No Spark 96 Altima - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-09-2008, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
No Spark 96 Altima

I have checked the coil,cam,and crank sensors i have no power coming from the ecu to the resistor,its the red and white wire coming from the ecu im thinking its the ecu,i was looking for some imput from the experts here like what else would you check,what problems have you had..etc all help is appreciated thanks alot,charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-10-2008, 07:01 AM
The Don.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
One thing you could do is,

- remove the distributor off the engine with all wires attached.
- pull the fuel rail upside-down, with all injectors attached.
- set the ignition switch to ON.
- slowly rotate the distributor shaft and check whether the injectors are firing.

If the injectors are NOT firing, you have a distributor or ECU issue. If the injectors ARE firing, then you are likely having an ignition issue.

'94 Nissan Altima SE, 5spd.
Erebuni 905, Turboing, Hotshot CAI, UR Pulley, Calum ECU,
HUD & ATC retrofitted, DEPO lamps, NGK Ignition wires.
ITEMS FOR SALE
#3 Old 02-11-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jserrano View Post
If the injectors are NOT firing, you have a distributor or ECU issue. If the injectors ARE firing, then you are likely having an ignition issue.

Not necessarily. If you have both no spark and no injector pulse, the culprit is most like the crank sensor. If you have injector pulse but no spark, then it's most likely the cam sensor.

-ASE Certified Automotive Technician

Check out my 2001 Altima

#4 Old 02-12-2008, 02:07 AM

(Thread Starter)
i have injector pulse and jus for future reference a noid light is alot easier then taking the injectors out,i have no power at the coil,or the power transis tor which get their power from the ecu via a white/red striped wire that runs through the resistor any one had this prob b-4,btw the ecu fuse is good ecu relay is working properly,thanks again charles
#5 Old 02-12-2008, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfanss View Post
i have injector pulse and jus for future reference a noid light is alot easier then taking the injectors out,i have no power at the coil,or the power transis tor which get their power from the ecu via a white/red striped wire that runs through the resistor any one had this prob b-4,btw the ecu fuse is good ecu relay is working properly,thanks again charles

Exactly, but not many people have noid lite sets, so I didn't bother mentioning it. But it sounds like you have a bad cam sensor. I would just check continuity of the white/red wire from the distributer all the way to the ecu to make sure it isn't broken.

Also, another thing that should have been checked as well, is to make sure the distributor is actually spinning while you crank it. Would suck to go through all this testing only to find a broken timing chain.

Check out my 2001 Altima

#6 Old 02-12-2008, 12:32 PM
The Don.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We need to make a few corrections, especially for the newbie readers.

The noid light test is a great test! Good advice. The only time it'll misguide you is if you get a used fuel rail with injectors from a junkyard. Then there is a potential that all injectors would be stuck shut because of rusted pintle. I was brought to this 'rusted pintle' attention by another member here that helped someone fix his problem.

DJ Hellfire: with all due respect, you are incorrect in your statement. Re-read what you are saying. The crankshaft position sensor (CKP), ie. crank sensor, is only used for ECU diagnostics to detect engine misfiring. It is not used to control anything, especially fuel injection or ignition. On the other hand, the camshaft position sensor (CMP) does indeed control BOTH injection and ignition pulses. So if you have at least one of the two signals, then the CMP must be working. So you could also surmise from this that the ECU relay must be working because it provides power to the CMP, among other components. Another note is that a bad CMP sets a ECU diagnostic code #11. But you will not know this because the CEL does not light up. This causes most people to turn back the ignition switch to the OFF position, instead of leaving it as is, and checking for ECU diagnostics.

gatorfanss: that white/red wire is actually yellow/red - the weathering elements does that sometimes. Also, you are incorrect in assuming it is used to power the ignition coil and the power transistor. That resistor is used to feed the ECU a signal called an Ignition Check (IGNCK). That is how the ECU senses the ignition pulse and sets an ECU diagnostic code #21, if it is missing. It doesn't set a CEL so you'll have to check for it after trying to start the engine for five (5) seconds.

Here are another set of tests,

- disconnect the wiring plug to the power transisitor but leave the ignition coil plug attached.
- set the ignition switch to ON.
- backprobe for battery power on the black/red wire of the ignition coil.
- backprobe for battery power on the green wire of the ignition coil.
- check for battery power on the ignition coil high voltage wire. That is right, ignition coil HV wire. Only I can come up with crazy tests like this.
- finally, rerun the same tests but with the power transistor wiring plug attached.

Let us know what you find.

'94 Nissan Altima SE, 5spd.
Erebuni 905, Turboing, Hotshot CAI, UR Pulley, Calum ECU,
HUD & ATC retrofitted, DEPO lamps, NGK Ignition wires.
ITEMS FOR SALE

Last edited by jserrano; 02-12-2008 at 12:56 PM.
#7 Old 02-12-2008, 05:04 PM

since it is an OBDII car, check for any codes stored.

Used to own a 93' Altima KA24DE!
Revenge feels so good!
Nissan Tech
Fix it now! When it is right, not when it is very $$$ to fix!!!
#8 Old 02-12-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jserrano View Post
We need to make a few corrections, especially for the newbie readers.

DJ Hellfire: with all due respect, you are incorrect in your statement. Re-read what you are saying. The crankshaft position sensor (CKP), ie. crank sensor, is only used for ECU diagnostics to detect engine misfiring. It is not used to control anything, especially fuel injection or ignition. On the other hand, the camshaft position sensor (CMP) does indeed control BOTH injection and ignition pulses. So if you have at least one of the two signals, then the CMP must be working. So you could also surmise from this that the ECU relay must be working because it provides power to the CMP, among other components. Another note is that a bad CMP sets a ECU diagnostic code #11. But you will not know this because the CEL does not light up. This causes most people to turn back the ignition switch to the OFF position, instead of leaving it as is, and checking for ECU diagnostics.

You're right, I didn't keep in mind we do not have distributorless ignition. I see this problem all the time at work. I JUST had the same exact problem on a Maxima last week. Had great injector pulse an no spark and a code for the cam sensor. Checked the resistance on the sensor and got OL. Popped a new sensor in and drove the bitch out.

Check out my 2001 Altima

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode