The Nissan Club banner

STUPID immobilizer prevents my Altima 2000 to start

122K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  amc49 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
I have been pulling my hair for 10 days, change spark-plugs, new battery, check fuses, re-program my keys, read tips on the internet, NOTHING seems to work...:confused:
My key (with a blue-chip) and the FOB remote seemed to work before, so I figured it was my engine needs to dry out from the repetitive starting, so i waited 24 hours to re-start it, no success, so i tried the last resort, re-program my keys, 6x in & out, hazzard flash etc...at first it seemed working, but when i start the car ...cranking, turning but no start, ...now even the FOB cannot open close my doors, seems the FOB remote lost its communication with the dash computer....Do I have no choice than bring to dealer ? I tried pulling the anti-theft fuses out, no luck, the immobilizer CANNOT be de-activated....HELP !!!

#3 ·
DE-ACTIVATE the immobilizer

anyone else know if it is possible to DE-ACTIVATE the immobilizer, meaning... I dont have to be worried about not being able to start my own car , because Mr. Immobilizer thought it is someone else (a thief) :sad:

3 times is too much, Nissan should recall all cars with this issue ...what you think ?:)

#6 ·
This is quite an easy problem haha. I am currently doing my remote start for the same car right now and I know that issue you are having. After 1 or two full failed attempts to start your car the ECU knows not to turn on because it is locked. You have to put the key in the key cylinder, turn it to the on position but don't start the car, then count to 5 and then turn off the car and pull out the key for 5 seconds. Do this for a total of 3 times and the system resets. As for getting rid of the immobilizer that will be unlikely due to the fact that it sends info to the ECU to authorize it to turn on the car. However, you can bypass it like I did and then you will be able to use remote start and all the other good stuff. There are 3 types of ways to bypass the immobilizer but it will cost from 30 to 50 bucks.

#7 · (Edited)
By-pass Immobilizer ?

Hey Anyman,
WELL...this is :lock:GREAT news indeed !!!!!!!!! :lock:
Are you SURE 100% this works ?
When u you count to 5, do u mean like 5 seconds ?
Does this work ALWAYS ?

Unfortunately, the dealer "re-programmed" ..BS:soapbox: my key to the car for $90.00 + CAA towing + time wasted + frustration:soapbox:

If this works, we should have a class-action suit to get Nissan to pay up ALL the frustration and time wasted :banghead:+ the towing & the diagnose crap they charged me THREE times (in 9 years)

What are the 3 ways to by-pass the immobilizer ?

Thanks man ! I am surprised no one started a thread on this subject
This a a BIG money saviour

By the way, does RE-PROGRAMMING my FOB remote (to lock, unlock the doors, remote-start the car) screws up my immobilizer thingy ?
I heard about insert & remove 6 times ..etc.. WILL this interfere with the immobilizer and cause starting problem ?

THANKS ! THANKS ! THANKS!

#9 · (Edited)
I am a bit confused here...:confused:
If it always worked for you, why do you have to install a by-pass, you could just do the 5-seconds thing....right ?
It will work, and this problem happens once in a while anyway...why bother installing a by-pass, to enable thieves to steal your car ?...
also, you had to do it a few times when u were installing the bypass ???
why would you do the 5-seconds stuff, if you were installing a bypass, ..which would fix your problem anyway ?

unless I got something wrong...:confused:

Thanks again for help!

#10 ·
I think he still had to bypass it because he wanted to use remote start and didnt want to leave the key in the igintion to activiate the immobilizer. As far as disabling it, you could do what I did (the poor mans method). First off, the loop on my key broke off so i couldnt carry it. If you destroy your good key its like $120 to replace. Anyway, i cut the key apart and removed the blue chip, then removed the plastic cover for the steering column. There should be a black box looping around the iginition with two connectors. I glued the chip to the flat side of the box that faces the firewall (away from you).. Since I only had one chip, I held it there before glueing to make sure it would work - then started the car with my hardware store key. ...I then put it all together, had some plain old keys cut at ACE hardware and away I go! :)
Hope that helps, good luck!

#12 ·
I did it while it was working, I just didnt like to carry my only key to the car loose in my pocket. But I did activate the immobilzer several times finding the sweet spot for the chip. When the car wouldnt start and the red light lit up, I would just turn off the ignition, wait a few seconds, then slide the chip back into the original key and restart. The car would reset and I could go back to it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.