LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-21-2004, 03:56 AM
SE Wannabee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Valve Cover leak?

I noticed a long time ago maybe 6 months that I have oil in the farthest to the left spark plug well and not in any others. Theres still oil in there but not much, it hasnt gotten on the spark contacts I dont think. I usually stick a rag down there and soak up the oil. Pretty sure its a valve cover leak, just want to know if its a crucial thing. Am I going to do any damage to the engine if I dont replace the gasket? Could it cause misfires? I just had a new set of wires put on as well, havent changed the spark plugs though. Is it fairly simple to replace? Im just worried I wont seal it correctly and cause more leaks. I have a 95, 110k miles.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan 5AT
1995 Nissan Altima GXE 4AT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-22-2004, 03:24 AM

How exactly do you check to see if there's oil in there? Do you just remove the spark plug wire and put a rag in there or do you have to remove the spark plug as well?
#3 Old 12-22-2004, 03:27 AM
SE Wannabee

(Thread Starter)
just removed the wire but left the plug in I never removed the plugs. Dropped a cloth down in the small hole and soaked up the oil, there wasnt much, im just wondering if it can damage my engine if i dont change the gasket.

#4 Old 12-22-2004, 05:02 AM

Oil on the plugs is never good in general, but a leaky valve cover can also cause other problems in how the car runs. With enough of a leak you can suffer the symptoms of a vacuum leak which will rob you of power. It's a fairly quick and simple job to do.

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX 5-door -- 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon (Stage 2) GONE -- 1998 Subaru Legacy GT

Altima Parts. Buy them or die.
#5 Old 12-22-2004, 05:38 AM

Yeah, it will not cause immediate problems, but it can lead to comlications later down the line. If there is oil on the plugs, it can result in the spark plug not fully sparking, thus less detonation, less gas mileage, etc. Also, you are losing oil to that leak, so you need to monitor your oil level. It is really easy to replace, only takes about 30 minutes.
#6 Old 12-22-2004, 08:01 AM
See ya

if its the valve cover, it very easy to fix....undo the valve cover and change the gasket. There is also another gasket for the spark plugs...change it at the same time. It should cost you like $20 to get the two gaskets from the dealer.
#7 Old 12-22-2004, 04:07 PM

don't forget to buy a tube of clear rtv silicone to place a protective seal over the gasket so it doesn't leak.

stelios
used to own '97 altima
#8 Old 12-22-2004, 06:09 PM
EAT IT

so i've read that it's a simple diy project, but i've "heard" that it's more complicated than just removing screws around the valve cover? is that just for some other cars? i was told that after you take the valve cover off, that there are other components under there that are just standing up ( like springs or something) and it has to be set back on there just right? or maybe i'm talking about something else is the head gasket under the valve cover?

finally complete:
auto to manual swap/valve cover powder coated red/ACT SS clutch + 240sx Fidanza flywheel/b&m short shifter with an 03 Altima oem shift knob/JWT S1 cams/SWA pulley/ebay wai/obx 4-2-1 header/greddy catback exhaust/eibach pro kit springs/kyb gr2 struts
#9 Old 12-22-2004, 06:10 PM
EAT IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemaster
don't forget to buy a tube of clear rtv silicone to place a protective seal over the gasket so it doesn't leak.
would it not be better to use a red (high temp) silicone?

finally complete:
auto to manual swap/valve cover powder coated red/ACT SS clutch + 240sx Fidanza flywheel/b&m short shifter with an 03 Altima oem shift knob/JWT S1 cams/SWA pulley/ebay wai/obx 4-2-1 header/greddy catback exhaust/eibach pro kit springs/kyb gr2 struts
#10 Old 12-22-2004, 07:54 PM

if the left most plug has oil on it the most likely cause is oil being spilled while filling the car with oil. Do you do the oil changes or does the quick lube joint do them?

Brian G.
'95 GXE [Totaled]
'00 GXE [Sold]
'02 SE [Sold]
'10 Xterra S
'14 3.5 S
#11 Old 12-22-2004, 08:59 PM
Are You In That Mood Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri4404
if the left most plug has oil on it the most likely cause is oil being spilled while filling the car with oil. Do you do the oil changes or does the quick lube joint do them?
Hey my left most plug has oil and the 2nd plug also has some oil in it. The last two plugs dont have any oil.

Is this a bad thing? If so, what do I have to do?

#12 Old 12-22-2004, 11:08 PM
SE Wannabee

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri4404
i thought of that when I first noticed it, but Ive done all my own oil changes since i bought the car at 90K, and i dont ever remember spilling any oil out of the 7 or so times Ive changed it.

#13 Old 12-22-2004, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADIOGUY21
i thought of that when I first noticed it, but Ive done all my own oil changes since i bought the car at 90K, and i dont ever remember spilling any oil out of the 7 or so times Ive changed it.
perhaps the former owner spill in there before you?

the 2 used Alts that i have owned both had oil there and i have always attributed it to clumsy oil filling...the cap is too close to that #1 spark plug hole.

Brian G.
'95 GXE [Totaled]
'00 GXE [Sold]
'02 SE [Sold]
'10 Xterra S
'14 3.5 S
#14 Old 12-23-2004, 12:34 AM

its probably not the valve cover gasket. its the gasket that goes under the valve cover, to seal the spark plug wells.
its an easy fix. you need the gasket for the spark plug wells, and a tube of rtv gasket maker. pull the valve cover and clean all the old gasket material off it. replace the spark plug gasket, then new rtv to seal the valve cover. half an hour should do it.
#15 Old 12-23-2004, 01:38 AM
Breu Meister

uhh you must replace the valve cover gasket any time you remove the valve unless the gasket has just been put in their recently (like within a week). besides im sure they don't sell just the spark plug well gasket; they sell both as a set. should take you no longer than 15 minutes.

R.I.P. 2000 altima SE
Hello...
2003 Majestic Blue 6 speed maxima
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode