cars).

You could lose a grommet thing in the floor pan near the wheels and that could allow water to get splashed into the car.

Or it could be a normal leak.

If its a lot of water I would guess normal leak.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:28 PM
Q-Racing

From what I know when your heater core goes it doesn't leak coolant. It leaks water, I seen this before in a Maxima. The heater core went and the passenger side was soak with water. I also sort of had this problem in my '99 but it was on the driver side. There was water in the car only when it rained hard or I sprayed water directly where the hole on my door was. I had a dent on the top of the door which let the water in and the water ran down the door and then eventually into the car onto the floor.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:14 PM
Altimaboy

I want to know where to look for this hole in the floorpan. My problem doesn't occure when I an driving, just when It has been sitting in the driveway while raining.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:32 PM
Altimaboy

It did it, it did it! While I was driving! It happened yesterday. I think I know where it is coming in at. Not sure what it is called, but yall know that piece by the door, and the dash. I saw a little stream of water. My floor is soaked. Now how do I fix it? I know it is somewhere behind it, but where?
Old 09-15-2004, 03:02 PM
Altimaboy

It is soaked! I took the passenger side floor area apart and my floor pan is wet. The sound deadning material, and the carpet is soaked. The water is coming in when I drive, I figured that out. I also figured out that it isn't comingfrom that piece by the door, and the dash. I have pictures, but I can't upload them to my vbgarage. I have looked in the haynes manual, and the FSM, and there is nothing about this. Someone please comment on what to do about this problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.