1994 Nissan Altima rough idle - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-05-2009, 01:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question 1994 Nissan Altima rough idle

Hello everyone! I was wondering if someone can help me?
My Altima could not pass NJ inspection on the count of high HC. I also noticed a rough idle lately, too. I changed my oil, replaced a broken vacuum hose that I found, put some Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant with Injector Cleaners and Fuel Conditioners into my gas, and cleaned the air intake filter. Then I went to a shop for re-inspection and they said I failed again cause of the high HC but they did not mention anything about the rough idle. So they said replace the distributor rotor, distributor cap, and spark plug wires. I replaced these items and also checked my fuel injectors by testing the resistance of the fuel injector to see if a bad fuel injector is causing the rough idling. All the injectors tested fine. So I was wondering what could cause the rough idling? And is the rough idling causing my car to produce high HC? Also I was told by someone who had the same problem in a 1999 Ford Explorer that it could be my EGR valve. I was wondering if that could be true? And is there a way to test that yourself? Another thing my car has a little over 100,000 miles on it

Thank You for any help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-03-2009, 02:35 AM

i have this rough idle problem too. up till like 2500 rpm in first and second gear. ive been researching and it might be the timing chain that is causing a rough idle. or possibly the MAF sensor. im not tech by any means, so i dont even know. but im gonna try it on my car and ill see if it works with my rough idle problem.
#3 Old 12-03-2009, 03:33 PM
The Don.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The rough idle and high HC are definitely related. HC means hydrocarbons, that's what fuel is made of, chains of hydrocarbon atoms. What is very likely happening is that the engine is misfiring. And that leaves behind a lot of fuel which doesn't get burnt (or just gets partially burnt) so it exits the tailpipe in a very raw state.

If your car was a '95 and newer model, the ECU has built-in engine misfiring capabilities, so it would had given you a check engine light and informed you through diagnostics of which cylinder(s) is misfiring. But you're on the '94 Altima so you have to rely on other methods to determine where the misfiring is coming from. A dead miss is the easiest to identify by doing a 'power balance' test. If you have a timing light you can put the magnetic pickup around each spark plug wire, one at a time, to see which cylinder(s) is causing erratic flashes or no flash at all.

If all this is completely foreign to you I suggest you just take it in for repairs.

'94 Nissan Altima SE, 5spd.
Erebuni 905, Turboing, Hotshot CAI, UR Pulley, Calum ECU,
HUD & ATC retrofitted, DEPO lamps, NGK Ignition wires.
ITEMS FOR SALE
#4 Old 12-07-2009, 08:23 AM
Premium Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jserrano View Post
The rough idle and high HC are definitely related. HC means hydrocarbons, that's what fuel is made of, chains of hydrocarbon atoms. What is very likely happening is that the engine is misfiring. And that leaves behind a lot of fuel which doesn't get burnt (or just gets partially burnt) so it exits the tailpipe in a very raw state.

If your car was a '95 and newer model, the ECU has built-in engine misfiring capabilities, so it would had given you a check engine light and informed you through diagnostics of which cylinder(s) is misfiring. But you're on the '94 Altima so you have to rely on other methods to determine where the misfiring is coming from. A dead miss is the easiest to identify by doing a 'power balance' test. If you have a timing light you can put the magnetic pickup around each spark plug wire, one at a time, to see which cylinder(s) is causing erratic flashes or no flash at all.

If all this is completely foreign to you I suggest you just take it in for repairs.
you my friend scare me with how you always have answers...

KA24DE-T
"The T stands for turbo, which translates to "im boosted bitches"

1991 - 240sx KA24DE-T 308whp 296wtq @ 12lbs
2000 - Altima KA24DE-T 372whp 338wtq @ 16lbs on e85
2001 - Altima STOCK Daily
#5 Old 12-07-2009, 02:41 PM
The Don.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't exactly know everything but can get to an answer in a relatively quick amount of time. That is, I'll either know it off hand, or can quickly look it up somewhere.

'94 Nissan Altima SE, 5spd.
Erebuni 905, Turboing, Hotshot CAI, UR Pulley, Calum ECU,
HUD & ATC retrofitted, DEPO lamps, NGK Ignition wires.
ITEMS FOR SALE
#6 Old 12-07-2009, 06:48 PM
DIY'er

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't know mate. I have the fsm but the answers that I get from you always seem to make more sense in reference to doing multiple trouble shooting steps.

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic20104_1.gif

5 and a half inches of clearance w/ 1" wheel gap? Thank you 235/40/18's... Thank you.

Check out my blog!!
http://awdu13.wordpress.com
#7 Old 03-23-2010, 09:00 PM

(Thread Starter)
I did find out what was causing the high HC and rough idling. My intake mainfold gasket at cylinder 1 was disintegrating so forming a vaccuum leak. So I just temporarly sealed it til I can get the money to replace it cause it is a lot of work to replace doing myself with simple tools.
#8 Old 03-23-2010, 09:39 PM

Just out of curiosity, how did you find the leak and what did you temporarily seal it with (RTV) ? Glad you found the problem...a fairly easy fix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode