How to manually open trunk - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How to manually open trunk

I lost my keys to my 1997 nissan altima. The Trunk release from inside the hasn't worked since i bought it (used). I have access to the trunk through the back seat but cannot figure out how to manually operate the latch.

Also, can anyone confirm if the door key is the same key as the ignition. I never used the key in the door because the previous owner installed an aftermarket keyless entry system.

Thanks for any help!!! (and i know i should have multiple spares, but they were lost in a recent move)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2009, 06:20 PM
DIFFERENER

unless they change the the locks on the car then yes the keys are?
Try it and see

TOUGE TERROR

GEORGIA MUSCLE BOI
A/C & H.I.D'S CREW MEMBER #1
contact me on FB "sean glover" or s240sxvsp3c@aol.com
Old 01-30-2009, 06:41 PM
05 STi

There is no way to operate the latch manually from the outside without the key. That would defeat the purpose of a lock. yes ignition and trunk key are the same, unless as 94se stated they changed out the trunk lock.

Adios altima, Tis no more..
The new ride:
Tint, 3" TBE w/Megan Racing DP & Magnaflow muffler, TurboXs RFL bov, Injen CAI, Perrin manual boost controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclypse
i see. so you bore the headers, and increase compression through the cams?

quit typing, start hitting the search button. honestly, it works. but hey what do i know, ill be out in the garage boring the headers on my Nova..
Old 01-30-2009, 07:18 PM

Try to fix the inside latch.

1994 Nissan Altima GXE (Ruby Pearl) Auto 200k, Bomz Short-Ram Intake, Alpine 9856 Head Unit w/iPod Interface, Infinity 6" x 8" REF6812CF (Front x 2), Infinity 6-1/2" REF6012I (Rear x 2), Lemans Champion HR 195/60/R15, NGK Wires/Plugs, Pilot Lighting PL-1055C Fog Lights, Depo Chrome Headlights
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2382348

Old 01-30-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altima_Junkie View Post
There is no way to operate the latch manually from the outside without the key. That would defeat the purpose of a lock. yes ignition and trunk key are the same, unless as 94se stated they changed out the trunk lock.
I'm sure he means open manually from inside the trunk, I hope, lol.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan_fx View Post
I'm sure he means open manually from inside, I hope, lol.
I think there is bar inside which hold the latch. I will look in evening and let you know. Try to access the trunk from rear seat and see if you can see a hole or opening with a rod inside
Old 01-30-2009, 09:25 PM

LOL, yeah I'm trying to open the trunk from the gap in the middle of the backseat.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:06 PM

i highly doubt youll be able to get to it through the gap. if the seat doesnt fold down, youll likely have to remove it to have any chance of releasing it from inside.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:35 PM

The middle of the seat folds down giving access to the trunk. Not large enough for an adult to squeeze through, but I child could. (or the long metal rod I plan to use).
Old 01-31-2009, 05:16 PM
Chea

when i first got my car i thought the trunk release from the inside never worked beacuse when i pulled it it made no noise or anything..when i finally got the owners manual to my car i read that their is a little switch where the latch is that you push up and it lets you use the latch from the inside of the car...dont know if yours could be like this and you would be able to crawl in the trunk and try that.

i've also had to get in my trunk by removing the back seat and crawling in there...i think thats the only way...

ALTIMA UPGRADE GUIDE

93 Altima SE/5spd
Old 02-01-2009, 09:04 AM
See ya

^yep, its a security feature. You need to undo that latch and the inside lever will work.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarell1944 View Post
when i first got my car i thought the trunk release from the inside never worked beacuse when i pulled it it made no noise or anything..when i finally got the owners manual to my car i read that their is a little switch where the latch is that you push up and it lets you use the latch from the inside of the car...dont know if yours could be like this and you would be able to crawl in the trunk and try that.

i've also had to get in my trunk by removing the back seat and crawling in there...i think thats the only way...
theres a metal plate behind the rear seats with a few screws in it remove that panel and you can get into the trunk to reach that latch

....unless yer a skinny minnie like i was and can fit through that small hole lol
Old 02-02-2009, 10:27 PM
2600 lbs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I hope my trunk latch on the inside doesn't break...I had my trunk latch shaved off of the trunk

Old 02-09-2009, 06:06 PM
created with you in mind

yea i had this problem and still do you have to remove the seat by opening both back doors then you will see a metal plate remove the screws from that and when that is remove, get into the trunk and you will see the level reach your hand where the level part is at the there is a bar pull it right and the trunk will pop open and then you can fix it im broke right now the reason why i havent fix my yet but this is my second one
Old 06-20-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarell1944 View Post

glad I read this thread

I just bought a 97 altima gxe and the owner said the lever inside no longer worked. He had the car for 9 years, it's possible he never was able to use it as he was not aware of this magical safety latch inside the trunk. I moved it to the proper position and voila, my lever to the left of my driver seat works.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode