LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-28-2004, 04:30 PM
Chillin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Transmission Fluid Leaking

I was racing my friend on a road with alot of short but hard grade inclines. I was doing about 60mph and hit one of the inclines that almost would shoot you straight up. I got around 3 feet off the ground, hit, bottomed out, looked in rear view mirror....lots of sparks on the ground. Then i went to 7/11 for a drink. I stayed there for about 10 minutes. After that i left and had to go home. On the way home i noticed that it felt like my car wasn't staying in gear and was slipping into neutral. I got to my house, parked the car (still confused) and went inside and told my dad. We looked at it but didn't notice anything. Later that night i went outside and there is tranny fluid all over the driveway. Now i gotta get my car towed to my garage to have them fix it. THIS SUCKS...... how much you think it will cost to fix the leak?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-28-2004, 05:31 PM
No more Alti :(

Car model? Year? AT or MT?
Btw.. nice work

Mods... None yet!
Future KA-T Project!
Project Altima 1998 - Cancelled & SOLD 29-08-2005!
#3 Old 11-28-2004, 05:37 PM
Rockin the Le Bra

hahahahahahahaha...youve been watching too much movies hitting inclines at 60 and going 3 feet off the road. u know youre going to mess something up in the family sedan that is the altima once u land on the road again. anyway, they gotta find the leak first. did u check the pan for damage?

The alty is no more

icy day in austin...
#4 Old 11-28-2004, 05:38 PM
Captain Obvious!

let me start off with

as to how much damage and how much it will cost would depend on if your car is a MT or AT.....from there it varies depending on the broken components.......and if you do end up fixing it, i`d suggest not to do that again! I mean, you could of seriousely hurt or even killed yourself (or worse, someone else) if your wheel was turned EVEN A BIT...anyway, i'll leave the flamming up to the pros

#5 Old 11-28-2004, 10:29 PM
Altimaboy

Maybe you will be lucky and its only a pan leak. I do hope that after all this, that you did WIN the race! Did you? Most of us race on the ground.

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
-
John 10:10
#6 Old 11-29-2004, 12:13 AM
Chillin

(Thread Starter)
The car i got is a 95 Altima gxe with auto transmission. Yes i did win the race, my friend has a 98 mustang...its the 6 cylinder. i beat him all the time. I am hoping its an easy fix. I poured some tranny fluid into it today to see where the leak was and it just goes down the tube and comes out a small hole near right below where you put it in. I really hope it doesn't cost that must to fix.........
#7 Old 11-29-2004, 02:02 AM
Resistance is futile

Get a pan at a junkyard and fix it yourself.

This page left intentionally blank - like your head.
#8 Old 11-29-2004, 04:13 PM
Chillin

(Thread Starter)
It goes into the shop today, hopefully it is just the pan and not anything else. I think it is because right after my tranny was perfectly normal and didn't start acting up until I lost the fluid.
#9 Old 11-29-2004, 04:35 PM
the newb

this is what happens when you go fast and get airborn/lose control.

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=177612
#10 Old 11-29-2004, 04:55 PM
Banned

Almost similar thing happened to me. I was going 10-15 mph on a parking lot and there was a 1 foot 6 inches drop it was dark and i didnt see it. My front end bottomed out i scrapped pretty hard. I got out of the car didnt see any fluid leaking so im like its kool fine. I saw that my hs header pipe was bent but iwas like **** it when i get home tranny fluid warmed up and start to leak. SO i scraped the tranny pan there was about a hole of a pebble. So the next day i open up my hood i see my tranny hanging i broke my tranny motor mount. From the time my car just doesnt feel the same anymore. I Remember when i bottomed the gas pedal to the floor on a light it actually made a squeek like it wanted to burn out. Now when i do that it chokes lol...
#11 Old 11-29-2004, 07:47 PM
Chillin

(Thread Starter)
Ya i have the size of a pebble hole in the pan so i think its just the pan.....hopefully. If I messed anything up with the tranny that will cost more than $500 to fix...gonna suck cause my dad won't pay it.....and i want my altima back. lol.
#12 Old 11-29-2004, 09:26 PM
donor cycle

i quit counting at 5 tranny pans how many i destroyed in my 95. I carry the jb weld quick dry in the car for such occasions. for anyone else this happens to, don't pay the stealership or a mechanic to fix it. it is seriously only a 20 minute job at the most. It typically takes me longer to jack the car up and put fluid in it than it does to actually change the pan. I wouldn't pay more than 50 dollars for a new pan either.

05 SRT-10
66 Charger w/ 36k og miles
69 Superbee clone
65 Chevy C-10
87 325 BMW
#13 Old 11-30-2004, 12:15 AM
Chillin

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the advice Rick. I might just do it myself and figure it out. don't you just take the old one off (with is only 4 bolts) and then screw the new one back on? Is their any parts underneath that i have to worry about falling down or anything?
#14 Old 11-30-2004, 12:29 AM
Speaker of the Dead

^^There are a couple of things to be aware of. 1. There is a boat load of bolts and they are not all the same length, get'em all back where they came from. 2. Most gasket kits come with the filter it's an easy change. 3. There are 2 magnets in the bottom of the original pan make sure to transfer them over to the new pan. (I didn't realize this until after I installed the new pan.) And as easy at it is trust me you don't want to do it twice. 4. Do not over fill the tranny with fluid when you are done. Mine took about 4 quarts. Good luck & PEACE

The one thing I've learned from riding & racing bicycles is "That you never ever want to use your face as a brake."
#15 Old 11-30-2004, 02:55 PM
Chillin

(Thread Starter)
Thanks. I was looking at it yesterday and just decided to have it brought to the shop since my dad said he would pay for it anyways. Just sucks that it goes into the shop on friday and I won't have a car for another week and a half. Thanks for the advice though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode