engine sputtering... lost power, HELP! - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2007, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
engine sputtering... lost power, HELP!

I have a 97' Altima 5spd. with 110k miles. It has never had any problems since I got it 6 years ago with 50k miles. I replaced the clutch at 100k and thats it. I havent been driving it at all lately because my girl and I just drive my Miata all the time. So its been driven maybe 50 miles in the last 3 months.

About 2 weeks ago, my girlfriend was driving us to lunch when the car started sputtering really bad in 1st gear and jerking, like it was out of gas and losing power... it did this for just a few moments. I drove home without incident and didn't feel anything abnormal in any gear. I thought maybe my girl had forgotten how to drive a manual...

Yesterday, I filled the car up with a full tank of gas at a Chevron that I always go to, to take a 75 mile trip. Got there just fine in 85 degree heat... no problems whatsoever. On the way back, almost immediately after leaving, the car started doing the sputtering thing again REALLY bad. To the point that after 2 miles of driving, the car had no power and I had to pull over. It idled fine at 1000 rpm, but when I revved it up, hitting 3000 rpm, it lost power and the needle just bobbed between 1000 and 3000 rpm sporatically, and the engine was shaking badly. When I pulled over, the car still idled fine, but had no power above 3k rpm. THEN after about 10 mins, it died and I couldnt even get it started again.

I pulled over and checked under the hood, oil and such... everything looked fine but still wouldnt crank up. I went ahead and called a tow truck. He towed me home about 30 miles. When I got home, I tried cranking it up and it started just fine and had full power!!! I drove it around the block and it ran just perfectly????????

Does anyone have any idea what might cause this? I thought maybe clogged injectors? bad gas? bad distributor????

I haven't driven the car since I got it home because since it failed so randomly, I cant trust it until I figure out what went wrong. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2007, 07:01 PM

Distributor.

1994 Nissan Altima GXE (Ruby Pearl) Auto 200k, Bomz Short-Ram Intake, Alpine 9856 Head Unit w/iPod Interface, Infinity 6" x 8" REF6812CF (Front x 2), Infinity 6-1/2" REF6012I (Rear x 2), Lemans Champion HR 195/60/R15, NGK Wires/Plugs, Pilot Lighting PL-1055C Fog Lights, Depo Chrome Headlights
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2382348

Old 05-21-2007, 07:32 PM
The Don.

Yeap, distributor. If not, then the MAF.

'94 Nissan Altima SE, 5spd. Ultra Red (AJ4).
Erebuni 905, Turboing, Hotshot CAI, UR Pulley, Calum ECU,
HUD & ATC retrofitted, DEPO lamps /w Silverstars, NGK Ignition wires.
ITEMS FOR SALE
Old 05-21-2007, 09:32 PM

A third for the distributor. When mine went, sometimes it'd run great, other times, poorly.

1995 Altima GXE (sold)
2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
2001 Yamaha YZF600R

Old 05-22-2007, 12:48 AM
Chawk

I think that about says it all, but what the hell, Yeah its the distributor.

I am the unnecessary part replacement guy
Old 05-22-2007, 12:50 AM

Check all distributor connections I had same problem on my 97alty my friend pulled a prank on me and forgot to tell me so I suffer for couple month, untill i figured it out wht was wrong with it

Decals add hourse power!
Old 05-22-2007, 08:03 PM

If the car won't rev above 3k I'm thinking more it's more of a MAF related issue....Backprobe the MAF harness while it's getting power and see what numbers you get....

Doesn't really sound like a loose harness issue...that usually causes an over rich condition....Did you smell unburnt fuel in the exhaust or black exhaust?

Pull the distributor cap and check for fresh oil that may be leaking as well....If the car will rev above 3k, then it's more likely the distributor...

Jeremy
Old 05-22-2007, 10:24 PM
We're watching you.

I'm leaning more towards the MAF than the distributor.

When my MAF went out, it didn't go above 3k rpms.

If it were the distributor, you'd be able to go past 3k rpms.

Zilvia.net Moderator
'89 240sx SE - Totaled.
'92 240sx, 41k miles...Currently at 65k...Getting painted.
'99 G20T - Daily driver.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:54 PM
Project Green Lantern

Mine died out on my wife like that. Said it was like it ran out of gas turns out there was oil all over the distributor from that little O-ring that leaks.

2000 Altima SE, 5spd - Mods: I/H/E
Old 05-23-2007, 03:06 AM

REMEMBER: MAF CAN FAIL PARTIALLY, NOT THROWING A CODE, AND NOT HAVING THE 2500RPM SAFETY LIMIT. IT CAN CAUSE RANDOM STUTTERS, STALLING, AND OVERALL BAD GAS MILEAGE WHENEVER IT FEELS LIKE IT.

I would recommend going to an auto parts store, and having them read your OBD code. You may have a "non-lit" code stored because it hasnt happened enough times.

Otherwise I would suggest taking the cap of the distributor, and removing the 2-3 screws on the protective plate so you can see the camshaft position sensor wheel. See if there is an oil residue in the area, or on the camshaft sensor wheel itself.

If it is bone dry, then you may have a break in your MAF sensor internally. The pins go inside the assembly, and where they connect to the circuit board the solder sometimes breaks. This can be repaired with some skill, there is a thread I posted about it a few days ago.

Those are going to be your main 2 culprits. Dont buy anything yet.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:05 AM

It has been a while since I first posted on this problem, but the car has been sitting in my garage for about 6 months.

I just took the distributor off tonight and the gasket was quite mangled and there was about a tablespoon of oil on the bottom of the distributor.

To clear the RPM issue up, it would rev above 2500rpm sometimes, but when it would get really bad (the few times that it would quit altogether... which was a gradual process) it would progressively go from losing power and sputtering to losing all power and barely keeping it running to it dying and staying that way for 30 mins. Then it would crank back up like nothing ever happened and have full power. SO, I dont think the MAF sensor would be the problem there. The issue of the very visible oil that I saw on the distributor..... now seems like the most likely cause.

If this is the case, should I get a completely new distributor or just new gaskets?
Old 11-20-2007, 12:58 AM
L4D2 Rage!

I had a very similar problem with my altima, turn out it was the fuel pump , got it replaced, problem solved, so you might wanna check that out.

Volk GT-V |Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD + 160GB | JL 1000/1 | Dual 12 Alpine Type-R | GReddy Evo2 Exhaust |Tanabe N210 | CF Spoiler | Injen Dual Cold Air Intake
Sequential LED Turn Signal | JDM Black LED Reflectors |
Old 11-20-2007, 02:02 AM

i replaced the distributor with a re-manufactured one from advance auto-parts and I drove it about 25 miles with no problems. I think that between the new gasket and the new distributor, the problem is solved.

thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode