dash lights go off when headlights turned on - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

NissanClub.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2007, 02:00 AM

Red face dash lights go off when headlights turned on

Hi guys, hope you can help. I've had a rough day.
I took my 93 Altima GLE in to have an estimate for axles & tie rod ends a few days ago. They weren't able to do the job that day and I needed the car back, so I went back to pick it up. I didn't notice until later that day, that when I turned the headlights on at night, the dashboard lights went out and the digital displays (clock & thermostat) went very dim, but not completely black. The dummy lights (airbag, high beams, turn signals, ect) in the display were not affected, and neither was the after-market stereo, but the lights on the gear shifter also went out. I checked to see if the tail lights were on because I remembered from long ago that they are sometimes connected to the same fuse, but they were working fine.
I took the car back today to have the tie rods done and told my mechanic about the dash lights. My mechanic, (who was recommended to me and up until today, always seemed fair, knowledgeable and trustworthy), said the fuses were fine and he didn't seem to have any sympathy or take any responsibility for the fact that this happened after I picked up the car from his shop. He told me that he would have to take the console out to get behind the dashboard to see what was wrong and also thought that it might be the fault of wiring job from the stereo (which i had installed over 4 mos ago). I told him I'd let it go for now and took the car home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2007, 04:54 AM

Have you tried playing around with the dimmer switch?
Old 07-18-2007, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj trace View Post
Have you tried playing around with the dimmer switch?
I was just about to mention that. Check you dimmer switch, make sure it's up. Alot of times I wont even notice when i get in my car that i hit it and turn it all the way down.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:48 PM

No, it wasn't the dimmer switch. It was actually the first thing I checked... but for some odd reason, when I got in the car last night, everything was back to normal. And no, I'm not crazy... I have witnesses!! This dang car seriously has a mind of its own! But thanks anyway for the suggestion! I'm sure I will need you again sometime in the (near?) future!
Old 07-19-2007, 12:16 AM
july notm winner!

dont feel bad. the lights on my a/c control unit dim in and out as they please not sure whats causing it but it doesnt matter anyways the led's in the car more then make up for it
Old 07-19-2007, 06:58 AM

probably a grounded connection. have it checked by your trusty electrician.

Nissan brake rotors, Nissan water pump and Nissan brake pads are some parts I need to replace.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:04 PM
DIPSETstatus

Dimmer switch... I had same problem adjust it down just a tad and everything will go back to normal.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:03 PM
You are clueless

You know I had left the Altima at the airport for 5 days and when I picked it up it did the same exact thing. However after 20miles or so the dash lights came back up. It rained every day I was gone so I considered it a humidity problem. Hasn't done it since. Mines a 98.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.