98 gxe tire size q can I do 205/45/16? - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-09-2008, 01:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
98 gxe tire size q can I do 205/45/16?

Im getting some wheels and a dealer is selling me some nice rims/tires that are 205/45/16.

Now these are probably half to 1 inch smaller then the wheel/tire combo I have right now which is 205/60/15.

I know the 205/45/16 will fit but will having smaller sized tire/wheel mess with my car at all or will it be fine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-09-2008, 02:07 AM
Snow Kills My Car

it should be fine but your spedo will be slightly off...at 28mph your car will read 30 and at 56mph your car will read 60 and so on

************************************************** **************************************************

1996 Black Altima GXE/AT
-15" Motegi SX7 Matte Blk w/Machined lip for summer and 17" 05 Sentra SER Rims for winter
-JVC CD Receiver
-Pioneer Premier Speakers all the way around
-Viper Keyless Entry system
-Performance is next when i get some more money
#3 Old 05-09-2008, 02:19 AM

(Thread Starter)
I took it to dobbs tires and they told me that I would have suspension/traction/gas millage/transmission yes transmission problems if I did that and my alignment would be messed up.

They tried to sell me some tires for 400 bucks though that sucked.....
#4 Old 05-09-2008, 05:44 PM
que es un altima?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frescoxl View Post
I took it to dobbs tires and they told me that I would have suspension/traction/gas millage/transmission yes transmission problems if I did that and my alignment would be messed up.

Did they explain why you would get all those problems or what the actual problems would be? What was their recommended tire size? What brand of tire were they trying to sell you? It seems like they were trying to get you to buy tires from them. No surprise though since that's what they do. But you shouldn't have any problems. Your gas mileage might vary slightly and traction will depend on how good the tires are.
#5 Old 05-10-2008, 02:10 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by booyah_tribe View Post
Did they explain why you would get all those problems or what the actual problems would be? What was their recommended tire size? What brand of tire were they trying to sell you? It seems like they were trying to get you to buy tires from them. No surprise though since that's what they do. But you shouldn't have any problems. Your gas mileage might vary slightly and traction will depend on how good the tires are.
they recommended 205/55/16 instead of 205/45/16. They did not mention any brand of tire but said they run at 120 for the cheapest.

They did not explain why but just said I would have suspension, alignment, gas(low mpg) problems and up to transmission problems. They adviced to take the tires immediately and put my old ones in which were horrible. The old ones shook unlike these.
#6 Old 05-10-2008, 03:38 AM
Snow Kills My Car

im not sure about all those problems but 205/55/16 would be the best tire option for your car...plus your speedo will be almost exactly the same

************************************************** **************************************************

1996 Black Altima GXE/AT
-15" Motegi SX7 Matte Blk w/Machined lip for summer and 17" 05 Sentra SER Rims for winter
-JVC CD Receiver
-Pioneer Premier Speakers all the way around
-Viper Keyless Entry system
-Performance is next when i get some more money
#7 Old 05-10-2008, 03:53 AM
05 STi

odd....are the stock alloy rims on the altima 15" or 16"? I just had some new tires put on not too long ago and the other day i was curious and checked the tire size and they are 15" tires. I pull out my measuring tape and measure the rim lip to lip and they are 16". wtf?? how the hell do you fit 15" tires on 16" rims? Course i only paid $187 for all 4 tires mounted, so the tire shop probably skimped on tire size to save me money.

Adios altima, Tis no more..
The new ride:
Tint, 3" TBE w/Megan Racing DP & Magnaflow muffler, TurboXs RFL bov, Injen CAI, Perrin manual boost controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclypse
i see. so you bore the headers, and increase compression through the cams?

quit typing, start hitting the search button. honestly, it works. but hey what do i know, ill be out in the garage boring the headers on my Nova..
#8 Old 05-10-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altima_Junkie View Post
odd....are the stock alloy rims on the altima 15" or 16"? I just had some new tires put on not too long ago and the other day i was curious and checked the tire size and they are 15" tires. I pull out my measuring tape and measure the rim lip to lip and they are 16". wtf?? how the hell do you fit 15" tires on 16" rims? Course i only paid $187 for all 4 tires mounted, so the tire shop probably skimped on tire size to save me money.
Stock size is 15".

1994 Nissan Altima GXE (Ruby Pearl) Auto 200k, Bomz Short-Ram Intake, Alpine 9856 Head Unit w/iPod Interface, Infinity 6" x 8" REF6812CF (Front x 2), Infinity 6-1/2" REF6012I (Rear x 2), Lemans Champion HR 195/60/R15, NGK Wires/Plugs, Pilot Lighting PL-1055C Fog Lights, Depo Chrome Headlights
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2382348

#9 Old 05-10-2008, 08:09 PM
05 STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special7 View Post
Stock size is 15".
so the se alloy rims are not stock? do you measure from lip to lip on the outside or from the inside edge? if you measure the second way then yes it would be 15".

which reminds me, i should put my 18's back on since the weather here is finally starting to improve.

The new ride:
Tint, 3" TBE w/Megan Racing DP & Magnaflow muffler, TurboXs RFL bov, Injen CAI, Perrin manual boost controller

Quote:

quit typing, start hitting the search button. honestly, it works. but hey what do i know, ill be out in the garage boring the headers on my Nova..
#10 Old 05-10-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
so the se alloy rims are not stock? do you measure from lip to lip on the outside or from the inside edge? if you measure the second way then yes it would be 15".

which reminds me, i should put my 18's back on since the weather here is finally starting to improve.
All wheels on the 1st gens were 15" alloy or steel.

1994 Nissan Altima GXE (Ruby Pearl) Auto 200k, Bomz Short-Ram Intake, Alpine 9856 Head Unit w/iPod Interface, Infinity 6" x 8" REF6812CF (Front x 2), Infinity 6-1/2" REF6012I (Rear x 2), Lemans Champion HR 195/60/R15, NGK Wires/Plugs, Pilot Lighting PL-1055C Fog Lights, Depo Chrome Headlights

#11 Old 05-10-2008, 11:09 PM
05 STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special7 View Post
All wheels on the 1st gens were 15" alloy or steel.
Well, i knew that. how do you explain the rim measuring 16" though? the tape doesn't lie lol.

The new ride:

Quote:

#12 Old 05-11-2008, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Well, i knew that. how do you explain the rim measuring 16" though? the tape doesn't lie lol.
You got me.

#13 Old 05-12-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frescoxl View Post

These claims are completely false. Though it never hurts to do an alignment after any change in tire or wheel size. Those claims remind me of a local shop that is known for ripping off innocent customers. It's amazing what length shops will go to for an extra dime.

And with a wider tire, I think you'll be very happy with the better handling and traction! You may even want to consider sport springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode