Chug or Jerk when letting off accelerator... - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2009, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Chug or Jerk when letting off accelerator...

I have noticed lately that while driving, especially around 40mph, when I let off of the accelerator the car jerks as if I were downshifting a manual transmission (mine is automatic BTW). My fear is that I'm losing my transmission but I want to hope for the best since about a year and a half ago I had to drop a new engine in, two weeks ago I had to replace a rear stuck caliper and just this past weekend, I replaced the intake manifold gasket. I'm hoping that it's just a choking problem since when I let off of the accelerator, the RPM's rapidly drop about 1500-2000. If the transmission goes on this car, it will be the last straw. This has by far been the most troublesome vehicle I have ever owned.

Any ideas on what could cause this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2009, 05:56 PM
the Swan

Almost sounds a bit like an engine mount problem... it's causing the whole car to jerk right? Mine does that when downshifting as well... especially at certain speeds.

JoshHowardDesign
for all your Rendering/Design and RC needs...
1997 Altima Sold at 235K miles
2013 Altima Bought with 13 miles

Old 11-23-2009, 06:44 PM

I don't know if its the same problem, but mine does that sometimes when I left of the gas pedal... and mine is a manual. It stays in gear, it just jerks when you let off (and when you reapply) the gas pedal if the clutch isn't in.

2000 Nissan Altima GXE 5 Speed 279,000M - R.I.P.
2002 Ford Mustang 3.8l 121,000M
2006 GMC Yukon SL 4.8l 110,000M

Old 11-23-2009, 09:17 PM
The Don.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This all sounds like transmission and/or engine mount problems to me too.

'94 Nissan Altima SE, 5spd. Ultra Red (AJ4).
Erebuni 905, Turboing, Hotshot CAI, UR Pulley, Calum ECU,
HUD & ATC retrofitted, DEPO lamps /w Silverstars, NGK Ignition wires.
ITEMS FOR SALE
Old 11-24-2009, 02:04 AM

The engine mounts could be the issue since this is the second engine. However, today when I shifted into park after driving, the RPM's crept up to around 2500 and stayed. I popped the hood and pulled on the throttle cable a little bit and it went back down. When I got home I adjusted the throttle cable some with a few turns of the nuts and took care of the problem. Coincidentally, the chugging and jerking has been greatly reduced but it still does it right at about 40mph and has for quite some time.

I'll look into the motor mounts this weekend.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:54 PM
98 Altima GXE

i get the same thing dude. i have an automatic as well. it jerks and it feels like the car is slowing down a little. the gas pedal feels kinda "muddy". it happens around 40mph for me too but it doesnt do it all the time. after driving a while it either comes back or stops doing it. But i kinda realized it happens more when ive been accelerating harder than usual, ie: Merging or beating a yellow light

Polk Audio db6501 components front
Polk Audio db651 Coaxial back
Eclipse 12" sub in sealed box
TiS audio 750watt amp
Pioneer 7100bt Headunit
~
Custom WAI
00-01 headlight conversion
Custom interior paint
Altezza taillamps

Old 12-20-2009, 07:38 AM

what was the final verdict? Mount? I am having the same problem.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:32 PM

Yeah, I have noticed mine doing a little hesitation on accerleration. All of my motor mounts are pretty much blow (small cracks and completely dried out). I'll be headed to pull apart soon to see if I can find anything good. I am scared to see what the stealership has to offer. We looking $500 for all of them? More?
Old 12-23-2009, 02:20 AM

$25/$50 a piece from a parts store..

2000 Nissan Altima GXE 5 Speed 279,000M - R.I.P.
2002 Ford Mustang 3.8l 121,000M
2006 GMC Yukon SL 4.8l 110,000M

Old 12-23-2009, 04:18 AM

I understand what you are saying about the car jerking when letting off of the gas; you can add me to that list.

About the 40mph thing, is that in reference to the gas pedal thing, or are you referring to your engine running kind of sluggish. Mine runs real sluggish right at 40mph, as well as 2-3 mph up or down from 40. If I'm accelerating, it runs fine until about 38, than it kind of bogs down, and returns to running normal once I pass 42.

Is that what you are referring to? I would sure like to know what the hell that is.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:53 AM

From your symptom description, especially the throttle linkage adjustment, I'm thinking you may have a carboned-up throttle plate and it is "sticking" in the throttle bore and then quickly releasing when the return spring pressure exceeds the resistance.

Ted
Bellbrook, Oh.

2.5 SL, loaded
Stock
Born 7/7/07
Old 01-21-2010, 06:09 PM

Go ahead and add me to this list also if anyone finds anything. I am clueless

1999 Nissan Altima GXE
Auto
Old 01-22-2010, 02:14 AM
'00 Altima 5sp

With regards to the motor mounts, they're probably gone if it clunks or slams when it shifts up/down, if you hammer the gas, or if you're accelerating hard and it shifts during that. Personally, I never noticed any unusual slugglishness (my old car was slow as shit anyways).

On my last car (86 deville fwd) I was having similar problems, so I took it to a tranny shop. The mechanic took it around the block, and checked the engine under load (at a stop, hold the brake, and give it some gas, not enough to do a brake stand or anything bad). He said it was probably the mounts, so he took in the shop and put it on a lift, and showed me that the two front mounts were completely seperated. It ended up cost me close to 500$ to have them replaced, but that was due to the age of the car, the fact that it was a Cadillac (mounts were roughly 50-60 bucks each), and because they weren't sure which mounts they needed, so labour for trial and error. Should be cheaper on a newer and more common vehicle, like 80% of the cars made in the last decade.

One thing I did notice when I had the mount problem, and I've heard other people say as well, is that you can see the engine moving if the mount(s) are bust. Pop the hood, and get a buddy to watch the engine while you put it under load. You can kind of see the hood moving when your driving as well, but I'd advise watching the road ahead when you're rolling.

And I'd shop around before you take your car to a dealer (unless it's under warranty).

Last edited by Bauglir; 01-22-2010 at 02:17 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:47 PM

Garage
Okay so I pretty much agree with most of you guys here. I hardly post on this forum but this has been really bothering me as well. I only notice it the most on 40+mph or highway speeds. When I let off the acceleration it gives a little bump like i took cruise control off or something. When I reapply the acceleration, i get the same feeling again.

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S

Mods: DDM Tuning 6000k HID kit, LED license plate lights, Kenwood KDC-BT945U, 2 12" Kenwood subs, 1000w amp, Clifford 50.7X alarm/remote starter, custom SRI, interior led dome light, 2.5s debadged, & 35% tint.

Coming Soon: SE-R rims, SE-R spoiler, and M3 roof spoiler.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:13 PM

Yep I have the 5spd and I get the same thing. Seems worse in some gears and at some speeds than others but it's def there. I cleaned out my TB and I still get this problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode