LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-02-2010, 03:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Brake Lights stay on

Hi,

I have a 1994 Nissan Altima. The brake lights in my car won't turn off even on taking out the keys. I found that the rubber stopper in the brake pedal was broken. So I tried some alternative method to compress the plunger in the brake switch. However, even then the lights do not turn off unless i take out the stop light fuse.

Also, when I insert back the stop light fuse, there is a continuous dinging on open door even when the key is not inserted and also the right headlight stays on, on low beam and the right brake light does not turn on.

I am not sue if this erratic lighting behavior is due to unfunctional brake light switch or there is also some short-circuiting in circuit. Please advice.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-02-2010, 06:19 AM
DIFFERENER

i was going to say the plastic piece broke that would depress the brake light switch but i see thats not the case,im lost as to what could be your problem
#3 Old 05-02-2010, 05:24 PM

(Thread Starter)
When I looked up on the brake pedal carefully, I found that there are actually two plunger switches. Earlier I was able to see only one. The one on the left and fully visible, I think it is for cruise control. Can someone who had similar issues confirm?

I found the rubber stoppers in both the holes are missing. About six months back, my cruise control stopped working but I never tried to find out why since it was not bothering me. I believe it should be able to work if I replace the stopper.

Anyways, I think I have to buy two stoppers and get those replaced by a mechanic since I am not able to reach there myself. Does anyone know any website where i can buy these and get shipped by USPS. Most of the sites are shipping using UPS which is like spending $ 10 on $3 parts.
#4 Old 05-02-2010, 06:01 PM

I would try taking the switch out of the bracket at the pedal and work it by hand several times with the car against a barrier (or a helper to tell you the lights are going on and off).

If it sticks at any time or stays on when it shouldn't, replace the switch. It's probably the problem (more than likely).
#5 Old 05-03-2010, 07:02 PM
1997 Altima Limited

it happened to me, check you taillights where the bulb holders screw into the plastic holders for the bulbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 1993-2001 Nissan Altima Forums > General Nissan Altima Discussion (1993-2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode