2001 altima p1126 error code - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-20-2010, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2001 altima p1126 error code

I am pulling the p1126 code when ses light is on. I have heard differing answers as to what this is. Car is also sucking gas. What is the deal here? Is it the thermostat stuck open as some have said?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-22-2010, 12:17 AM
The Don.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes, most likely the thermostat is stuck opened. This code basically means that the engine is not warming up adequately as reported to the ECU via the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor.

If you hook up a scanner tool and read out the coolant temperature you will likely see the problem. Basically the engine temperature will be constantly hovering around 149F-158F. In that condition the ECU cannot go into close loop mode and it will also be enriching the fuel above normal operating conditions. That's why you're seeing poor gas mileage.

Wintertime conditions will worsen this even further because the ambient temperature is already quite low to start with, and a vehicle in motion will cause the coolant flowing through the radiator to cool down further, and finally since we normally operate the heater this will drive the coolant temperature down even further.

Good luck and let us know what you're found.

'94 Nissan Altima SE, 5spd.
Erebuni 905, Turboing, Hotshot CAI, UR Pulley, Calum ECU,
HUD & ATC retrofitted, DEPO lamps, NGK Ignition wires.
ITEMS FOR SALE
#3 Old 01-22-2010, 07:51 PM

(Thread Starter)
So I went to change out the thermostat today only to find that there wasn't even one in the car...I called the previous owner and he apparently had it removed when he had the coolant flushed a few years back with the idea that Florida cars don't need a thermostat. Misinformed people make me laugh. The guy never saw the true gas mileage this car could get. The cold weather recently must of triggered the check engine light. Glad I took care of this. Turned code off with scanner, lets see if it comes back on.
#4 Old 01-22-2010, 08:13 PM
05 STi

^^lol at dumbass prev owner.

Adios altima, Tis no more..
The new ride:
Tint, 3" TBE w/Megan Racing DP & Magnaflow muffler, TurboXs RFL bov, Injen CAI, Perrin manual boost controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclypse
i see. so you bore the headers, and increase compression through the cams?

quit typing, start hitting the search button. honestly, it works. but hey what do i know, ill be out in the garage boring the headers on my Nova..
#5 Old 01-22-2010, 10:54 PM

(Thread Starter)
Unfortunately I think I may have to do this again. I am not sure I let the rtv silicone goop dry long enough as there is a small leak from the thermostat housing now. My question is should i use the paper gasket that was provided or stick with the rtv? I figured i would try to stick with the rtv first because thats what was there and it was working...but how do them duralast paper gaskets hold up?
#6 Old 01-23-2010, 03:14 AM
The Don.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Don't use anything else but RTV or you could potentially also be creating a small bypass around the t-stat

'94 Nissan Altima SE, 5spd.
Erebuni 905, Turboing, Hotshot CAI, UR Pulley, Calum ECU,
HUD & ATC retrofitted, DEPO lamps, NGK Ignition wires.
ITEMS FOR SALE
#7 Old 01-23-2010, 11:05 AM

(Thread Starter)
What if I RTV around the T stat where the edge sits in the housing, then use the paper gasket for the housing? And if not, how long should I let the car sit before I refill the system? I am realling hoping that within the next 24 hours the RTV cures completely and stops the leak, but I doubt that will happen so how long should I let it sit this time to avoid this again?

Edit: Also, what about some rtv on both sides of the gasket that comes with the T stat? I really want to make sure I don't have to do this again as I rarely have time.

Last edited by jhands; 01-23-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode