Intermittent Air Conditioner - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2008, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Intermittent Air Conditioner

Just recently my wife has been complaining that the air conditioner comes and goes. Every time I got in the car the a/c worked fine so I thought she was crazy...until today. We went into a shop and when we came out and started the car the a/c was blowing warm air. I got out and noticed that the compressor had not kicked on so I figured it had to be a short or some other electrical problem. So...as we're driving and hitting bumps the a/c would kick on and off with the hitting of the bumps in the road. Now I definitely know(hope) it's an electrical problem. If it's not electrical could it be that the compressor is getting the juice and the clutch is screwed and not engaging?

Where do I start in finding where this problem is? I don't think it's a fuse simply because if it were a bad fuse then it wouldn't act intermittent. Is this a common problem or am I alone in this? It could be in the dash controls or somewhere closer to compressor. Nevertheless, where would be the most likely problem? I gotta get it fixed cause it's hot as BALLZ!!

A wiring diagram would be helpful too...the Haynes manual doesn't seem to have one for the air conditioner.

Edit: There is a wiring diagram...I was blind for a minute...and it's a manual a/c system

Last edited by dimlight85; 06-13-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2008, 10:52 PM

Alright...since no one has been able to chime in and I need this ASAP, I was able to find out through some other sites that the common problem in the A/C with the 2000 models is that the Thermal Control Amplifier goes out and needs to be replaced. However, most stealerships and the like don't look for this problem and will charge an a**load to fix many other things before that.

So...on BuyNissanParts.com I found this part for about $28 and will be ordering it later this evening. The Thermo Amp is right behind the glove box and you have to take apart the evap case to install it but is only a few screws. It's only supposed to take about 30 minutes top to fix.

On a side note, I contacted a dealer today for this part and they stated that they don't keep it stocked but could have it in three days for $37. No problem until he says that they never have to replace those and it's usually a much more expensive pressure sensor. Then I found this site

Weird that MSN says that what I said is a commonly recurring problem and mister stealership tries to sell me on some more expensive doo dad.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:04 PM

Another question:

I read some instructions on how to change out the thermal contol amp and it seemed pretty straight forward. Today I took the glove box down to get to the evap box. There are two large bolts on the bottom half of the box and two smaller screws that attach to the upper part of the box. Then there are two clips that hold the bottom half of the evap box to the top half. After I removed the two bolts, two screws and the clips, the bottom half should have just slid down. Instead, it only sperated buy about 1/2 an inch and I didn't want to force it for fear of breaking it. Am I forgetting something here? There's some kind of foam stripping attaching the upper half to the bottom half but it didn't seem like that could be causing the kind of tension I was feeling. Any help would be great! THANKS!
Old 06-17-2008, 02:29 AM
The Don.

I hope you are reading some of the past posts cause we wrote a few blurps on this,

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/gen...-ac-issue.html

Just keep in mind that the thermal control amp is driven by what the evaporator core is doing. So if it doesn't turn out to be a thermal control amp then you will have to move on to the expansion valve as the next likely cause. Good luck and let us know what you've found.

'94 Nissan Altima SE, 5spd. Ultra Red (AJ4).
Erebuni 905, Turboing, Hotshot CAI, UR Pulley, Calum ECU,
HUD & ATC retrofitted, DEPO lamps /w Silverstars, NGK Ignition wires.
ITEMS FOR SALE
Old 06-17-2008, 04:16 AM

My evap box doesn't look anything like the one in the picture and the thermal control amp on mine looks like the thermistor in that pic with a wire harness that connects directly behind the glove box. It's held in place by the top and bottom parts of the case coming together. On buynissanparts.com it's labeled as the "thermo amplifier" and doesn't look like that little black box from the picture.

I hope this works so I can be done with it...until the next thing breaks.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:13 PM

Hi I was running into the same issue, I had an AC shop check it and they said it was the expansion valve, course to do the job was like 800 + bucks and it seemed to me that he troubleshooting was too quick, so I started researching.

It could be coulple of things, check to see if its not low on freon, if its low I believe the compresor has a sensor and shuts the compresor off if it detects no freon.

I bought the expansion valve this weekend ordered it through autozone came out to 29 bucks, now i have to find a place that can loan me the tools to evacuate the system, I'll try to do the job this weekend, because its getting hot here in southern cali.

Im gonna try changing that valve first and if it doens't fix it I'll try the Termo Amp.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:21 PM

Diddo

Mine does the same thing. When it cools it cools like a muther. When it dies not even the difribulator will work on it. I'll invest my $28 in this part in hope that it will take care of the problem. Let us know what turns out. Do you have the part #? I was trying to look for it on buynissanparts.com and couldn't find it. Is it because mine is a 1999 GXE?

Last edited by Scoopafly; 06-17-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:04 PM

I guess I decided to go with the thermo amp first and hope that fixes it since I have no idea how to evacuate the a/c system. I just hope it works.

If you're looking for the thermo amp, just type in "thermo amplifier" into the search box on buynissanparts.com . It should pull it up and you can click on an exploded illustration of the evap box to see any other parts you may need...even the expansion valve. I'll get that next if this doesn't work and have to figure out how to fix it.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:41 PM
Captain Obvious!

Guys,

Please post results of this..i have a 2000 and would be curious if it solves your issue in case I run into it

Old 07-09-2008, 09:13 PM

Any luck?

I tried getting the thermo amp from the local stealership and when I went to pickup it was the thermistor. They didn't know what I was talking about when I explained what it was and what it did. Anyone have the part number on it? My A/C is dying. Now it will not go on for a while if at all. When it does it goes on cold for like 30 seconds. I've still got to look at the volts. It's been raining down here in So. TX except for today. Sun blairing hot!!! Looks like I'm going to have to sit it down, rip it apart, take the amp off and go looking at junk yards. Sucks cuz I'm going to have to make my truck the daily driver again. Just feel the dollars pump away. Would any other parts store sell this?

Last edited by Scoopafly; 07-09-2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlight85 View Post
My evap box doesn't look anything like the one in the picture and the thermal control amp on mine looks like the thermistor in that pic with a wire harness that connects directly behind the glove box. It's held in place by the top and bottom parts of the case coming together. On buynissanparts.com it's labeled as the "thermo amplifier" and doesn't look like that little black box from the picture.

I hope this works so I can be done with it...until the next thing breaks.

did you figure out how to get the lower half off?
Old 08-03-2008, 09:55 PM

All I did was loosen all the screws and opened it a bit. I was real careful not to tear it from the firewall. It's a tight fit but I was able to get it out and install the new one. It's been working fine for now. Thanks to all the guys who posted on this issue. So far so good.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoopafly View Post
All I did was loosen all the screws and opened it a bit. I was real careful not to tear it from the firewall. It's a tight fit but I was able to get it out and install the new one. It's been working fine for now. Thanks to all the guys who posted on this issue. So far so good.
l

the thermistor fixed the problem?
Old 08-14-2008, 06:18 PM

So far so good. It's worked like a dream. Perfect timing too. It's 99+ almost every day here in So. TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridinlow View Post
l

the thermistor fixed the problem?
Old 08-14-2008, 10:58 PM

I replaced the thermo amp as well and it fixed the problem. The only problem I had was fitting my bear hands into the damn evap box. The instructions I found said that it would just come apart...not the case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode