Car Won't Turn over, battery is new - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 10:53 PM
2nd Gen Boy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Car Won't Turn over, battery is new

Drove to work fine, went to start car at lunch and it unlocked with the remote, I got in and turned the ignition to start, and no-noise, just all the lights on like normal. I later tried to jump-start it even though I figured it wasn't the battery, and it wouldn't start like that either. I turn the key and just hear nothing, everything else works. It's sitting at work, and I can't afford top dollar to get it fixed. Any quick ideas?? Starter? or something else?

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
2006 Ford Fusion SE V6 - OEM Spoiler - 18" Konig Wheels

Proud Husband of an EMT-I/Firefighter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2009, 11:20 PM

If all of your accessories work and you are unable to jump it off, my guess would be either the starter or possibly even a battery cable. Usually when the starter croaks it will at least give you a click when you turn the key... my best guess would be the battery cables, particularly the ones to the starter. I would also check the starter itself for corrosion and a good connection on all plugs/connectors.

If it is your starter, you might be able to disassemble the starter solenoid (haven't looked at these Nissan starters, so I'm not sure how feasible this actually is) and clean the contacts inside of it. When these contacts become corroded or otherwise dirty, they can cause the starter to fail. By cleaning them up real good and cleaning the plunger, usually you can get several more months of life out of the starter.

2000 Nissan Altima GXE 5 Speed 279,000M - R.I.P.
2002 Ford Mustang 3.8l 121,000M
2006 GMC Yukon SL 4.8l 110,000M

Old 09-14-2009, 11:26 PM
2nd Gen Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8820 View Post
If all of your accessories work and you are unable to jump it off, my guess would be either the starter or possibly even a battery cable. Usually when the starter croaks it will at least give you a click when you turn the key... my best guess would be the battery cables, particularly the ones to the starter. I would also check the starter itself for corrosion and a good connection on all plugs/connectors.

If it is your starter, you might be able to disassemble the starter solenoid (haven't looked at these Nissan starters, so I'm not sure how feasible this actually is) and clean the contacts inside of it. When these contacts become corroded or otherwise dirty, they can cause the starter to fail. By cleaning them up real good and cleaning the plunger, usually you can get several more months of life out of the starter.
Yeah the battery and battery cables were all replaced by Nissan in April of this year. I've checked the cables and they are tight, and everything seems to be getting power. It's just the car isn't even making any electronic noises at all. It's just as quiet as it is sitting there, as it is when I turn the key. And the I've only grinded the starter once in the whole time I've owned the car. I wish my mechanically inclined friends lived around here.

Last edited by porschebk85; 09-14-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:30 PM

That also sounds like it could be a relay. I don't see a starter relay on this car, though I did find a "Starter Signal" fuse in the fusebox under the hood. It's a 10A fuse located in the middle toward the bottom of the fuse panel; check it out, make sure it isn't blown.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:59 PM
The Don.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Its possible that the starter solenoid is not getting power. The issue could be coming from the parking/neutral interlock switch or clutch interlocking for M/T. You have to determine whether the starter solenoid is getting power and then take it from there.

'94 Nissan Altima SE, 5spd.
Erebuni 905, Turboing, Hotshot CAI, UR Pulley, Calum ECU,
HUD & ATC retrofitted, DEPO lamps, NGK Ignition wires.
ITEMS FOR SALE
Old 09-15-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschebk85 View Post
Drove to work fine, went to start car at lunch and it unlocked with the remote, I got in and turned the ignition to start, and no-noise, just all the lights on like normal. I later tried to jump-start it even though I figured it wasn't the battery, and it wouldn't start like that either. I turn the key and just hear nothing, everything else works. It's sitting at work, and I can't afford top dollar to get it fixed. Any quick ideas?? Starter? or something else?
Try this! When car is stopped, turn on the headlights and ask some friend to try starting it, while you'll be watching the headlights. If while trying to start your lights don't dim, then you have a starter problem.

Also see these threads:
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/gen...ust-click.html

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/gen...ont-start.html

Good luck.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:18 AM
2nd Gen Boy

Decided to have it towed to shop near my home, was quoted 290 for starter install. I decided I'll lose more money because I can't get to work, so I might as well get it done right away. Just pissed, I already spent good money a week ago getting the knock sensor replaced.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Decided to have it towed to shop near my home, was quoted 290 for starter install. I decided I'll lose more money because I can't get to work, so I might as well get it done right away. Just pissed, I already spent good money a week ago getting the knock sensor replaced.
290 sounds on the low side for this job. They're going to put you a crappy starter, you'll be back in business in a year. take care.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:26 AM
2nd Gen Boy

^ These guys are decent, they're just cheaper on the labor side. I've never had an issue with them yet.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:
^ These guys are decent, they're just cheaper on the labor side. I've never had an issue with them yet.
Well, I say that because I installed myself a new starter on my Altima 98 (198 kmile) last week and only the starter was 250 bucks. I spent about 3 hours to do the job so you could compute what labor is in $. You might be right, though I am in Canada.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:48 AM
2nd Gen Boy

oh wow 250, I looked at a brand new TYC OEM one for 80 new.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:52 AM
ewwfffff...another altima

could it be the chip in the key? may have gone bad

soon to be under massive construction.....

rightnow... master minding my '93 altima gxe.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:05 AM

Quote:
oh wow 250, I looked at a brand new TYC OEM one for 80 new.
Wow, that doesn't sounds right. Only the core return is about 80 bucks. Even the cheapest starter is about 120 USD. But maybe I am wrong, I don't want to discourage you. Well I bought a Bosch OEM all brand new. They say it exceeds OEM, whatever. I hope you'll be good for less money than me.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtkskater44 View Post
could it be the chip in the key? may have gone bad
If the chip in the key goes out (or isn't present) it will still allow the car to start up, but it will immediately die out.

Someone mentioned the park/neutral switch - I didn't think about that, but I agree it sounds very much like it could be the issue.

If it makes you feel any better about spending about $300 on the starter, I brought my altima in today to have the A/C checked out and apparently my compressor blew and it screwed up my entire A/C system... I'm shelling out $1300 to get it fixed.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8820 View Post
If the chip in the key goes out (or isn't present) it will still allow the car to start up, but it will immediately die out.

Someone mentioned the park/neutral switch - I didn't think about that, but I agree it sounds very much like it could be the issue.

If it makes you feel any better about spending about $300 on the starter, I brought my altima in today to have the A/C checked out and apparently my compressor blew and it screwed up my entire A/C system... I'm shelling out $1300 to get it fixed.
now I feel good about spending only 300 bucks. I seem to have some A/C problem. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I wonder if I overfilled it with refrigerant, though it was even worse before refilling. Any idea what should I check?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode