Replacing rear engine mount - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-07-2006, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Replacing rear engine mount

I've had my '98 Altima since '99 and it's a great car. It's got 165K and so far, it's been running great. I'm fairly new to working on cars, and have done just a few simple maintenance jobs myself. I replaced the front engine mount and that got rid of this creaking noise when I would accelerate and brake for about a week. The creaking noise is now back! But I'm at a loss as to how to get to the rear engine mount. Does anyone know how to do this? Would it be better for me to have a mechanic do it?

Thanks. This forum is a great find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-07-2006, 10:16 PM

You have to take off the crossmember. I did this when I put in my motor mount inserts. Jack up the car and then put it on jackstands. Then, put the jack under the engine/tranny and jack it up slightly to relieve pressure. To remove the bolt going thru the motor mount, either reach thru your engine or from under the car and remove it. Then, take off the crossmember. There are two big bolts on the front of the crossmember and three ones in the back. I don't remember what the fronts were but they are either 14 or 17 mm and the backs were 17 mm deep sockets. Once you have it off, you can remove the mount from it. Reinstall everything in reverse order.

-'99 5-speed Altima
Performance Mods: Hotshot CAI; Stillen 4-1 Header; OBX Catback Exhaust - Hiroshima Style; Vibrant Front Strut Tower Bar; S.T. Rear Anti-Sway Bar; Taz's Motor Mount Inserts
Audio Mods: Pioneer Head Unit; 4x60 watt Infinity 6200i 2-ways; Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 sub w/ Kenwood Amp

-1990 300ZX 2+2
Mods: Intake, headers, lightweight flywheel, RPS sport clutch, lightweight drive shaft, ECU, JWT S1 Cams, anti-sway bars, short shifter...203 rwHP
#3 Old 03-08-2006, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtshrkmd
I've had my '98 Altima since '99 and it's a great car. It's got 165K and so far, it's been running great. I'm fairly new to working on cars, and have done just a few simple maintenance jobs myself. I replaced the front engine mount and that got rid of this creaking noise when I would accelerate and brake for about a week. The creaking noise is now back! But I'm at a loss as to how to get to the rear engine mount. Does anyone know how to do this? Would it be better for me to have a mechanic do it?

Thanks. This forum is a great find.
if you take it to a mechanic they can have it done in a matter minutes...while ur at it, i would get racingline motor mount inserts put in...help with the shifting with minimal idle vibrations...

#4 Old 03-08-2006, 02:09 AM

Taz's motor mount inserts work very well too. That's what I've got and they are great. Definetly worth the $40.

-'99 5-speed Altima
Performance Mods: Hotshot CAI; Stillen 4-1 Header; OBX Catback Exhaust - Hiroshima Style; Vibrant Front Strut Tower Bar; S.T. Rear Anti-Sway Bar; Taz's Motor Mount Inserts
Audio Mods: Pioneer Head Unit; 4x60 watt Infinity 6200i 2-ways; Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 sub w/ Kenwood Amp

-1990 300ZX 2+2
Mods: Intake, headers, lightweight flywheel, RPS sport clutch, lightweight drive shaft, ECU, JWT S1 Cams, anti-sway bars, short shifter...203 rwHP
#5 Old 03-08-2006, 12:40 PM

If you put a jack under the motor, be sure to put a wood block on the jack to spread the pressure out some. You might get by without it, but I wouldn't take the chance with the motor.

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX 5-door -- 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon (Stage 2) GONE -- 1998 Subaru Legacy GT

Altima Parts. Buy them or die.
#6 Old 03-08-2006, 03:41 PM
Nissan Altima 1993...

i'll take it to the shop to get it done it will save u time and if anything u have someone to blem....

Once You Live By The Sword, You Only Die By The Sword.
#7 Old 03-08-2006, 03:51 PM

I'll add to this... be careful when you lower the crossmember that you're either out of the way, or you lower it slowly. It is not light, and will hurt if you drop it, full force, on to your head. Trust me on that one.

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX 5-door -- 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon (Stage 2) GONE -- 1998 Subaru Legacy GT

#8 Old 03-08-2006, 05:13 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for helping this noob out! Looks like this is a project I can handle. I placed the jack under the oil pan with some wood in between when I changed the front mount. Is that the best place if I'm going to be using it to completely support the engine?
#9 Old 03-08-2006, 07:36 PM

That'll work fine. It's what I did.

#10 Old 03-09-2006, 03:52 AM
Nissan Altima 1993...

Good Luck

Once You Live By The Sword, You Only Die By The Sword.
#11 Old 03-09-2006, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulski
I'll add to this... be careful when you lower the crossmember that you're either out of the way, or you lower it slowly. It is not light, and will hurt if you drop it, full force, on to your head. Trust me on that one.
It nearly hit my head when my brother was supposed to be supporting it as i removed the final bolts but of course, he was a lazy **** and I barely avoided it, making it hit my shoulder. Pretty damn heavy. Putting it back in can be a pain too if you do it alone. I balanced it on my knees and using my elbows to steady it while retightening the bolts.

-'99 5-speed Altima

-1990 300ZX 2+2
#12 Old 03-09-2006, 11:57 AM

I was working solo, and it smacked me right in the forehead. Last bolt came off and it didn't drop. If it had, I would've been fine. Instead, while I was wiggling it to have it drop, I happened to move under it just as it let go.

#13 Old 03-09-2006, 07:51 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all the input. I'm planning on doing it alone this weekend. When I did the front mount, I couldn't get the new mount to sit right, and it took my brother putting all of his weight on it one one side with a screwdriver while I got the throughbolt in. If I'd been by myself, I couldn't have done it. The clasp that attaches to the engine just wasn't playing nice. If I have that problem on the rear mount, I'll be screwed.
#14 Old 03-10-2006, 11:52 AM

I also had that problem with the front. The rear went in fine.

To add to my beating myself up story, we tied something around the mount and pulled from up top to pry it into place. Of course, we were dumb and used twine for this, which broke, causing me to punch myself in the face.

By far the most painful install process I've had, that easily could've gone far better.

#15 Old 03-10-2006, 10:43 PM

(Thread Starter)
Success! Thanks for your suggestions. Incidentally, how much do you think that would have cost me to have a mechanic do both the front and rear mounts?

I had a hard time getting the throughbolts out until I loosened the crossmember bolts. Once I did that, they came out pretty easily. And getting the bolts through the new mounts was easy, even the front one that gave me trouble the first time. I guess when they're worn out, they're much harder to deal with.

Now, let's hope this takes care of the creaking noise I've been hearing from my engine!

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode