how to replace knock sensor? - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-08-2005, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
how to replace knock sensor?

car is 97 nissan altima gxe, 2.4. I got the knock sensor (BOSCH) online. Took it to a Meineke to get it installed. The guy there said replacing it may do some damage to a pipe underneathe because there is minor antifreeze leakeage now. He then give me a quote of over $400 to replace that pipe. I have a feeling that he is just getting me ready for some work unnecessary.

Can someone give me a brief overview of the steps to replace the knock sensor on this car? I will see if I can get it done myself. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-08-2005, 05:15 PM
2nd gen slayer :)

jack up teh car. place jack stands. on rear of engine from below its right under the intake manifold. i hope you have small hands because it was easy to take out(disconnect plug, 1 12mm bolt) but going in was hard i could only get one hand in there trying to hold the sensor and the bolt

#3 Old 03-08-2005, 09:48 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoa353
jack up teh car. place jack stands. on rear of engine from below its right under the intake manifold. i hope you have small hands because it was easy to take out(disconnect plug, 1 12mm bolt) but going in was hard i could only get one hand in there trying to hold the sensor and the bolt

So why is this guy at Meineke telling me that he has to take out a few pipes to remove the old KS? Is there any machanic around NYC/Jersey City who isn't crooked ?
#4 Old 03-09-2005, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoner
So why is this guy at Meineke telling me that he has to take out a few pipes to remove the old KS? Is there any machanic around NYC/Jersey City who isn't crooked ?
I'd take a look under the car first. After seeing it you just might want to take the pipe out... And guy at Meineke gave you the lower estimate, nissan would want to take out the entire intake manifold, which is a bit more than what he quoted you.

UltimaSE
#5 Old 03-09-2005, 02:05 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimaSE
I'd take a look under the car first. After seeing it you just might want to take the pipe out... And guy at Meineke gave you the lower estimate, nissan would want to take out the entire intake manifold, which is a bit more than what he quoted you.

UltimaSE
Well the Meineke guy is saying removing the pipe may damage it to the level that he has to replace it. And to replace that pipe, he will take out the entire intake manifold, and charge over $400 for it. This is on top of what he will charge me for replacing the KS and I bought the KS myself. Overall, he is talking about $700 total cost for replacing the damn KS.

Anyone can hook me up to a place around Jersey City to pass me the state inspection without replacing that damn KS?
#6 Old 03-09-2005, 05:39 PM

Yes, they will have to take out the exhaust pipe to have access to the knock sensor. I tried it myself with my '96 altima GXE and found it very hard lying down. I brought it to a shop with a lifter and they charged me only $70.00 + $30.00 tip. They are located at Lodi, NJ.
#7 Old 03-09-2005, 07:34 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by filwayusa
Yes, they will have to take out the exhaust pipe to have access to the knock sensor. I tried it myself with my '96 altima GXE and found it very hard lying down. I brought it to a shop with a lifter and they charged me only $70.00 + $30.00 tip. They are located at Lodi, NJ.

Can you tell me why you replaced the KS? Trouble with state inspection?
#8 Old 03-11-2005, 04:10 AM

Yes, OBD not communicating and the shop people presumed that my knock sensor should be changed and noted in their invoice that I declined their services except for the electrical works. Although it was only an electrical problem, I must change it so that DMV would reconsider re-inspection.
#9 Old 03-11-2005, 01:17 PM

How much was the sensor?
#10 Old 03-11-2005, 03:36 PM

Knock sensors prices for an altima '96 and other models would range from $125.00 to 165.00. Just sold my spare, brand new and unused, in Ebay for $85.00 + shipping and handling.
#11 Old 03-11-2005, 05:04 PM

Screw getting under the car, ive been through this for the last 4 months with mine. If you are going to replace it(its not needed, even if its bad it doesnt effect the drivability) the easiest way is just to bite it and remove the intake, plus there is a bright side.While youve got the intake off you can put a new gasket on there. This is the easiest way ive found to replace this BS sensor.
#12 Old 08-07-2005, 03:09 PM

Seems to be some yes and some no.
Can the knock sensor be changed by just running the car up on some ramps and crawling under without taking the manifold etc apart?
Has anyone actually done it?
Has anyone tried and not been able to?

Thanks
Ken
'95 Altima
#13 Old 08-07-2005, 11:25 PM

Canoner,

The knock sensor went out on my 97 GXE a month ago. I was getting the 0304 code on the ECU.

I went under the car to chack it out; the sensor tested infinite ohms (shorted), so I knew it was bad. As for replacing it though, one would have to be Plasticman to reach in there and get that sensor without AT LEAST removing the header/cat.

Also, I am too cheap to buy an (arguably) unnecessary part for darn near $100.

What I did was:
1) Disconnect the two-wire pigtail that leads to the KS from the harness; not right ON the sensor, but the connector maybe 4-6 inches away from it.
2) Jam a 470 k-ohm resistor into the harness socket, across the two leads.
3) Tape over the sensor and seal it real good with electrical tape.

Total cost: $0.99 at Radio Shack (already had the tape).

The knock sensor is supposed to test at a resistance around 500 k-ohms. This fix "tricks" the ECU into thinking that you have a functioning knock sensor that simply never sees any knocking. My 0304 code went away and has not reappeared for 4 weeks now.

If you do this, don't use crap gas or you might get some actual knocking...at the very least, this could be a temporary fix that will get you past the ECU emissions deal.
#14 Old 08-08-2005, 12:49 AM

I put the car on my ramps today and had a look.
You'd have to have some pretty spindley arms to get at the thing.
I didn't think I'd even be able to get at the connector to pull it off.
Even if I could I didn't see how I could get my multimeter probes in there to take a measurement. Maybe if the car was on a hoist.
#15 Old 08-08-2005, 01:53 AM
The Dude

If you choose to do it yourself, I'd suggest getting a 12mm gear wrench.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode