Windshield wipers don't work - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

NissanClub.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 03:52 AM

Windshield wipers don't work

There is kind of a wiring mess under the steering wheel from a messy code alarm install, I took it out. But my windshield wipers do not work, they dont even make a noise when I try and turn them on, and will not activate the windshield water pump. Makes me think its the switch/lever maybe? or the wiring. But I know the wipers fuse is good, but could it be the relay? Thanks for any help. 94 altima gxe automatic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010, 03:15 PM
2600 lbs

^did you clean up and reattach all the wiring under the steering column? I kind of doubt that somebody installed an alarm and wired it into the windshield wipers, that would make no kind of sense.

Since you are saying that NOTHING works, as far as you can't even hear the motor for the wiper blades activate, or the washer fluid, I'd have to assume it's something with the wiring under the steering column.

Do you have a haynes manual or an FSM? They both have wiring diagrams in them. If you don't have either, tell me what color the wires are that are disconnected or not hooked up correctly and I can help you out by telling you where they go.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:57 PM

Hmm well what color are the wires for the windshield wipers?
Old 04-08-2010, 01:04 AM

Do the wipers work before you start the engine? If yes, then I had an issue related to the key switch not making connection on that circuit after cranking the engine. This will also make the clock not work.

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/gen...placement.html
Old 04-08-2010, 01:09 AM
2600 lbs

Before I go looking up and listing the wiring colors, you can take off the steering column cover, un-screw the wiper blade stalk assembly, and all the wires coming off the bottom of that are for the wiper blade system.

Have you replaced the relay to at least narrow that out as a possible fault?
Old 04-09-2010, 01:49 AM

Well I took the lever out and everything seems to be connected except there is one plug, has a light green wire connected to it, it is not connected to anything? I haven't seen any wires disconnected. Also on the ignition/key wires, the white with the black stripe was spliced into, i just cut it and reconnected it. Still nothing, have not tried a new relay just yet. Is there a way to apply power to the motor to see if it work? THanks for the help
Old 04-09-2010, 02:32 AM
2600 lbs

I would say to try a new relay first

I'll check on the wiring later, typing a paper tonight....
Old 04-09-2010, 03:32 AM

Thanks bro. Lucky it hasn't been raining or snowing much right now. I also have another question, my driver side window won't go up. I applied power to the motor and all it does is hums. Should I hit it with a hammer lol, maybe its jammed?
Old 04-09-2010, 04:28 PM

So is there a way to test out the relay? like with a multi meter? or maybe put one of the other relays in and check?
Old 04-28-2010, 03:15 AM

Well I tried a new relay and thats a no go. I checked to see if there was any power with a multi meter coming from the wiring that hooks up to the windshield wiper switch. And I get nothing, I hooked up power to some of the pins and like 3 pins set my horn off? I check for power at the wiring that plugs into the windshield motor and there is no power. Any help please.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:04 AM
2600 lbs

There is a way to check the relay, but i'm not sure how you do it, you'd have to search for that one. But you said you tried another one and it didn't work, so I doubt it's the relay, they RARELY go bad either, you basically have to short one out to destroy it.

You should only have one horn wire, if your car has the same wiring coloring as mine (as it should) the horn wire under the steering column is a dark green with a black tracer.

Do you have any access to wiring diagrams to look at? So you can see if the wiring under the steering column is hooked up correctly?
Old 04-29-2010, 12:37 AM

Here is the FSM for a '93-97 Altima. To check the wiper relay it will require an ohm meter. When the relay is removed from the circuit, pins 3 to pin 4 should show a short (< 1 Ohm) and pin 3 to pin 5 should be open. When you apply 12V from pin 1 to pin 2, you should hear the relay click closed and pin 3 to pin 5 will now show a short and pin 3 to pin 4 will be open.

I would start by making sure I had 12V everywhere I should (pin 1 of the relay, pin 4 of the wiper motor and go from there.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:14 PM

Well I have no power at any of those, i have also checked wire the fuse for the wiper goes into for power and nothing. How do I get power to this?
Old 05-01-2010, 11:28 PM

If you look at the very top of the two drawings, the power for this circuit is coming from your key switch when it is in the ACC or ON position... Is you clock dead as well? That is on this circuit also. Try rotating the key switch very slowly while watching the voltage on this circuit and see if it ever come back.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:55 PM

The following is your key switch output. The very left "D" goes to close the accessory relay and the other circuit (fuse 9) goes to the stereo. If your stereo doesn't work either, that points to the key switch.

This is your accessory relay. There are several other things on this circuit mainly your horn, mirrors, and your clock. If none of those other things work and your stereo still works, then it points to your accessory relay. Since I have had issues with my key switch, I would start there.

Just in case you find it's the key switch:
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/gen...placement.html

Last edited by Dshow; 05-02-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.