Car shakes when Braking - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-18-2008, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Car shakes when Braking

Whenever I press the brakes, it feels as if the whole car is shaking. I can actually feel my foot shaking when I press the brake pedal when coming down the highway. Any thoughts to why this occurs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-18-2008, 09:01 PM
The Don.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You probably have one or more brake caliper sliding pins that got frozen locked by rust and that rounded out (warped??) the rotors. I would just replace all the rotors, they're cheap. You might also have to replace some calipers and brakes if they don't look right.

'94 Nissan Altima SE, 5spd.
Erebuni 905, Turboing, Hotshot CAI, UR Pulley, Calum ECU,
HUD & ATC retrofitted, DEPO lamps, NGK Ignition wires.
ITEMS FOR SALE
#3 Old 07-18-2008, 10:33 PM

ya like he said. Car shakes when Braking is normally caused by the roters. They are really cheap. but also like he said, while you're there/down there if your brakes need to be changed, it might be easy to just change them now. however, throughout my entire set of cars I've only had one caliper that messed up where I had to replace it. I guess I'm lucky

First BS in Computer Science, second as an Electronic Engineer.
2001 Altima GXE
OBX 4-2-1
2001 F350 - I like big trucks. :-D

#4 Old 07-19-2008, 02:46 PM

i had the same thing happen and it was a frozen caliper pin. i managed to get the pin loose and then replaced the brake pads since they were all messed up from the pin getting stuck. i didnt bother replacing the rotors because they didnt look warped, and it has worked 100 times better ever since

1997.5 Altima GXE Ltd.
My first car, owned for 9 years and sold 09/2012

My FOR SALE thread
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/par...rbo-parts.html
#5 Old 07-19-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadeluca View Post
i didnt bother replacing the rotors because they didnt look warped, and it has worked 100 times better ever since

Sometimes it's possible to tell by looking at it if the rotors are messed up and sometimes it isn't possible. Ask any shop and they will tell you that you can't tell from looking at it. **or they just want to steal our money. lol**

But like I said before, it isn't going to hurt to change them out anyway. the cost of them are REALLY cheap. don't even try turning them unless you just don't have the money. Also check the alienment. are your front tires wearing at the same speed?**the entire surface area.

First BS in Computer Science, second as an Electronic Engineer.
2001 Altima GXE
OBX 4-2-1
2001 F350 - I like big trucks. :-D

#6 Old 07-19-2008, 06:12 PM

^ well yea. if they are only slightly warped you might not be able to tell, but in that case it isnt as important to change them. if they are so heavily warped that you can see it, the is a bigger need to replace them.

1997.5 Altima GXE Ltd.
My first car, owned for 9 years and sold 09/2012

My FOR SALE thread
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/par...rbo-parts.html
#7 Old 07-29-2008, 05:07 AM

my 98 altima drove like crap til i replaced the brakes cleaned the caliper pins and changed the rotors. I found out one of the pins was dirty causing one of my brakes to grab and that caused my rotors to be majorly warped which made the ride worse. I fixed all of them and now it drives great
#8 Old 07-29-2008, 06:33 PM

Brakes 101:
Anytime you replace the brakes, you MUST clean the pins, slides, guides, etc, and then re-lube them. Anytime you replace, or turn the rotors, you MUST replace brake pads. You also have to check brake hardware for leaks, loose caliper, bent caliper, etc.

For better maintenance, you can apply a thin coat of anti-seize lubricant to the back of the rotors, so they don't stick to the hub. You can also apply it to all the bolts and nuts to prevent oxidation.

One more thing... turning rotors = $10-15 each, new rotors = $20-30 each. I also painted the non-contact surfaces of my rotors to prevent them from rusting so fast.

Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode