Drive Side Windshield Wiper Not Working - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-20-2006, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Drive Side Windshield Wiper Not Working

Turned on the wipers this morning and the drivers side is not working. The windshield had frost on it so my guess is it was frozen to the glass. Any thoughts on where to look for the problem and how to go about the repair?

Also, on a different issue - my drivers side window is not working. I checked the switch and have power so my guess is the motor has kicked the bucket. How hard is it to replace the window motor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Chicken 'N' Tators Kid!!

I had the same problem about a month ago except I lost it on both sides....There are 2 metal "arms" that connect the wiper assembly, 1 from the motor to the Passenger side wiper and 1 from the passenger side wiper to the driver side.....They are kinda cheap looking to me but they just pop on....All it is is a metal bar with 2 plastic connectors on either side....

It only cost me $14 Canadian for the part at the dealer and about 20 mins in my drive way....

So all you need is the one from the Passenger side to the driver side (Mine isn't the best either), and all you have to do is pop the hood and take off the black plastic guard thing at the bottom of your windsheild and you will see the 2 bars and if i'm right the one on the driver side will be unhooked.....You may be able to hook it back up but the plastic connecters wear from being on the car so long.....Best bet to avoid trouble in the future is to just pay $10-$20 for the bar and then you don't have to worry about it coming off anymore.

1996 Altima GXE
18" Ikon Vision's
APC Racing Seats
Infinity System
5% Tint All Around
Custom Short Throw Shifter
#3 Old 11-21-2006, 07:28 PM

I had the same problem like that before. My wiper got stuck because of the frost in my windshield when I accidentally turned on my wiper. Boom….. The Wiper linkage broke!

The Bad News is you can’t get that wiper linkage in any auto shop, you can only get it on a Dealership or a Junkshop.

The Good News is you can fix it with out even going to anyone of those places, like what I did. Here how I fix mine

1st. Drive down the nearest office supply store(staples, office depot)

2nd. Purchase a cheap box of small diameter paper clips. Yes you read it right PAPER CLIPS

3rd. remove the wiper linkage. Open the hood; remove the black plastic cover under your windshield; get a wrench(I forgot what size) remove the 6 nuts 3 on each side that hold the driver and passenger side wipers; now next thing you do is stick you hands inside the wiper housing to access the one nut that connects and holds the wiper linkage to your wiper motor, if you are successful in doing so, you can now remove the whole wiper linkage.

4th. Chances are the driver side linkage got disconnected from the ball joint. Now if you just put it back on it wont hold it that long because the retainer clips are already gone. This is where dear paper clip comes to play.

5th if notice the white cap (the one that snaps on to the ball joint) if your going to look @ it there is a small gap that used to house the retainer clips. Here is where the real work start.

6th clean all the grease out

7th get 1 paper clip bend it to form a circle, make sure the circumference matched the housing of the retainer clips

8th insert the paper clip inside the housing of the retainer clip. You might need a small flat screwdriver or anything that you can use to push the paper clip inside the housing so that it will tighten up the holding clips of the cap.

9th connect it back to the ball joint and it will snap back on. Before putting it back make sure to do a strength test on it.

10th reinstall your wiper linkage.

I can attest to you that this simple, inexpensive repair will last you a long time coz I did it on my car 2 years ago and its still holding up!
#4 Old 07-03-2007, 06:34 PM
que es un altima?

I'm having trouble with the 3rd step. I removed the nut and the washer but the linkage won't come off the motor.

EDIT: I figured it out. You're supposed to pop the ball joint at the motor instead of removing the little arm that is bolted to the motor.

Last edited by booyah_tribe; 07-03-2007 at 06:51 PM.
#5 Old 07-03-2007, 07:25 PM
que es un altima?

I need help on how to remove one of the 6 bolts in step 3. I've used 4 different penetrating oils and none of them work.
#6 Old 07-03-2007, 07:56 PM
Yeah, I spelled it wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyah_tribe
EDIT: I figured it out. You're supposed to pop the ball joint at the motor instead of removing the little arm that is bolted to the motor.
If you pulled the crank arm off the motor, make sure you line it back up right or your wipers will be all over the place after you try to turn the back off after using them.
#7 Old 07-04-2007, 12:13 AM
que es un altima?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atimadator
If you pulled the crank arm off the motor, make sure you line it back up right or your wipers will be all over the place after you try to turn the back off after using them.
Even though I pulled off the nut and washer the arm wouldn't come off. So I popped the ball joint right next to it instead. Also when I put the motor back in I turned the wipers on then off and it automatically went back to it's original "wipers down" position.

The toughest part of this job was getting one of the bolts off that held the driver side wiper linkage in place. I ended up using a super small pair of vice grips to hold the shaft in place. It would have been a lot easier to remove the ball joint on the drivers side but there wasn't enough space to pop it off.
#8 Old 11-02-2009, 08:06 PM

now when replacing that part, to reconnect it back to the ball joint, what were your guy's expierience doing that.... how did you do it?

I cant manage to conncect my new piece to it, pressing as hard as i can
#9 Old 04-03-2010, 12:05 AM
98 Altima GLE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro View Post
I had the same problem like that before. My wiper got stuck because of the frost in my windshield when I accidentally turned on my wiper. Boom….. The Wiper linkage broke!

The Bad News is you can’t get that wiper linkage in any auto shop, you can only get it on a Dealership or a Junkshop.

The Good News is you can fix it with out even going to anyone of those places, like what I did. Here how I fix mine

1st. Drive down the nearest office supply store(staples, office depot)

2nd. Purchase a cheap box of small diameter paper clips. Yes you read it right PAPER CLIPS

3rd. remove the wiper linkage. Open the hood; remove the black plastic cover under your windshield; get a wrench(I forgot what size) remove the 6 nuts 3 on each side that hold the driver and passenger side wipers; now next thing you do is stick you hands inside the wiper housing to access the one nut that connects and holds the wiper linkage to your wiper motor, if you are successful in doing so, you can now remove the whole wiper linkage.

4th. Chances are the driver side linkage got disconnected from the ball joint. Now if you just put it back on it wont hold it that long because the retainer clips are already gone. This is where dear paper clip comes to play.

5th if notice the white cap (the one that snaps on to the ball joint) if your going to look @ it there is a small gap that used to house the retainer clips. Here is where the real work start.

6th clean all the grease out

7th get 1 paper clip bend it to form a circle, make sure the circumference matched the housing of the retainer clips

8th insert the paper clip inside the housing of the retainer clip. You might need a small flat screwdriver or anything that you can use to push the paper clip inside the housing so that it will tighten up the holding clips of the cap.

9th connect it back to the ball joint and it will snap back on. Before putting it back make sure to do a strength test on it.

10th reinstall your wiper linkage.

I can attest to you that this simple, inexpensive repair will last you a long time coz I did it on my car 2 years ago and its still holding up!
My driver window got hung-up on the trim and the arm inside the cowl became disconnected at the linkage - the wiper linkage bushing came off. I did the paperclip trick and it worked great! thanks!

'98 altima GLE - DD
'06 STI - toy
#10 Old 04-25-2010, 09:28 PM
97 slushbox

Forum is awesome...this will save me some $ and trbl goin 2 a repair shop...thx guys
#11 Old 02-11-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrics84 View Post
now when replacing that part, to reconnect it back to the ball joint, what were your guy's expierience doing that.... how did you do it?

I cant manage to conncect my new piece to it, pressing as hard as i can
same here, i pressed as hard as i can but cant seem to pop it back in.

i tried to remove the whole linkage by unscrewing the bolts but they are rusty as hell, they just turn and turn without coming out

any suggestions ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode