LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Altima SE-R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Sludge in my engine

I have a growing problem with sludge in my engine, I have read various threads on the subject but still not sure how to get rid of the problem. I'm going to get a oil change done on monday, but not sure if one of those wynn engine tune-up cleaners would be a good idea to use even for a couple of mins to loosen up sludge. Or should I do like 2-3 frequent oil changes and get as much sludge out as i can that way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-17-2007, 08:29 PM
Certified lunatic

If you use a cleaner and it loosens up any sludge, you're going to clog the piss out of the filter pretty quick. But if you ask if using a cleaner is wise.. vs what? Keeping sludge? You might as well push your luck..

I can ask my mechanic his input, but the following seems logical: get you 5-6 quarts of new oil (and a new oil filter). Add one of the name brand engine treatment/cleaners to the oil. Warm the engine up to operating temperature for 10-15 minutes, then drain it. Yea. It'll be hot. Stand clear.

Drain it completely, then refill it with the new oil + some more of the cleaner/treatment stuff. Synthetic oil is almost a must if you're already getting sludge. Change that oil after 3-4000 miles and check your sludginess again.
#3 Old 02-17-2007, 08:30 PM

oliverc,
Have you ever heard of seafoam???Sea Foam.
I have read this is a good internal engine cleaner from other members here.

Glenn

1998 ALTIMA GLE , CS3 Brushed Pewter
Gone But Not Forgotten TOTALED
RIP 4/28/08
Hello 2009 Toyota Camry SE.

#4 Old 02-17-2007, 08:51 PM
You'd lose.

Just finished changing the oil in the Altima, which had Seafoam in it for about 300 miles (more than I wanted, but I can't change oil in 6" of ice).

Oil came out as black as Satan's blood. I'll check the dipstick tomorrow and see what the color of the new oil is. Just from glancing in the oil fill hole, it seems to have cleaned it up some.

1999 Firebird Formula Trans Am WS.9, M6, Blue-Green Chameleon
1987 GMC Jimmy, TBI350/TH350, 10b, 6" lift, 35" tires.
Neither quite stock.

http://community.webshots.com/user/OutlawLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulski
Cvl... this may never happen again, so take note of it. Thank you.
#5 Old 02-17-2007, 09:04 PM
Altima SE-R

(Thread Starter)
Yeah I've heard of sea foam before but not sure if I can get it where I live. When I go to the shop on monday I'll ask if they sell it. See I've been using lucas oil treatment and I think that is the problem for the extra sludge buildup I'm not gonna use that shit anymore. I just wanna fix the problem before it's too late because aside from the sludge my engine has given me no problems and runs very smooth.
#6 Old 02-17-2007, 09:20 PM

www.auto-rx.com Search on it as well.
#7 Old 02-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Certified lunatic

I've heard mixed reviews of seafoam.. might wanna research that. I've heard its not so great for seals? But hell, I mean, if I had to choose with a bunch of crap in my engine or a questionable cleaner.. I'd probably just push my luck with the cleaner. Could do what civil said and run it for just a week or so before flushing it.

You could possibly just start running a decent synthetic and this might run itself out too. If it's running fine now.. a quick brush with seafoam + moving to synthetic may be your best shot.
#8 Old 02-18-2007, 03:51 AM

I would be careful about using a cleaner, then using synthetic. Both may make oil leaks happen.

Personally, depending on how bad the sludge is, use a higher quality oil. Good oils already have detergents in them to combat sludge. Using cleaners could mess up the chemistry in the oil, thus making it less effective.

I use Castrol GTX 5w-30 with a Bosch oil filter, and after 3,000 miles, my oil is still fairly amber.

If you are using a Fram oil filter, stop, they are junk. The filtering quality of those filters in laughable. The bosch is more expensive (about 2x the cost) but the quality of my oil after 3000 miles with the Bosch is so much better than the quality of my oil after 3000 miles with the Fram.

Just curious, but how do you know that you are getting a lot of sludge?

From what I've heard, Seafoam should only be used in your oil for 10-15 minutes. Using a warm engine, put in the seafoam before an oil change, idle for 10-15 minutes, then drain and refill with new oil. If may not be a bad idea to use an extra quart to rinse that shit out before you refill.

1995 Altima GXE (sold)
2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
2001 Yamaha YZF600R

Last edited by bkal; 02-18-2007 at 03:54 AM.
#9 Old 02-18-2007, 04:13 AM
Altima SE-R

(Thread Starter)
Yeah I think I'm gonna do about 2-3 quick oil changes to slowly get some of the gunk out without harming my seals. Then that way I'm not gonna loosen a huge chunk of sludge into the oil pump, because my engine isn't on its last legs by the sound of it. If that doesn't work than i'll think about using the cleaner. The engine has over 215000 km's on it so I'm not trying to do anything harmful to it because i wanna get atleast another 2 years out of it.
#10 Old 02-18-2007, 04:29 AM

Marvel Mystery Oil is a good oil additive. It's a slow cleaner vs. Seafoam and Auto-Rx which are abrasive cleaners. The MMO can be kept in for the life of the oil. I use it on occasion.

1995 Altima GXE (sold)
2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
2001 Yamaha YZF600R

#11 Old 02-18-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkal
Marvel Mystery Oil is a good oil additive. It's a slow cleaner vs. Seafoam and Auto-Rx which are abrasive cleaners. The MMO can be kept in for the life of the oil. I use it on occasion.
Auto-RX is not an abrasive cleaner and is considered a "green" product. It's ester based.

What's ester?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ester
#12 Old 02-18-2007, 12:40 PM
You'd lose.

This is a rather massive thread about Seafoam, but probably worth the read. It won't harm the seals unless you use it constantly, over and over. I personally wouldn't put Seafoam into a hot engine crankcase (cold liquid + hot metal = bad things), but I've now run it through 2 cars without issue; my car had it in the crankcase for about 125 miles, and the Altima had it in for about 250 miles.

bkal, what you might have heard for the 15-20 minute thing is the procedure to clean the top end with Seafoam...you let the engine warm up to operating temperature, pop off a vacuum hose and let it suck up about 1/2 of a can of Seafoam without stalling the engine, then as soon as it's sucked all the liquid up, immediately shut the engine off. Following that, you let the car sit for 15-30 minutes, then take it for a "spirited" drive.

LS1TECH - How To Seafoam Your Car

1999 Firebird Formula Trans Am WS.9, M6, Blue-Green Chameleon
1987 GMC Jimmy, TBI350/TH350, 10b, 6" lift, 35" tires.
Neither quite stock.

http://community.webshots.com/user/OutlawLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulski
Cvl... this may never happen again, so take note of it. Thank you.
#13 Old 02-18-2007, 04:51 PM
Altima SE-R

(Thread Starter)
I have used a cleaner before by wynn's and it actually did help and I had no problems with it so I bought another bottle today. I'm going to use it and hope for the best then use castrol gtx oil and just run this bitch until it dies.

Wynn's Canada On-Line - Products
#14 Old 02-18-2007, 05:29 PM
white on rice

I see castrol's new sludge commercial marketing is effective...

White 1998 Altima GLE
Injen wai
OBX header & cat-back
Some subs and amps
Black '01 headlights
Powerslots & hawks
Spec-V Rims powdercoated black
Tokico struts
S/T springs and rsb
FSTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Lion
I'm glad SOMEBODY finally said it. And of course it'd be YOU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclypse
Considering you dont have a lift and I'm picturing this thing falling on your face, you may want to clearly understand what is involved here.
#15 Old 02-18-2007, 05:59 PM
Altima SE-R

(Thread Starter)
What do you suggest Mr "no it all", give me some of your great insight, and for the record castrol is a good quality oil for the money. I'm not going to a synthetic oil it may cause leaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode