LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-13-2007, 05:38 AM
Resident

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation 87 VS 93 Octane Fuel for Altima

I feel like I should already know the answer, and that this is a menial question but I have to ask....

I have a 94' Nissan Altima GXE 5 Speed, I bought it off a friend after he bought a mazda 626 "which is already giving him major idling issues".

My problem is that when he sold it to me, he basically made me promise that I would never put regular or midgrade fuel in the car, ONLY 93 octane. To my knowledge 93 octane will do no good for a car that is only casually driven, the car isn't modded out for racing only minor upgrades. So far I've honored his request "he was dead serious when he said it". He claims that 87 octane fuel will "start blowing fuel injectors out" and says he lost multiple fuel injectors untill he realized 93 octane stopped this.

Before I switch back to 87 grade, I wanted to ask if anyone knows what the hell my friend is talking about? He's a heavy machinery mechanic so in the meantime I'm taking his word for it lol but my gut tells me he's full of shit.

94' Nissan Altima GXE 2.4L 5 speed
Timing set at 22deg/cold air/upgraded plugs&wires
replaced ugly custom front grill installed by previous owner to stock grill off a 96'. Just a little project car to hold me over untill I get my dream vehicle, which I haven't figured out yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-13-2007, 06:11 AM

I use 89 octane. if you use octane higher than 87 it's best to advance ignition timing to about 21degrees.
so right now I have 190K. timing is 22degrees. I use 89 octane. haven't measured mpg yet. but at 3000-3500rpm I start flying like I have turbo. I mean torque pick moved to lower rpm after I advanced timing. and it's kind of cool. the engine is relatively quite. and you really feel acceleration.

this is first time I have ever heard of injectors blown out.
#3 Old 09-13-2007, 02:01 PM

I use 87 all the time, and I drive 550 miles/week. I have a '95

Likewise on injectors blowing out. Unless your knocking/pinging, I can't see why your injectors would have a problem.

If your using cheap no name store gas thats been sitting in their tank since they opened, then yeah, clog them up to no end, but I can't see why fuel octane choice would affect injectors.

1995 Altima GXE (sold)
2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
2001 Yamaha YZF600R

#4 Old 09-13-2007, 03:28 PM

High octane gas contain higher proportion of "cleaners" which keep your engine and injectors cleaner. With 87 oct gas, occassional addition of a good injector cleaner should solve the problem. High octane gas creates high heat which is bad exhaust but occasional high heat is good for the cat converter as it helps burn off the residues. Also low octane = slightly low power.

Just my $0.02+$0.02+$0.02.
#5 Old 09-13-2007, 03:32 PM

@ Bkal

"My lug nuts require more torque than your Honda makes..."

Very very funny. I have to show this to my Blind Honda friends.
#6 Old 09-13-2007, 03:56 PM
The Don.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Tell your heavy machinery mechanic friend to stop smoking weed. We have plenty of members standing by if he'd like to enter into a online debate on this topic.

'94 Nissan Altima SE, 5spd.
Erebuni 905, Turboing, Hotshot CAI, UR Pulley, Calum ECU,
HUD & ATC retrofitted, DEPO lamps, NGK Ignition wires.
ITEMS FOR SALE
#7 Old 09-13-2007, 04:05 PM
Resident

(Thread Starter)
Guys thank you, thank you. I forgot to mention that the timing in the car is advanced. I'm glad to know that it's ok to put 89/93 octane in a cyliner and some of you even do. "I owned a V-6 Probe GT before this and I always put in 93 octane "recommended" so I'm a little new to import 4 cylinders 'other then the suzuki swift I breifly owned' *sighs and bows head* "we wont go there".

94' Nissan Altima GXE 2.4L 5 speed
Timing set at 22deg/cold air/upgraded plugs&wires
replaced ugly custom front grill installed by previous owner to stock grill off a 96'. Just a little project car to hold me over untill I get my dream vehicle, which I haven't figured out yet.
#8 Old 09-13-2007, 04:09 PM
I keep em comin back.....

Let's see, you drive a low compression four banger and I believe on your gauge it reads "unleaded fuel only" right? 87 is all you will ever need, you can throw in some lucas fuel injector cleaner, but 87 and no more than that. Don't waste your money on gas that you don't need...I swear, I wish I could put 87 in my G35 but it only requires premium. If you car doesn't ping when you throw in 87, you should stick with that
#9 Old 09-13-2007, 04:13 PM
DRUNKEN WIKI TERRORIST

wow.....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
#10 Old 09-13-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunson View Post
I forgot to mention that the timing in the car is advanced. ".

Well, this is a different story then. You can go back to original "timing" and start usuing regular gas.
#11 Old 09-13-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traihan View Post
High octane gas contain higher proportion of "cleaners" which keep your engine and injectors cleaner. With 87 oct gas, occassional addition of a good injector cleaner should solve the problem.
I second this. Also from what I understand how the octance works you probably only need midgrade since ur ignition is advanced. The higher the octane the more heat or compression is required to detonate it. That is why with higher compression engines and higher performance applications you need higher octane so they don't predetonate (aka ping). But since it requires more energy to burn higher octane, you could lose an unmeasurable amount of power/mileage.

All in all, though, it is not cost effective to throw in high octane when not needed.
#12 Old 09-13-2007, 05:15 PM
I AM LEGEND

I have and will always use premium,but thats just me.My Altima saw nothing but premium,I have to use it on the Sentra due to the ECU,and I use it on the G20 also.

Do what your wallet can afford.
#13 Old 09-13-2007, 08:41 PM
shift_Subaru

i used premium in my alti... but my timing was advanced.

refer to iceman's guide for anymore discussion on advanced timing and what octane you should be running.

1994 Altima GXE - Auto
Sold 9-15-07
2003 Toyota Echo 2dr - Auto
Given away 8-20-09
1998 Subaru Legacy GT Sedan - 5spd
2.2L Motor Swap
New 2.5 5spd Transmission
Outback Front Bumper Swap
2002 Legacy GT Black Leather Front Seats
Borla Rep Headers
2.5" Exhaust
#14 Old 09-14-2007, 02:06 AM

i used to use 97 with advanced timing but i switched back to 87 and normal timing and can't tell a difference.

if it makes you feel better, spend an extra $1.50 each fill up and get whatever you want. this horse has been beaten almost as much as the "regular vs synthetic oil" horse.

LET THEM DIE PEOPLE!

#15 Old 09-14-2007, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck34gboro View Post
i used to use 97 with advanced timing but i switched back to 87 and normal timing and can't tell a difference.

if it makes you feel better, spend an extra $1.50 each fill up and get whatever you want. this horse has been beaten almost as much as the "regular vs synthetic oil" horse.

LET THEM DIE PEOPLE!
that's very strange. I always noticed better gas pedal response when I use 89 octane. I haven't used anything above 89.
but 89 gets better mpg. I used to get 23 in city. now I get 26.5. you run cleaner gasoline and get better mpg. I think it's worth it.

there was one racer guy here who used 100 octane. he dynoed his car. it turned out that with 100octane he had to retard timing to get maximum hp and torque. so I don't know if advancing timing with 97 octane is a good idea.

I think his name is lmmotors or something like that. blue altima on his avatar.
edit: here is the thread
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/gen...94-altima.html

Last edited by paradox96; 09-14-2007 at 04:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode