AC Drain Pipe - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-03-2009, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
AC Drain Pipe

How do you clear the AC drain pipe on a 2000 Altima? There is water leaking in the passenger side whenever the AC is on. I am positive it is clogged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-03-2009, 11:29 PM
2600 lbs

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
There is not really a specific way to clear it. I would jack up the car then get under it with a thin piece of metal with a small hook on it and stick it up there and try to pull out whatever is clogging it. I say PULL OUT because you don't just want to jam the metal rod up there and push the clog into the ac condenser box. Hopefully you can kindof finaggle the clog out of there. Other than that, you're looking at removing the entire dash board, dash board support bar, and the heater core to actually be able to remove the ac condenser box to completely clear it.

compressed air is another thing to try, but I think that will have the same results and just push the clog back up in there instead of pulling it out. And as far as I can remember, that plastic drain thing jammed into the firewall doesn't just pull out. But it might so I would try to just pop that out if possible.

the real question here though is how did it get clogged in the first place? debris can't get up in there from underneath the car and only water drains out which wouldn't clog it. UNLESS the ac condenser box is actually cracked, which is possible because a passenger could kick there foot up under the dashboard and potentially crack the plastic box that holds the condenser.

#3 Old 08-04-2009, 04:10 AM

Nah...not that simple. Crap from the outside slowly builds up in the evaporator box (not condenser), and eventually blocks the evaporator and the drain tube as well. Assuming you got a 2nd gen, with no cabin air filters, you can take off the glove box, unscrew the 4 screws holding the two halves of the evap box together, and carefully pry it open a bit (don't crack it). It'll just be enough for you to get in there with a hook or something, or as I did it with a 1/2" vinyl tubing duct taped to a vacuum hose. You can also cut out a square opening on the right lower side of the evap box with a sharp knife, and use that hole to clean it out and then duct tape the piece back in.
#4 Old 08-04-2009, 02:24 PM

(Thread Starter)
Seems there is no simpler way to do this so thanks. I will take the glove box out later this week. The evaporator box is pretty easy to spot?
#5 Old 08-04-2009, 04:15 PM

yeah, if you take out the glove box, heater core will be on the left, blower on the right, and evap in the middle.
#6 Old 08-04-2009, 10:43 PM
2600 lbs

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Haha, I always get my ac terms mixed up, I meant the evaporator box during that whole speech of mine.
#7 Old 08-05-2009, 04:16 AM

Forgot to mention one thing....Unless you have a pool inside your evaporator, most likely you have a crack in the evaporator housing. I don't think there are any seams other than the hole for the pipe on the lower half. So if it leaks, someone probably kicked it... You'll have to check!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode