97 altima; AT; ATF fluid filter change - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-30-2005, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
97 altima; AT; ATF fluid filter change

According to the NAPA site, in order to change my ATF fluid filter, I must remove the valve body.

This can't be true, can it? Isn't the filter just bolted to the BOTTOM of the valve body like on every other car I've ever seen? All I need to do to access it is to remove the pan, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-30-2005, 10:05 PM

IIRC, on Nissan and some other trannies, the filter is basically internal. There is a magnetic pickup that can be cleaned of any metal shavings I believe, but no, you cannot change the filter like on most domestics...

My '93 auto has 203k miles now and the fluid's never been changed. I don't plan on it either. It still shifts great and the fluid is still brand new looking. I must say, someone was a happy worker when they put together my Altima/Stanza (still has the sticker on the trunk)...it was actually built in '92...

Jeremy
#3 Old 06-30-2005, 11:00 PM
hard on equipment

There's no filter. It's a screen and if I recall you would have to remove the valve body to get to it. When I rebuilt my valve body I cleaned mine - but it was pretty clean to begin with.
#4 Old 07-03-2005, 02:56 PM

negative, you do not have to remove anything other than the pan to get to the filter/wire screen. I just changed mine recently. didnt really need to be replaced but i had to replace the gasket on the pan and since the gasket and filter come as a set, i figured 'what the hell?'
#5 Old 07-03-2005, 05:16 PM
hard on equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95alt1ma
negative, you do not have to remove anything other than the pan to get to the filter/wire screen. I just changed mine recently. didnt really need to be replaced but i had to replace the gasket on the pan and since the gasket and filter come as a set, i figured 'what the hell?'
It's been a while since I played with that thing. I couldn't remember where in the whole assembly that screen was.
#6 Old 07-03-2005, 05:53 PM
Breu Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95alt1ma
100% correct. I recommend buying 12 quarts of ATF mobil 1 drain/refill. drive 100 miles, drain/refill again. then do it two more times within 500 miles. after that is done drain/refill your entire coolant system and you will get better gas mileage.

R.I.P. 2000 altima SE
Hello...
2003 Majestic Blue 6 speed maxima
#7 Old 07-04-2005, 08:53 AM

one thing that needs to be stressed if you change the filter is not to mix up the bolts that hold it on. theres probably a dozen of them and they are four or five different sizes. what i did was when i took one out, i would slide it through the corresponding bolt hole on the new filter to keep them in the right order. then when i got the old filter off, i moved the bolts from the new filter to the same holes on the old filter. when i had the new one in place i could just take them out of the holes on the old piece one by one to make sure i didnt mix them up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode