The Nissan Club banner

Brake Lights stay on

26K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  BGaZaR 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a 1994 Nissan Altima. The brake lights in my car won't turn off even on taking out the keys. I found that the rubber stopper in the brake pedal was broken. So I tried some alternative method to compress the plunger in the brake switch. However, even then the lights do not turn off unless i take out the stop light fuse.

Also, when I insert back the stop light fuse, there is a continuous dinging on open door even when the key is not inserted and also the right headlight stays on, on low beam and the right brake light does not turn on.

I am not sue if this erratic lighting behavior is due to unfunctional brake light switch or there is also some short-circuiting in circuit. Please advice.

Thanks

#3 ·
When I looked up on the brake pedal carefully, I found that there are actually two plunger switches. Earlier I was able to see only one. The one on the left and fully visible, I think it is for cruise control. Can someone who had similar issues confirm?

I found the rubber stoppers in both the holes are missing. About six months back, my cruise control stopped working but I never tried to find out why since it was not bothering me. I believe it should be able to work if I replace the stopper.

Anyways, I think I have to buy two stoppers and get those replaced by a mechanic since I am not able to reach there myself. Does anyone know any website where i can buy these and get shipped by USPS. Most of the sites are shipping using UPS which is like spending $ 10 on $3 parts.

#4 ·
I would try taking the switch out of the bracket at the pedal and work it by hand several times with the car against a barrier (or a helper to tell you the lights are going on and off).

If it sticks at any time or stays on when it shouldn't, replace the switch. It's probably the problem (more than likely).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.